Harley Davidson Forums banner
9161 - 9180 of 9321 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Looking for recommendations for a modular Bluetooth helmet in the $200 range. My 1/2 helmet on a long ride is way to noisy, I keep hearing wind noise an hour after riding.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
The bluetooth that comes preinstalled are the entry level b-t devices. Nowhere near the quality and sound of the latest b-t. Just beware of that.

I use a LS2 modular helmet (it comes with the reliefs cut out in the shell for the b-t comm. sets) It's not the quietest or the lightest of the modulars. But the chin bar rotates all the way back to provide comfortable use as in 3/4 mode. That is my favorite feature of this helmet. I ride 3/4 mode most of the time. Then run full face at fast paced rides. It fits my oval shaped grape nicely! These are about 1/2 the price of the Shoei, which is considered the pinnacle of helmets.

For a bluetooth device, I personally can't say enough about how GREAT the Cardo Talkback Bold is! These are freekin' AWESOME! JBL speakers with amazing sound! They work totally hands free! No searching for the buttons or volume knobs.. Just say " Cardo, volume up" or "Cardo, radio on" ect,, ect.. And it does! The range between bikes maintains comm up to about 1 1/2 miles, even in the mountain riding. The trial run using the Cardo, was 11 1/2 hours of riding time! The battery low warning came on about 15 minutes before we got home! (wasn't listening to music, just comm.) These are easily paired to other riders, without fussing with it. Simple phone app! No STUPID card to remember all the "how-to's or features". I paid right around $500. for the pair... Best money spent so far!

Edit: If the wallet allows, Combine the Shoei helmet with the Cardo Talkback, to get the ultimate set up! (I do love my LS7 though! )

Reactions: 66coupe

·
Registered
96 Posts
The bluetooth that comes preinstalled are the entry level b-t devices. Nowhere near the quality and sound of the latest b-t. Just beware of that.

I use a LS2 modular helmet (it comes with the reliefs cut out in the shell for the b-t comm. sets) It's not the quietest or the lightest of the modulars. But the chin bar rotates all the way back to provide comfortable use as in 3/4 mode. That is my favorite feature of this helmet. I ride 3/4 mode most of the time. Then run full face at fast paced rides. It fits my oval shaped grape nicely! These are about 1/2 the price of the Shoei, which is considered the pinnacle of helmets.

For a bluetooth device, I personally can't say enough about how GREAT the Cardo Talkback Bold is! These are freekin' AWESOME! JBL speakers with amazing sound! They work totally hands free! No searching for the buttons or volume knobs.. Just say " Cardo, volume up" or "Cardo, radio on" ect,, ect.. And it does! The range between bikes maintains comm up to about 1 1/2 miles, even in the mountain riding. The trial run using the Cardo, was 11 1/2 hours of riding time! The battery low warning came on about 15 minutes before we got home! (wasn't listening to music, just comm.) These are easily paired to other riders, without fussing with it. Simple phone app! No STUPID card to remember all the "how-to's or features". I paid right around $500. for the pair... Best money spent so far!

Edit: If the wallet allows, Combine the Shoei helmet with the Cardo Talkback, to get the ultimate set up! (I do love my LS7 though! )
Which model are you referring to, the LS2 website doesn't say anything about BT cutouts.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts

I use a LS2 modular helmet (it comes with the reliefs cut out in the shell for the b-t comm. sets) It's not the quietest or the lightest of the modulars. But the chin bar rotates all the way back to ...

I got an LS2 Valiant 2, which has the cutouts. The Valiant doesn't. Or, didn't when I was shopping. Much quieter helmet than my old Bell Rogue (which needed to retire anyway). Also, it doesn't try to take my head off at 80+ mph. I use the H-D Sena kit that matches with the WIM I had installed. Works great. Love having the CarPlay. I ride alone since my wife is no longer able to go along. But, she or a family member may need to contact me, so the ability to take texts via voice commands or calls is very important. I'm getting pretty good at dictating to Siri.

·
weird member
3,235 Posts
I'm on my first modular, an HJC i90 and I love it. It's quiet, at least to me (then again, I am accustomed to the noise of a 3/4 helmet). It's especially quiet with the chin curtain put in. They're $200-250, I don't think you'll get a better modular than that in the $200 range.

It has the thing for Bluetooth in the back (doesn't come with it, separate purchase). I don't use any coms or BT, but from what I understand, the BT stuff from helmet manufacturers is always as or more expensive and less good than just buying the generic com system from the com manufacturer and attaching it to the helmet. From the helmet manufacturer, it's always just a rebranded older model of Sena or something.

The foam on the inside actually has plenty of space to put speakers in, I don't think you even need to change the padding or anything for it, but I never really looked at it.

EDIT:
Here's a pic of the ear area inside...
Automotive tire Textile Tire Grey Wheel

I haven't yet tried a Shoei, but I wouldn't doubt that it would be more quiet than my HJC, if you're willing to up your spend limit to the $500 range.

