Harley Davidson Forums banner

7761 - 7780 of 7862 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Sunday, I rode out to the Turnbull WLR. It was a bit cool with cotton-ball clouds drifting through. But a good ride. Had planned to go to Rock Lake and around, but decided to make a shorter loop. Saw something I don't usually see here. Some Turkey Vultures were clustered on the side of the road. About 4. Getting into some road kill. At first, I thought they were ravens, then one took off and I thought, "That's too big for a raven." I slowed just a bit, then I saw the red heads on the other birds. Yep. Turkey Vultures. We do get a few here.

Anyway, I did get a pic out at the pond on the refuge. There was actually water in it this time! The winter wheat is growing pretty well, and the spring wheat is coming up now.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,199 Posts
Probably just easier to get a new Lowrider S with a 114........

Edit: I was referring to the post about the conversion kit.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,199 Posts
First “real” ride in 2 weeks after snow and travel. Took the Cincinnati-Columbus road out past Dayton. Considered stopping at the Air Force museum, but headed to Yellow Springs instead. Neat town, tons of traffic, parking was a struggle. Reminded me a little of Sedona w/ all the shops/artsie stuff, but with mid-West flavor, and no mountains, or reddish-purple rocks, or 110 degree temps.... Stopped at Dino’s Cappuccinos for a nice frothy one and a muffin, then headed back to the Natti. Saw more bikes than cars between Yellow Springs and Waynesville. 124 miles and a nice sun burn on my face - felt good. Hope everyone had a great weekend! Here’s a random picture of a train station w/ no bike pose because it was on the pedestrian/bicycle trail. View attachment 794887
Sounds like we have chewed on the same dirt a bit. I grew up in Dayton and used to ride all around abouts where you were. Been quite awhile and I don't remember all the road names but Yellow Springs was always interesting. Is Antioch college still there? And what about Young's Jersey Dairy? We used to get really really baked and then head there for Bull-shakes. The 80s were fun times in Ohio.

Reactions: siriusblue

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made my own leather console insert. Last week I replaced the from shocks with legend mono tubes and the handlebars with chubby 518s. Week before that I replaced the rear shocks with legends. In 2018 I replaced seats with saddlemen lariat. Later this week I’m replacing the stock air filter with V&H VO2 Rogue and adding an FP3. It already had V&H slip ons when I bought it in 2017. 2009 road king Classic. 35B243C4-141B-408C-A862-6EA09D62ED5A.jpeg
43DBD1F1-50ED-450F-8BF6-BBA6CDB0819B.jpeg

·
old scoot coot
4,570 Posts
I loved those monotube on my NightTrain. :nod

Ordered a new seat for my LowRider. Ordered a C&C, same company that makes Whiplash Speed Co. Should come in just in time for ES. Currently at 2-4 week lead time for production.

Saddle bags should be in this week or next.

Hopefully the last of the stuff for my motor work comes in this week so I can get it in the shop and get that done.
cool, sounds like it will all come together in time for reunion! i guarantee we all will be grabbing gears trying to keep up with brian. when his mom asks if its fast he can in good concience say " hell yea!"

·
old scoot coot
4,570 Posts
I made my own leather console insert. Last week I replaced the from shocks with legend mono tubes and the handlebars with chubby 518s. Week before that I replaced the rear shocks with legends. In 2018 I replaced seats with saddlemen lariat. Later this week I’m replacing the stock air filter with V&H VO2 Rogue and adding an FP3. It already had V&H slip ons when I bought it in 2017. 2009 road king Classic. View attachment 794947 View attachment 794948 View attachment 794948 View attachment 794947
welcome aboard joe from s.e. kansas. great lookin scoot i like the color combo. nice job on the console insert! stick around and have some fun. lots of friendly folks and harley knowledge on this site.

·
Registered
775 Posts
An awesome ride this past Sunday with a group of friends. Got home, let the bike cool down and went outside to cover her up.
As I'm walking up to the bike, I notice on rear tire there is a strange marking on it. I take a closer look and lo and behold all of the rubber was completely stripped off of a portion of the tire. It's down to the mesh. I couldn't believe it!
We always check tires before we leave and have never noticed this prior.
Time for new tires!!!!
As a side note, does anyone recall that I was asking about tires just a couple months ago thinking we needed new ones? 🤨

·
Noel
10,228 Posts
Reactions: JTJ

·
Registered
156 Posts
Been quite awhile and I don't remember all the road names but Yellow Springs was always interesting. Is Antioch college still there? And what about Young's Jersey Dairy? We used to get really really baked and then head there for Bull-shakes. The 80s were fun times in Ohio.
Antioch is still there, but I did not stumble upon any holy hand grenades:) (What a great name that would be for a drink in a bar in that town). Don’t recall seeing Young’s, though. Main roads are pretty straight, but lots of twisties if you get off the beaten path.

