Harley Davidson Forums banner
9241 - 9260 of 9842 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Electra Glide Ultra Classic - Houston, Texas
149 Posts
Got to test my new Michelin Commander 3 in the wet today? This was the first heavy rain since I put it on. Felt extremely stable and no issues at all. I didn't realize the rain hitting the camera sounded so bad. I forgot to strip the audio. Might want to turn your volume down.

·
old scoot coot
5,406 Posts
no fish at choteau for me today. i walked outside at 0930 and i was cold. 50 degrees and 30mph wind. i just went back in and stayed. i'm just not ready for october cold fronts yet. front has passed but evening forcast is for 40 degrees in the morning. phew. no biggie i'll bundle up for ride over to neosho. sixties in afternoon. and warming up for weekend and next week.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,853 Posts
Finally got rear tire on. I was extremely meticulous about making sure the wheel was straight this time. Measured the distance from the swingarm pivot point to the center of the axle on both sides, just like the service manual says to do. I checked it like 7,489 times after each time tightening the adjuster bolts, to get the belt tension spot on, and to make sure it was still straight. Looking down the belt to see the pully alignment it all looks perfect It took many hours to do because I wanted it perfect and because of all the brake issues that came up after the last tire change. I will make a tool just for doing this, also like the service manual says, for future tire changed on both my Harley-Davidsons. The Honda is shaft drive and just bolts up to the final drive and you are done in 10 mins getting the wheel back on. No joke, it's 10 mins from just getting the tire mounted and then installing it and then letting it down off the jack. Why can't they all be that easy....
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
43,159 Posts
no fish at choteau for me today. i walked outside at 0930 and i was cold. 50 degrees and 30mph wind. i just went back in and stayed. i'm just not ready for october cold fronts yet. front has passed but evening forcast is for 40 degrees in the morning. phew. no biggie i'll bundle up for ride over to neosho. sixties in afternoon. and warming up for weekend and next week.
Was chilly here too today. Not ready for riding season to be over yet!

Going to bundle up and ride to Salina tomorrow. Uncle is turning 80! :eek

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
So I did that service interval a week ago and I mentioned doing the seafoam treatment 100 miles prior to the oil change. Supposed to be 1 oz per quart of capacity. Listed capacity 3 quarts but only takes about 2.5 quarts per change (and that's despite the addition of an oil cooler).

Anyway, I started off with just 2 oz to be safe. After 30-40 miles showed no problems with the Seafoam added to the oil, I added another half oz. In addition, I did get the RPMs up a few times during that 100 miles.

I have to say a week later, my valve train has never been so quiet. For a long time, there's been a bit of a tapping from what I believed was one of the front lifters (though on inspection they looked fine). It's as quiet now as it was when I first upgraded the engine. I mean there's still valve train noise and always going to be with the cam that I have, but whatever that tick was is gone now. Could be coincidence, could have been the Seafoam in the oil.

Either way, that definitely worked for me. I might do the Seafoam treatment in the oil now every other oil change the same way (2.5-3 oz about 100-150 miles before service interval/oil change), just as a preventative.
I have not used this Seafoam yet. I have hear it works wonders for many issues. Do you add it to the oil just before changing it or, add it in while adding in the fresh oil? I got kinda confused with the 100 mile comment.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,349 Posts
I have not used this Seafoam yet. I have hear it works wonders for many issues. Do you add it to the oil just before changing it or, add it in while adding in the fresh oil? I got kinda confused with the 100 mile comment.
Added the Seafoam 100 miles prior to the service interval. In other words, before changing the oil. I didn't put it in the fresh oil.

In other words, time for service interval, added Seafoam to existing dirty oil, road another 100 miles, then did the service interval changing the old dirty oil with the Seafoam for new oil with no Seafoam.

Is that making sense?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Added the Seafoam 100 miles prior to the service interval. In other words, before changing the oil. I didn't put it in the fresh oil.

