Harley Davidson Forums banner
8501 - 8520 of 8588 Posts

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,355 Posts
This rain has been messing with me and my odd work hours. Finally back in the saddle this morning, but didn't take the Deluxe because it might rain and my Honda is better suited for rain. AKA nowhere near as much chrome to clean lol. Felt like it's been forever even though just almost a week. Maybe we are in the clear for a bit after tonight, if it rains at all.

·
weird member
3,055 Posts
I'm in a similar boat, first day in several that it isn't raining. I readjusted my clutch the other day because it was getting hard to hit neutral on occasion and dragging a little when warmed up. Now the clutch feels too easy, sometimes almost feels maybe slipping but I can't tell (nowhere to really just get on it to test for slip, though if I down shift to engine brake, it doesn't feel like it's slipping then), and if I dump it, it doesn't bite quite as hard.

When I get back home, going to readjust it again. Normally I back the adjuster off 3/8 turn, but this last time I only went 1/4 turn out, so that might be part of it.

I need to take a mini trip or something between now and August to get more miles in, trying to reach 50K service interval a few weeks before October. At 50K, I want to go through absolutely everything, even going to put seafoam in the oil (1 oz per 1 quart) for the last 100-150 miles or so before changing the oils, pull the oil tank and check for sludge/clean it out, etc. I also want to take the front end off and clean the neck out and repack the bearings by hand instead of through the fitting (which I think should technically be done every 20K but I usually skip that).

Sitting at 47,200 now, everything still functioning as it should, knock-on-wood.

·
Registered
42,152 Posts
Can't wait to see some 1/4 mile info on that bike!
I will run into the top speed limiter before I run out of track, guaranteed.

Will have to wait till warranty runs out before I can use an aftermarket tuner to remove the limiter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
After 23 days of rain in a row, today was only a 30% chance of rain, I was able to ride to my dentist appointment. A 50 mile jaunt that tripped my 02 RK over to 30k miles just as I arrived back home. Now a full service with cam tentioner inspection awaits.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
old scoot coot
4,885 Posts
tony, gary and i had a nice shortie ride today. i took em over to caney and south on 75 to north of dewey. then county roads west and south around dewey and bartlesville to 123 then south to big hart and on south east on 11 to skiatook. good twisties. we ate lunch at mac's bbg. guys had sammiches, pulled pork. i had a rack of ribs, beef, and two ears of sweet corn. yum. have half left for supper tonight. 161 miles on a nice cool morning. only 82 degrees. low 90's coming back. tonly led home. we stopped at harley, honda dlr in bartlesville to get an american elite front tire for gary's gold wing trike. in the south half of the building is the honda showroom and some trades, i'd have to guess but always before there were i'd estimate maybe 20 or more new honda bikes from wings on down and that many used trades. there is none now. the new harley inventory with maybe 6 to 8 trades and new bikes usually would number about 20 or 25 new bikes. now no trades and 5 new bikes. no one said they were going out of business but it does not look good. also they usually have maybe a half dozen four wheel rvs'. none today. i think at very best this is covid economy at work. all we need is for the pandemic to come back with a vengance due to the unvaccinated. there may be fewer dlrs survive if this gets worse before getting better.

·
weird member
3,055 Posts
Rain sock thing came in, re-sewed it for the can, got it on there and it's looking like a mess now, so I have decided to order a standard, washable, crankcase breather filter. Ordered one made by Drag Specialties today. F*** this can, not worth the headache.

Other than that, nothing new, just still wishing I were rich so that I could get one of those fancy new Pan Ams, and an RKS, and a more bad ass engine for my existing bike, and...

·
old scoot coot
4,885 Posts
Rain sock thing came in, re-sewed it for the can, got it on there and it's looking like a mess now, so I have decided to order a standard, washable, crankcase breather filter. Ordered one made by Drag Specialties today. F*** this can, not worth the headache.

Other than that, nothing new, just still wishing I were rich so that I could get one of those fancy new Pan Ams, and an RKS, and a more bad ass engine for my existing bike, and...
as good as you care for your bike kyle. if ya had three, you wouldn't have time to ride. :)

·
weird member
3,055 Posts
as good as you care for your bike kyle. if ya had three, you wouldn't have time to ride. :)
Yeah... though each service interval would be further apart.

Really, as much as I want a Pan Am, there's nowhere worth a crap to ride one (off road) around here. And if I had a RKS, I'd probably only ever use it for longer distance anyway, so anything else in addition to my main steed would just collect dust most of the year.

Plus, I still got a good 75,000 miles or so before I am due for a new engine, which would be maybe 6-7 years down the road. Plenty of time to save up.

·
old scoot coot
4,885 Posts

Really, as much as I want a Pan Am, there's nowhere worth a crap to ride one (off road) around here. And if I had a RKS, I'd probably only ever use it for longer distance anyway, so anything else in addition to my main steed would just collect dust most of the year.

Plus, I still got a good 75,000 miles or so before I am due for a new engine, which would be maybe 6-7 years down the road. Plenty of time to save up.
hell i got over 100k on a twin cam and no where near even rings and a valve job. you can run that evo forever! eventually you will want a geezer glide but i'd keep the one you have.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,355 Posts

I need to show you what I made for my breather system for my Deluxe and for my VTX. The VTX is completely stealth and homemade only buying a couple parts like the breather filter and a T fitting. If it gets rained on I just empty the can made from a flashlight. Easy Peasy. The Deluxe has the filter up front, same one as VTX, and a bend in the hose is the 'catch can'. just pull the hose off the chrome breather crossover tube once in a while. Most I have seen from it so far is just a dribble. Another easy one. You don't really even notice the black hose attached to it.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,355 Posts

I have 3 bikes and usually one gets left out for awhile, but it's like a new girlfriend when you get back on her. Always exciting! haha

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,355 Posts
I rode 180 miles today. Stopped for some pizza and pictures.

I gotta ask: How good are those bags really? I love the look but the inside didn't look like it would hold that much and that I would have to add a trunk to be able to haul what I want. That would change the look so much that I would not like it as much so I would just not do it.

8501 - 8520 of 8588 Posts