Harley Davidson Forums banner

7441 - 7460 of 7523 Posts

·
Registered
2006 HD Ultra Glide Classic
25 Posts
removed the radio for my upgrade one coming today and installed some highway pegs. Going to be 70 here Sunday!
20210401_184549.jpg

·
Registered
2006 Electra Glide Ultra Classic - Houston, Texas
111 Posts
Well on my way to work this morning at 4am. Normally only a few cars out with folks heading in to work and maybe a drunk or two heading home. I see a motorcycle headlight behind me for about a mile staying a few bike lengths back. We get caught by the light at the freeway and he pulls up beside me. It's 48 degrees, I have my leather jacket, chaps and heavy gloves on. I look over and see this, shorts with butt hanging out. I got cold just seeing this. So, do you think he's leaving a party or going to work?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
they work, never would have thought they would make that much difference. don't know about the install though. they were on my bikes when i got them.
My bike came with them installed also. My neighbor took one look at my bike and said he had to get those. The next weekend he did. He said they were a real PIA to put on but, very well worth the effort in the end.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Well on my way to work this morning at 4am. Normally only a few cars out with folks heading in to work and maybe a drunk or two heading home. I see a motorcycle headlight behind me for about a mile staying a few bike lengths back. We get caught by the light at the freeway and he pulls up beside me. It's 48 degrees, I have my leather jacket, chaps and heavy gloves on. I look over and see this, shorts with butt hanging out. I got cold just seeing this. So, do you think he's leaving a party or going to work?

Either way: leaving the party or, heading to work: He's friggin NUTS. Better be a really short ride!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Took a quick ride out to Kramer Junction. Just to share the road with my son, riding down from Clovis CA. This morning. My Odo recorded 243.4 miles. While the Relieve app recorded 234.6 miles. (a 9 mile difference) I think my spedo is indicating about 4 mph faster than i am traveling.

The weather was a cool 60* leaving the barn. Just perfect for a leather jacket. By the time i got to Kramer Jct. it was 77*. Time to trade the Jacket for the vest on the way back, where the temps maxed out at 80* Nice run! It was very relaxing to ride with a much more experienced rider, for a change!

The whole run i got maybe 10 or 12 bug impacts. I opened up the helmet exiting the freeway and a friggin bee smacked dead center of my right lenz. Thank God, i was wearing the sunglasses!
Not 5 minutes after we pulled in the driveway. A dump-truck shows up two doors up the street and dumped a load of pea gravel in the neighbors drive. The nice breeze was blowing straight to the house. This caused the entire cloud of dust to head straight over the bikes to drop! :mad: The bikes were looking all shiny a moment before! Then this $hiite for brains truck driver, missed the pickup parked across the street by the thickness of the paint while pulling out. He was in a hurry! John and i were standing next to the bikes as the cloud of dirt fell on us. (If looks could kill) He prolly thought he was about to have a three sided conversation..:unsure: John stands at 6'8" @ 240-250#. With a bright red beard to the middle of his chest. The truck driver obviously did not want to play.

·
Registered
2006 HD Ultra Glide Classic
25 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Nice ride to Riverside Harley via the backroads with my son and DIL today. The temps started out at 75 and ended up at 85. Fun riding with family. Lisa volunteered to babysit the grandkids.

·
weird member
2,774 Posts
I had an eventful day riding. First, in the far left lane of a 6-lane and this guy 3 cars up, who was going 30 in a 40 mph zone, just slams hard on their brakes for no reason, then continues putting on, doesn't even change lanes. The middle lane is equally being slowed down by someone doing 35 mph, so it took a bit to get to get over to the middle, couldn't even get to the right because of everyone from both the left and middle lanes moving to the right to pass these two idiots that don't understand the concept of "slower traffic keep right". Slowly pass the far left-er in the middle behind the less slow slowpoke, get back in the left to pass the slow middle-er. By the way, both of these slowpokes had PLENTY of opportunities to move over (had been watching them from a ways back).

Get further down the road and these three bikes come out of a shopping center on the left and bop through the two cars behind me, splitting/filtering illegally and end up behind me at the next stop light. One pulls up next to me and says "nice bike", and I look over and he's on a dirty Ninja that looks just like 95% of all the other sport bikes, I just say thanks. Then the guy starts trying to small talk me, asking if I was from the area. Light is about to change but, I mean, this isn't the time for a conversation, but I answer that I do live around here. Light changes, pull off and he waits a second then the three of them split past me with the third one coming WAY too close to me, but I saw them coming and stayed as far left as I could. Pretty dick move, gd squids. They continue their illegal filtering on up the road.

Anyway, go further down the road and I almost rear-end someone. So what happened was, there was an SUV in front of me going the speed limit (now 45), and I had a good follow distance. Then, out of nowhere, no turn signal, no brake lights, nothing, he just darts into the right lane barely missing a car in front of him which was going 20 mph and seemed lost (please, do not do 20 in a 45 on a 6-lane highway, if you're lost, pull off). So basically was like a brick wall popping up out of nowhere, couldn't go right so I got on my brakes, no big deal.