In other words, time for service interval, added Seafoam to existing dirty oil, road another 100 miles, then did the service interval changing the old dirty oil with the Seafoam for new oil with no Seafoam.

Is that making sense?
Yes! Thank you for the clarification!
Do you happen to know if it does or could cause any issues if left in longer? (Like a oil / fuel additives).

I'm really curious about this stuff, because of a interesting experience i had using Marvel Mystery Oil as a fuel additive in my Diesel truck (F350 4x4 Supercab). It was having the usual issues of the fuel injectors wearing out. (A "normal and constant" wear item)

So i tried adding the Marvel per the recommended dosage on the label. After running about a half tank of fuel (20 gal) through it: Cold starts, once again would light off all 8 cylinders! Where as when a injector is going out, it would take 15 warm up along with 15 min of city driving to get all 8 woken up. So i stuck with the marvel with every other fill up.

The injectors still wear out but, 1/2 as often! My indy mech, had just installed a new A/C pump and both batteries, he ask his nephew to test drive my truck while he was working on the nephews. (His was same YMM truck). When the nephew returned from the test drive; He asked his uncle "So WTF is different between these two trucks?

Answer: Not a thing! Nephew, "Why does this silver truck have Sooo Much More pull off the line? It will spin the rears without trying! The marvel was the only thing we could find different.

I decided it was well worth dumping in the few oz. of marvel at every fill up! That truck still has gobs of power! 2008 nearing 300K miles. Although i gave it to my son. Now i am looking for another one! One Hell of a great truck!

Matter of fact, I have my BIL's truck loaded up in my driveway right now (2004 F350 4x4 4 door long bed). I'm borrowing for the Rendezvous this week. Going to try like hell to talk him out of it when i get back! (We bought them both on the same day, same deal, same salesman). Both were custom ordered. I can't believe how much i miss my real truck!

·
weird member
3,349 Posts
Do you happen to know if it does or could cause any issues if left in longer? (Like a oil / fuel additives).

I'm really curious about this stuff, because of a interesting experience i had using Marvel Mystery Oil as a fuel additive in my Diesel truck (F350 4x4 Supercab). It was having the usual issues of the fuel injectors wearing out. (A "normal and constant" wear item)

So i tried adding the Marvel per the recommended dosage on the label. After running about a half tank of fuel (20 gal) through it: Cold starts, once again would light off all 8 cylinders! Where as when a injector is going out, it would take 15 warm up along with 15 min of city driving to get all 8 woken up. So i stuck with the marvel with every other fill up.

The injectors still wear out but, 1/2 as often! My indy mech, had just installed a new A/C pump and both batteries, he ask his nephew to test drive my truck while he was working on the nephews. (His was same YMM truck). When the nephew returned from the test drive; He asked his uncle "So WTF is different between these two trucks?

Answer: Not a thing! Nephew, "Why does this silver truck have Sooo Much More pull off the line? It will spin the rears without trying! The marvel was the only thing we could find different.

I decided it was well worth dumping in the few oz. of marvel at every fill up! That truck still has gobs of power! 2008 nearing 300K miles. Although i gave it to my son. Now i am looking for another one! One Hell of a great truck!

Matter of fact, I have my BIL's truck loaded up in my driveway right now (2004 F350 4x4 4 door long bed). I'm borrowing for the Rendezvous this week. Going to try like hell to talk him out of it when i get back! (We bought them both on the same day, same deal, same salesman). Both were custom ordered. I can't believe how much i miss my real truck!
Seafoam basically is a cleaner, in my opinion and that's the only way I would recommend to use it. Apparently, from a quick Google search, Seafoam is a mixture of three petroleum products: pale oil (a naphthenic mineral oi), naphtha, and IPA (isopropanol- an alcohol sometimes used as a solvent).

People have added it in other ways, but I have never tried it. I rarely use the stuff to be honest. I can't say whether or not it's a good idea to use it long-term.

It for sure, when used properly, will clean carbon a little and will dissolve some sludge. It's not a magic bullet though.

