Harley Davidson Forums banner

8141 - 8160 of 8280 Posts

·
old scoot coot
4,765 Posts
ahhh, summer is back. had a good solo ride today. 80 heading out 96 (index 105) coming back. 267 miles in severe clear and sunshine. fury running crisp. i rode down to skiatook then west over to ralston and north to wind farms and into pahuska. then north to sedan and on in through indy. a good ride, and a good time was had by tommy.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Going to a bikers wake tonight, for a fellow rider who died in his sleep a week ago Tuesday, a jokester that most always wore overalls when he rode and tended to wear either a leather top hat or cowboy hat when we were at a stop.

·
weird member
2,982 Posts
New shift linkage came in today (one end is a heim joint, the other a ball with a stud). Just put it on and adjusted it. So much smoother than the other. I'll get to ride with it tomorrow. I put the heim end on the shifter pawl because it was easier that way, plus the stud was too long. No instructions came with it but I am guessing that's how they intended it to go on. I just had to go pickup a 5/16-24 cap screw for that end as it didn't come with one.

Nothing fancy, just a basic chrome plated steel rod. I thought about getting one of those fancy looking ones, but I couldn't find one that I liked the look of in the right length.

PXL_20210611_231610973.jpg

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Going to a bikers wake tonight, for a fellow rider who died in his sleep a week ago Tuesday, a jokester that most always wore overalls when he rode and tended to wear either a leather top hat or cowboy hat when we were at a stop.
Sorry to hear the loss of a friend!
But that's gotta be the best way to check out!

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,223 Posts
Had to change rear tire on my VTX because a belt broke and man was that an interesting ride after that. No one had the tire I wanted so I went back to darksiding for now. Check out this tire. That was crazy fun when that popped up. Literally!
20210608_203832.jpg

·
old scoot coot
4,765 Posts
well, i left for redings mill, mo over south of joplin at 9:30 this morning. they have good ice cream at a sandwich shop there. and got home about 6:00 ish. i was light $300 and still felt like i won the lottery. 196miles on a nice summer day. i was cruising east on I44 at 80 per in the left,fast, lane and nothing. just like i turned the switch off cars and trucks everywhere. i popped on the four ways and manuvered over to the right shoulder loosing speed quickly. when i got down to a walk i could tell it was still running in limp mode. maybe 10 mph, i doubt even that fast. i was about a hundred yards from the racine exit north of the hideout hd dealer. i limped on over to the dlr maybe an eighth to a quarter of a mile and pulled up to svc entrance. there were no codes when i left this morning but a buttload when i checked after the breakdown. if you have to break down this is the way to do it. engine was fine i knew it had to be electrical. i pulled it in to svc at eleven and they finished at four thirty. they said a bunch of worn in two wires where tuner is and O2 sensors are. i havn't checked repair and locations of bad wires yet but will investigate and see what all codes refer to. man yesterday i was out in s.w. oklahoma solo, not even any coyotes or jack rabbits around. last weekend three days in arkansas at reunion trip down and back and more solo rides the last two weeks. it breaks down today almost right in hideouts hd's front yard. hell if it had quit in my drive i probably could not have found bad wireing with out their diagnostics and would have had to haul it in for svc. soooooooo lucky! all and all i had a very good day. 196 mile cruise. running crisp before and after the breakdown. what a day! fury gets some time off while i investigate the failure and see what all the dtc codes were. i was going to give it a rest anyway when it turned over 100,000 miles. a thousand to go. it turned over 99,000 mi on the way home. so flash is up for now, fury will bust a hundred thousand very soon. then back to flash for a while. have a good weekend fellas and ladies! hasta.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Dropped a fist full of hundred $$ bills at Cycle Gear after work today.
Went in to take a look see at the Cardo Freecom 4 Duo. (list $404.96) Ended up with the Paktalk bold duo. The price tag on the box is $509.95. But with the Mil discount, It ended up just over $25 to upgrade the pair. So why not!

Went with the Packtalk more over range and ease of use. The open terrain is advertised at 8K meters over 5k and the volume gismo is super simple and easy to find and operate with gloves. That volume knob is worth the $25 in my book. I figure with the terrain we ride, the range will be closer to 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile at best. But they reconnect without fussing with it, so another great feature.

No more tether with the bike (y) and now i don't have that stupid radio blowing out my eardrums every time i restart it. :love:

I guess those bars i've been planning on, are going to wait for a minute now.

Yes I'm deaf as a post but, with these JBL speakers in the helmet, i can hear her like she's in the helmet with me. Even better than with my hearing aids. (I actually had to turn the volume down, for the first time ever!) This should help make our rides together much less stressful. (She has a bad habit of over gripping the bars causing fatigue, then she gets tired and slows down considerably (actually dangerously). Now she can tell me when she wants to make a rest stop. Weather or not she's in the lead. Tomorrows ride will be the testing grounds.

Lisa had said her helmet has been feeling a bit looser than before. When we took the helmets in for the free install of the comm sets, the clerk noticed that her helmet is 7 years old. (3 years past prime) So she found another Bell (her favorite brand helmet) that fit her. So there went another couple hundred... The kids just got her a new yellow tint visor for her old Bell, of course they changed the hinge so it won't fit the new one...GRRR

Now i just gotta figure out how to unpair my phone from the bikes radio.

·
Registered
655 Posts
so, we all know what's coming up in the next 24 hours besides the sun

20,000 miles. Is that about 330 hours in the saddle?

I am measuring primary fluid as it comes out tomorrow. The primary vent was installed by the dealer in August 2019. Checked the transmission fluid yesterday and it's at the bottom of the stick so I'll bounce that against what comes out of the primary and see, but it does appear to still be transferring.

·
weird member
2,982 Posts
8141 - 8160 of 8280 Posts