Reactions: JTJ

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I'm on my first modular, an HJC i90 and I love it. It's quiet, at least to me (then again, I am accustomed to the noise of a 3/4 helmet). It's especially quiet with the chin curtain put in. They're $200-250,
'''

I haven't yet tried a Shoei, but I wouldn't doubt that it would be more quiet than my HJC, if you're willing to up your spend limit to the $500 range.
I have another modular for colder weather, the chin bar has to be down. Yeah. Quieter. But, it's pretty new. Back in the day, I had a Shoei full face and loved it. Envied a buddy who had one of the first modulars until I got one a while ago. Too noisy then. New ones are much better. Current supply situations make it hard to get anything at a reasonable price. I've seen Shoei's priced at near $1k from some sources. And, online stores are always showing "out of stock" on the good helmets.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Which model are you referring to, the LS2 website doesn't say anything about BT cutouts.

LS2 Valliant These pics were taken before i got the Cardo, so you see the old hard wired version.
Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Headgear
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Drinkware Automotive design

It looks the same now, except no wire and i replaced the visor, so that scratch is now gone!

·
old scoot coot
5,153 Posts
tony and i rode over to sedan for lunch today. then south on 99 to 160 and east to bartlesville and north and east back home. 152 miles on another nice day. a jacket leaving,65 degrees. a vest coming back, 85 degrees. had a pulled pork sammich and mustard potato salad, meh. i good ride on a really nice day. met a fella at the arrow shop that just bought an 03 ultra 88 with 1600 original miles. he wasn;t on it but had photos. it's as clean as you would think. he is changing fluids, and cleaning fuel tank and lines and brake fluid just to get started off right. i'd bet he stole that one. wasn't advertised. bought it from a client he was doing some steel work for. cool!

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,688 Posts
LS2 Valliant These pics were taken before i got the Cardo, so you see the old hard wired version. View attachment 800404 View attachment 800403
It looks the same now, except no wire and i replaced the visor, so that scratch is now gone!
I bought an LS2 at a HD dealer not long ago. The hot chick working the counter said it was a good helmet, or something like that, and I would have bought anything from her because she was, well, hot. I wore it home that day and it actually is a great helmet. Now I need to see if it has the cut-outs for the speakers. I have the guts of a BT system and need to see if it will fit. A don't remember what sub-model it is but the pics of yours look the same as mine. I really like the fact that it is eyeglasses friendly as well.

·
weird member
3,235 Posts
Went for a ride, then started the 50K. I think I got everything done so far except the front end, just taking a break. Got left fork drained, then I need to remove the brake caliper, drain the right fork, pull the top triple clamp and have my wife hold the forks while I lift it off the bottom, clean and repack bearings, then slap her back together.

It's about time for brakes too, so I'll go ahead and do that as well. And I think I'm going to change the plugs too. I'm sure mine are still plenty good. I want to pull the plugs anyway and have a look in the jugs.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I bought an LS2 at a HD dealer not long ago. The hot chick working the counter said it was a good helmet, or something like that, and I would have bought anything from her because she was, well, hot. I wore it home that day and it actually is a great helmet. Now I need to see if it has the cut-outs for the speakers. I have the guts of a BT system and need to see if it will fit. A don't remember what sub-model it is but the pics of yours look the same as mine. I really like the fact that it is eyeglasses friendly as well.
I hear ya! The stealerships around here, somehow get all the Supper Models to work for HD Motorclothes! Those ladies are hard to say no to!

When i found this helmet at Chaparral Motorsports, just a few months after i got the Ultra, (the bike came with a HJC that creates mega hot spots of my forehead) I slid this one on my grape and looked no further! It was the "display model" and the only one in my size. So they gave me a discount on it, for being the floor model... Happy Day! The sales people told me this was the newest one out by LS2 at the time. (That was 3 years ago now). I keep peeking at the newer helmets, but honestly have not found anything near as comfortable, with all the features of this one... I will be bummed if they stop carrying this model. Being 100% confident in flipping it from 3/4 to full while accelerating up an on ramp or, opening up from full to 3/4 at any speed. Now that i got rid of that stupid wired mic and speaker thing (PIA)!!! So glad my son talked me into going with the Cardo!

Reactions: JTJ and rapier57

·
Registered
42,931 Posts
Craig is the first believable Bond since Connery, although Moore was the Bond of my generation.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Saturday is meeting day for my, but Sunday, taking a group to Missouri Hick BBQ in Cuba by way of the back roads. Can you say twisties?

·
Registered
96 Posts
For anyone in S. Alabama or NW Florida, Emerald Coast HD in Ft.Walton Beach is advertising factory Dunlop tire replacement for $198 each tire out the door, all tax/fees/mounting/ balancing included. I'm sure it is probably limited to what is in stock but still a good price.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,688 Posts
I checked on my children on the way into work today. Raining this morning so they are all tucked in the garage nice and cozy. Tire is supposed to be here today or Monday for Daisy, so I will have to wait to see if she is back on the road tonight or not. Got Saddlebag brackets replaced on the Honda last night so it is good now. Strange feeling when 2 of your 3 running bikes are down. 4th bike is in pieces still and will probably not get touched until Thanksgiving weekend or until after this hernia surgery. I need time to figure that one out. That guy tore it all down for a clutch job? wtf? I'm sure part of the frame did not need to come off.

9161 - 9180 of 9321 Posts