As to Marvel's Mystery oil, I don't know anything about it, never used it. Fuel these days is really good, most don't need additional additives, same with engine oils (they all have added detergents), but they're not perfect. But one thing I can say, I have had to clean up a carburetor that was gunked up by Marvel's Mystery oil, but who is to say if the person using it had used it correctly.

I mostly keep Seafoam to use in the lawn equipment since it sits for long periods without running, most of the time just the first or second fuel up after winter.

Reactions: JTJ and 1/2 Ton

·
Noel
11,279 Posts

Try this product, I use it every fill up on my 2012 6.7 PSD, so far not had any injector problems, but I also don't have as many miles as your old truck, I am at a hair over 47,000 miles

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Marvel Mystery oil was used as a top end lubricant for many years. I remember cars having a dispenser mounted on the fire wall and the MMO was metered and drawn in through the intake. I still occasionally use it in the fuel as a top end lube. I would never add anything to the oil, especially the modern synthetics, as they have a well researched and balanced additive package that I wouldn't want messed up. I have seen MMO used as a cleaner and have never seen it gunk up a carb. I also use MMO in my pneumatic tools as a lube. Old air tools have also been brought to life again with MMO through the air line. I use Seafoam on occasion in my gas on the Harley, but mostly in the gas I keep in cans for the mowers and generator. The folks down here tell me a tank of gas with Seafoam really peps up a 2 stroke outboard motor.

Just my thoughts

·
old scoot coot
5,406 Posts
Marvel Mystery oil was used as a top end lubricant for many years. I remember cars having a dispenser mounted on the fire wall and the MMO was metered and drawn in through the intake. I still occasionally use it in the fuel as a top end lube. I would never add anything to the oil, especially the modern synthetics, as they have a well researched and balanced additive package that I wouldn't want messed up. I have seen MMO used as a cleaner and have never seen it gunk up a carb. I also use MMO in my pneumatic tools as a lube. Old air tools have also been brought to life again with MMO through the air line. I use Seafoam on occasion in my gas on the Harley, but mostly in the gas I keep in cans for the mowers and generator. The folks down here tell me a tank of gas with Seafoam really peps up a 2 stroke outboard motor.

Just my thoughts
exactly jim, i still use marvel mysetry oil in the harleys fuel at 4oz. per ten gallons. it's a good top end lube necessary i believe( no lead in fuel any more) for valve train and guides. also it acts as a cleaning agent keeping carbon build up ourt of valve ports and on top of pistons. seafoam is a gum and varnish remover( b-12 chemtool is better) and it will quiet noisy lifters by removing gum and varnish. i don't believe any benefit from it in harleys because of the use of high quality synthetic oils.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
JLR, you mentioned "Seafoam". For years now I have been a regular user of Seafoam--mostly for longer term storage and internal cleaning and not for any expected performance gain. And seems Seafoam is well accepted and widely used by Harley owners.

Anyway, about every 6 months, maybe 7 months depending on the weather and my mood, I change out the gas in my generator, weed eater and two chain saws. And last week or so I realized I screwed up last time I changed out the stored fuel for my generator. It had been 11 months and a few days since I ran the generator dry then mixed up some fresh gas with a double dose of Seafoam. Slid the generator out from under a workbench, took off the towels covering it, and it started on the 4th pull. Whew! It ran about 10 minutes and then ran out of gas. Mixed a fresh batch of gas & Seafoam and put just a little in the generator and started it again and let it run maybe 2-3 minutes, shut it off and tucked it away back under a work bench. The fresh gas mix I put in will be enough for it to run about 10 minutes or so whenever I go through my routine again in 6-7 months. I am very pleased the gas in the generator was still good enough to burn after sitting more than 11 months and I attribute that to the Seafoam.