Get past that idiot and come upon the exact same situation again, someone in front of me not paying attention and jumping over a lane at the last minute to go around a practically stopped car (who itself was not signalling so, but apparently trying to get over and cross 3 lanes of traffic at the last minute for a right-turn). This one was a little scary, I still had good follow distance, but the giant SUV behind me was right on my butt before this happened, they came within inches of me, and I was prepared to fully thread the needle to the left of the practically not moving car to avoid being hit.

Side-note, every one of these incidents were caused by local drivers (Alabama tag numbering system makes it easy to tell, first two numbers are a county code, 38 is the county I live in, 37 is the one just north, 34 is the one just west, etc). So it's not like lost out-of-towners.

Crazy thing, traffic wasn't even nearly as heavy today, probably 1/3 of what it had been the rest of the week. Get online and look at the local rag and there were two separate, 4-vehicle accidents one hour apart from each other and on opposite ends of the city.

Gotta love holiday weekends. You'd think considering how holiday traffic is, that people might pay a little more attention... but apparently, they do the opposite and just allow themselves to be extra distracted.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I had an eventful day riding. First, in the far left lane of a 6-lane and this guy 3 cars up, who was going 30 in a 40 mph zone, just slams hard on their brakes for no reason, then continues putting on, doesn't even change lanes. The middle lane is equally being slowed down by someone doing 35 mph, so it took a bit to get to get over to the middle, couldn't even get to the right because of everyone from both the left and middle lanes moving to the right to pass these two idiots that don't understand the concept of "slower traffic keep right". Slowly pass the far left-er in the middle behind the less slow slowpoke, get back in the left to pass the slow middle-er. By the way, both of these slowpokes had PLENTY of opportunities to move over (had been watching them from a ways back).

Get further down the road and these three bikes come out of a shopping center on the left and bop through the two cars behind me, splitting/filtering illegally and end up behind me at the next stop light. One pulls up next to me and says "nice bike", and I look over and he's on a dirty Ninja that looks just like 95% of all the other sport bikes, I just say thanks. Then the guy starts trying to small talk me, asking if I was from the area. Light is about to change but, I mean, this isn't the time for a conversation, but I answer that I do live around here. Light changes, pull off and he waits a second then the three of them split past me with the third one coming WAY too close to me, but I saw them coming and stayed as far left as I could. Pretty dick move, gd squids. They continue their illegal filtering on up the road.

Anyway, go further down the road and I almost rear-end someone. So what happened was, there was an SUV in front of me going the speed limit (now 45), and I had a good follow distance. Then, out of nowhere, no turn signal, no brake lights, nothing, he just darts into the right lane barely missing a car in front of him which was going 20 mph and seemed lost (please, do not do 20 in a 45 on a 6-lane highway, if you're lost, pull off). So basically was like a brick wall popping up out of nowhere, couldn't go right so I got on my brakes, no big deal.

Get past that idiot and come upon the exact same situation again, someone in front of me not paying attention and jumping over a lane at the last minute to go around a practically stopped car (who itself was not signalling so, but apparently trying to get over and cross 3 lanes of traffic at the last minute for a right-turn). This one was a little scary, I still had good follow distance, but the giant SUV behind me was right on my butt before this happened, they came within inches of me, and I was prepared to fully thread the needle to the left of the practically not moving car to avoid being hit.

Side-note, every one of these incidents were caused by local drivers (Alabama tag numbering system makes it easy to tell, first two numbers are a county code, 38 is the county I live in, 37 is the one just north, 34 is the one just west, etc). So it's not like lost out-of-towners.

Crazy thing, traffic wasn't even nearly as heavy today, probably 1/3 of what it had been the rest of the week. Get online and look at the local rag and there were two separate, 4-vehicle accidents one hour apart from each other and on opposite ends of the city.

Gotta love holiday weekends. You'd think considering how holiday traffic is, that people might pay a little more attention... but apparently, they do the opposite and just allow themselves to be extra distracted.
Glad to hear that you wasn't involved in an accident these days you need eyes in the back of your head.
Stay safe and enjoy Easter Sunday

·
weird member
2,774 Posts
Glad to hear that you wasn't involved in an accident these days you need eyes in the back of your head.
Stay safe and enjoy Easter Sunday
It helps to always have situational awareness up, making sure you always know what's going on beside or behind you and always re-planning potential escape routes.

There's been other times where I made an evasive maneuver that wasn't or wouldn't have necessary. Some people like to always brake late and hard for some reason, it's really annoying, but when they come up on a side street, it looks like they're not going to stop because they whip up so fast. I'd rather avoid nothing, than to not avoid something.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
It helps to always have situational awareness up, making sure you always know what's going on beside or behind you and always re-planning potential escape routes.

There's been other times where I made an evasive maneuver that wasn't or wouldn't have necessary. Some people like to always brake late and hard for some reason, it's really annoying, but when they come up on a side street, it looks like they're not going to stop because they whip up so fast. I'd rather avoid nothing, than to not avoid something.
That right there is the only way i know, to say alive!
Dodging ghost makes for a safe ride and more tomorrows!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Was awake at 5:00 this morning, left the house at 6:15 at 39* headed for downtown for 7:00 low mass. Thirty minutes in that temp is about all I want but I knew by 8:00 it was going to be in the 40’s, headed for 70 here today. Goodbye winter.

7441 - 7460 of 7523 Posts