Harley Davidson Forums banner

7481 - 7500 of 7523 Posts

·
weird member
2,774 Posts
Sorry to hear that app gave you a hard time! It seems to work on this end of the country. Whenever i remember to turn it on anyways.
It could be that it isn't coded well for Android, or specifically for Android 11 (from what I understand, Google changed a lot of coding things with Android). That's Android's main problem really, it changes way too much and way too often between versions, making it a moving target for developers. Android 11 and various changes broke a lot of apps, even the OS itself was broken in several ways (like a touch issue on the lower half of the screen just fixed at the beginning of last month), and now they've announced Android 12 available for developers (kind of like early/beta), so they haven't even fully worked out the kinks in this version before the next one.

But anyway, a lot of reviews on Google Play store mentions issues with finding and maintaining GPS, and that's on all different makes of phone and versions of Android.

I can say the app was super easy to use and setup, it didn't crash or anything, and would be cool if its basic function didn't get so easily broken.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It could be that it isn't coded well for Android, or specifically for Android 11 (from what I understand, Google changed a lot of coding things with Android). That's Android's main problem really, it changes way too much and way too often between versions, making it a moving target for developers. Android 11 and various changes broke a lot of apps, even the OS itself was broken in several ways (like a touch issue on the lower half of the screen just fixed at the beginning of last month), and now they've announced Android 12 available for developers (kind of like early/beta), so they haven't even fully worked out the kinks in this version before the next one.

But anyway, a lot of reviews on Google Play store mentions issues with finding and maintaining GPS, and that's on all different makes of phone and versions of Android.

I can say the app was super easy to use and setup, it didn't crash or anything, and would be cool if its basic function didn't get so easily broken.
My phone is a Galaxy Note 8 (Android). No idea what version or even how to look it up. I will say the Google Maps on my phone is just a PIA. I have yet to find a "Go to ???" GPS that is worth a hoot on this phone. They all seem to want to find a faster route. I don't want a faster route! Just want it to live map to wherever i am going and quit asking me questions that can only be answered by touching the stupid screen... Kinda difficult when it's in the tour pack or, even when mounted on the bars. ( It's too big to fit in the media compartment) Then with all the vibration, i can't read the dumb screen - let alone touch it in the correct spot. Just wish it would leave the map up and continue on its way to the destination.

The Relieve app just runs in the background, a fun app to share the trip afterwards. But it can't plan a route.
I am nearly deaf and absolutely refuse to pay for any kind of a stereo upgrade for the bike. Especially at the MoCo price tags... Personally imo radios are the 2nd most dumbest things ever put on a motorcycle... Fishtails are #1. But that's just me.

I did buy a shorty antenna from MoCo last Saturday, just cause the standard one that came on the bike keeps trying to poke out my eye, every time i walk past the bike. (And the threaded post is looking kinda shabby, with the chrome peeling in the threads. So the shorty hides that too.)

·
Registered
41,130 Posts

Hmm, I havent had any problems with Android 11 on my Pixel 3 XL.

Could be the problem is with other manufacturers overlays on top of pure Android.

·
weird member
2,774 Posts
Hmm, I havent had any problems with Android 11 on my Pixel 3 XL.

Could be the problem is with other manufacturers overlays on top of pure Android.
My phone is a Pixel 4a 5G.

They were all a pretty well documented bugs... though it may have only affected some of the Pixel phones and not others:
google pixel android 11 touch bug - Google Search

I don't use a third-party launcher, just the vanilla Android 11 and I had the touch bug where the phone wouldn't register touches on the bottom half of the screen. It was fixed with the update at the beginning of last month. And I had no screen protector or anything at the time (though I did and still have the 3-button bottom navigation option turned on).

There were also bugs involving WebView that had to be fixed by an update to WebView:
[Update: Mar. 31] Android 11 update bugs, issues & problems tracker - PiunikaWeb

·
Registered
6 Posts
First good run out over the weekend, North Yorkshire coast, over the North Yorkshire Moors to the North Yorkshire dales. Twisties on the way out and A roads back, a fine ride. Sportster running sweet even though she's using a little oil. Bloody cold still though, a little snow over the Moors.

·
Registered
41,130 Posts
My phone is a Pixel 4a 5G.

They were all a pretty well documented bugs... though it may have only affected some of the Pixel phones and not others:
google pixel android 11 touch bug - Google Search

I don't use a third-party launcher, just the vanilla Android 11 and I had the touch bug where the phone wouldn't register touches on the bottom half of the screen. It was fixed with the update at the beginning of last month. And I had no screen protector or anything at the time (though I did and still have the 3-button bottom navigation option turned on).