Reactions: Kainam

·
old scoot coot
4,570 Posts
Sunday, I rode out to the Turnbull WLR. It was a bit cool with cotton-ball clouds drifting through. But a good ride. Had planned to go to Rock Lake and around, but decided to make a shorter loop. Saw something I don't usually see here. Some Turkey Vultures were clustered on the side of the road. About 4. Getting into some road kill. At first, I thought they were ravens, then one took off and I thought, "That's too big for a raven." I slowed just a bit, then I saw the red heads on the other birds. Yep. Turkey Vultures. We do get a few here.

Anyway, I did get a pic out at the pond on the refuge. There was actually water in it this time! The winter wheat is growing pretty well, and the spring wheat is coming up now.

View attachment 794938
those things are big and lazy too. they will wait till you are right up on them to launch. hit one at 70 he may knock ya off your scoot.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,199 Posts
Reactions: Manduhlyn

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Is your bike still stock? I couldn't tell from the pics if that is the stock exhaust and air cleaner. And if it is, does it have enough power as is? If I was to trade I will not have $$ for upgrades for a long time so I would have to leave it stock if it's good enough.
Rinehart slip-ons, the rest is stock. I find the 107 to be plenty powerful. Most of what I added was to customize the look to my liking.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I will get this thread back on topic!
I replaced the fork oil, screws, washers and cap rubber seals.
33k miles and apparently original fork oil being it was pretty dark and there was thread lock on the screws.
14 ounces came out, 14 ounces of HD type E went back in.
Manual called for 14.2 but HD dealer mechanic said you will never get it all out unless you fully dissemble the forks. Makes sense to me.

·
Former Lurker
3,460 Posts
My 825$ rewards card came in, going to pre-order my new tire so they are available when it's needed, I don't want to be held up for a back order delay. Is the consensus AE's for the long haul value?

HD P&A site shows these options

Suggested tires:
DUNLOP D408 130/60B19 FRONT TIRE

Color: Black Wall Item: 43100045

DUNLOP TIRE SERIES - D407 180/55B118 BLACKWALL - 18 IN. REAR
Color: Black Wall Item: 43200045
I have some AE's on order. Been about 3 weeks. They says they might be in Friday.
On another note, how many miles has everyone been getting on brakes? Just doing pads, replace all fluid? Rotor work?
I know riding styles and stop and go makes a big difference, but most of us cruise more than ride traffic jams...
Just curious, want to see what ya'll think. Might see about some brake work when changing tires...

·
Registered
97 Posts
[/QUOTE]I have some AE's on order. Been about 3 weeks. They says they might be in Friday.
On another note, how many miles has everyone been getting on brakes? Just doing pads, replace all fluid? Rotor work?
I know riding styles and stop and go makes a big difference, but most of us cruise more than ride traffic jams...
Just curious, want to see what ya'll think. Might see about some brake work when changing tires...[/QUOTE]
Funny you mentioned that as I replaced my rear pads also when I did fork oil.
I was getting a slight grinding noise coming to a complete stop. No grooves in rotor.
Glad I removed caliper and inspected. The pads had about 1/16 of lining left on the inboard pad and 1/32 on the outboard pad so I replaced them.
Inspected the fronts and had plenty of pad left so the PO must have used the rear quite a bit.

·
old scoot coot
4,570 Posts
I have some AE's on order. Been about 3 weeks. They says they might be in Friday.
Just curious, want to see what ya'll think. Might see about some brake work when changing tires...
[/QUOTE]
Funny you mentioned that as I replaced my rear pads also when I did fork oil.
I was getting a slight grinding noise coming to a complete stop. No grooves in rotor.
Glad I removed caliper and inspected. The pads had about 1/16 of lining left on the inboard pad and 1/32 on the outboard pad so I replaced them.
Inspected the fronts and had plenty of pad left so the PO must have used the rear quite a bit.
[/QUOTE]
or the fronts were replaced recently. i get abouty 35,000 miles on semi metallic pads. the organics less than half that.

·
Noel
10,228 Posts
I had a look yesterday, when checking the tire spec's, my rear pads are at 50% or better, the fronts might have 25% or less to go, some time after I return from a Long Island run when the bike goes in for tires, I am going to have them swap all pads and hydraulic flush since it's now over 2 years. Also thinking of having rear wheel bearings swapped out, I get a bit of a howl when banking at high & medium speeds lately.

7761 - 7780 of 7862 Posts