There were also bugs involving WebView that had to be fixed by an update to WebView:
[Update: Mar. 31] Android 11 update bugs, issues & problems tracker - PiunikaWeb

Hmm, looks like the touch bug only affected 4a.

I must have gotten lucky when choosing to upgrade.
Aside from needing to get camera and battery replaced, I've been pretty happy with my 3 XL.

I think I have one more major OS upgrade, so I probably wont get a new phone until Android 13/Pixel 7(XL).

Reactions: sardonicus87

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,097 Posts
Finally got the exhaust welded and put back together on the Beast, a few days later than I wanted. I'm no welder but that flux wire feed welder from HF did the job and not too bad for me doing it. I need many more hours of practice to get better at that. Anyway, after work it's tire changing time on Daisy. Finally. Too many set-backs slowing me down and I hate that. I have no patience for stupid people slowing me down when I need to get something done. I have been told that I need to be more understanding and blah blah blah. I think that the people in the way need to be understanding that when I say I'm going to be doing something at this day and time, then get out of my way! I don't do that to anyone so I expect some curtesy back. But anyway, back on track hopefully today. I need to purge some more idiots from my life. My bikes come before idiots. Yeah, I know, easier said than done.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Ordered a new 6 volt battery. I guess they don’t last forever!! It’ll be here Wednesday. I hope to get the old girl going again!
What year is that Indian?

Reactions: rapier57

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Got out on the bike today. Rode down to Rosalia, then out to Malden and Pine City. It was heartbreaking to see the damage from the November fire. From there, I went to St. John via the Pine City-Malden road, and then to Steptoe via SR 23. Went out to the farm, but no one was around, so I just headed home via US 195. About 140 miles. Beautiful day.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Not on the bike, in the truck but, kinda interesting anyway:
Heading home from work as i getting to the freeway on ramp. I hear intermittent sirens that sounded like they were headed southbound. I get on the freeway going north. About a half hour later (10 mph on 5 lanes in Temecula) A black 4wd pickup is flying past traffic in the center median with a huge pack of CHP and Sheriff tailing him.

I got home about 45 min later and within 10 min sit for dinner.. Turn on the tv and there's the live pursuit. This went on until just about 7pm. A two hour high speed pursuit, chasing a murder suspect. That ended with him t-boneing a semi on city streets.

I was surprised just how few bikes were out today. Lucky for all, with all the cagers in the left lane swerving to their right as the high speed parade flew by! I didn't even see one bike in the entire pursuit on tv either. Odd for a bluebird day in SoCal. Ride safe everyone!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Replaced the 'stage one' air cleaner on my 2006 Road King. Thought the dealer price quite hefty at nearly $48 with sales tax, however, after market prices are even higher! Bike has a bit over 20,000 miles on it... bought used in 2018.
Attached pictures show why it needed replacement. Difficult to see in the picture but stamped on the cover is the notation "DRY TYPE ELEMENT" "DO NOT OIL".
It is common knowledge that exhaust is re-circulated to the intake thereby oiling the air cleaner. The resultant deterioration of the rubber from oil is shown in the second picture. What it does not show is the carbon on the pistons... will have to pull plugs and inspect them with the bore scope.

air filter_1.JPG
air filter_2.JPG

·
Try'n to behave
6,203 Posts
Replaced the 'stage one' air cleaner on my 2006 Road King. Thought the dealer price quite hefty at nearly $48 with sales tax, however, after market prices are even higher!
Attached pictures show why it needed replacement. Difficult to see in the picture but stamped on the cover is the notation "DRY TYPE ELEMENT" "DO NOT OIL".
It is common knowledge that exhaust is re-circulated to the intake thereby oiling the air cleaner. The resultant deterioration of the rubber from oil is shown in the second picture. What it does not show is the carbon on the pistons... will have to pull plugs and inspect them with the bore scope.

View attachment 794194 View attachment 794195
I just did the external breather bypass to prevent that very thing. I just did an external filter until I can find a catch can I like and is reasonably priced.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,097 Posts
Finally got the rear tire replaced. Tire going on the wheel was one of the easiest that I have ever done, wheel going on the bike, not so much. What a PITA dealing with the brakes. Nothing wanted to line up and the spacers kept wanting to fall out blah blah blah. Then suddenly the stars aligned and everything just fell into place like butter, and the wheel was back on. That was odd, but whatever it's back on. I didn't realize how off balance the wheel was and it showed where the cords were sticking out. Yeah, that bad. Now the balance is prefect because I took my time with it. It'[s nice having my own balance/truing stand. It works on everything that I have right now and that is nice as well. Beautiful ride in this morning and Daisy was smooooth on the roads.

7481 - 7500 of 7523 Posts