·
old scoot coot
5,406 Posts
well hell. i rode down to neosho yesterday to get the commander three put on the rear of flash. can't get elites this year so i guess i'll try one. 41 leaving in the dark yesterday, had an 8:30 appt. i was bundled up so cool temp not too bad. while cruising at 70 per south of chetopa in n.e. oklahoma heading for welch about 1/20th of a second before impact i saw a pretty doe at my 12 o'clock at 3 feet away. she is in deer heaven now, maybe rainbow bridge playing with all of our still loved and missed dogs. i didn't go down but it was a tank slapper for a couple of seconds. then noticed a pretty loud noise coming from up front. i shepparded it over to side of road and checked it out. the impact had blown the grills and screens off both lowers and the doors on back sides as well. front fender, lights and trim was trashed and ripped and rubbing front tire. both radiators and water pump hoses and thermostat looked ok. no coolant leaks apparent. i bent the fender away from rubbing the tire and gave it some clearance. no codes displayed so i fired it up and it sounded good. guages all in the green so i headed on to welch then east to hwy 59 south of miami and on south to hwy 60 then east on over to fairland and on east to neosh. about 15 miles out from bike shop engine went to missing on both cylinders really bad. i could keep it running by jockying throttle so i did and pulled over to check codes. 4 unknown codes. none on rich or lean and 02 sensors which i pretty much know. so i kept on going with difficulty till i got there. as i rolled into parking lot and pulled up to gate. engine missing badly and front missing screens, grills, doors crumpled up fender i killed engine as i'm pulling helmet off and turning on my one hearing aid justin, my tech over there, says are you the guy that's getting a rear tire put on today? i said yep. he replied " i think ya may need a little bit more," i needed a laugh about then. i got my rear commander installed and one of the codes was map sensor in op. bingo the impact had blew the connector loose and it had finally vibrated off completely. so far tune ok and runs fine now with sensor plugged in and no codes. another day in paradise! not my best day but not even close to being one of my worst. i don't think that will buff right out. 😳
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
well hell. i rode down to neosho yesterday to get the commander three put on the rear of flash. can't get elites this year so i guess i'll try one. 41 leaving in the dark yesterday, had an 8:30 appt. i was bundled up so cool temp not too bad. while cruising at 70 per south of chetopa in n.e. oklahoma heading for welch about 1/20th of a second before impact i saw a pretty doe at my 12 o'clock at 3 feet away. she is in deer heaven now, maybe rainbow bridge playing with all of our still loved and missed dogs. i didn't go down but it was a tank slapper for a couple of seconds. then noticed a pretty loud noise coming from up front. i shepparded it over to side of road and checked it out. the impact had blown the grills and screens off both lowers and the doors on back sides as well. front fender, lights and trim was trashed and ripped and rubbing front tire. both radiators and water pump hoses and thermostat looked ok. no coolant leaks apparent. i bent the fender away from rubbing the tire and gave it some clearance. no codes displayed so i fired it up and it sounded good. guages all in the green so i headed on to welch then east to hwy 59 south of miami and on south to hwy 60 then east on over to fairland and on east to neosh. about 15 miles out from bike shop engine went to missing on both cylinders really bad. i could keep it running by jockying throttle so i did and pulled over to check codes. 4 unknown codes. none on rich or lean and 02 sensors which i pretty much know. so i kept on going with difficulty till i got there. as i rolled into parking lot and pulled up to gate. engine missing badly and front missing screens, grills, doors crumpled up fender i killed engine as i'm pulling helmet off and turning on my one hearing aid justin, my tech over there, says are you the guy that's getting a rear tire put on today? i said yep. he replied " i think ya may need a little bit more," i needed a laugh about then. i got my rear commander installed and one of the codes was map sensor in op. bingo the impact had blew the connector loose and it had finally vibrated off completely. so far tune ok and runs fine now with sensor plugged in and no codes. another day in paradise! not my best day but not even close to being one of my worst. View attachment 800701 View attachment 800702 View attachment 800703 .
Geeze, Tommy! Glad you are OK and didn't go down. Also glad it was a doe and not a big buck.

·
weird member
3,349 Posts
One of the things Seafoam will do is cause "trash" to burn better (like, water and other crap that separated from the gas that sat too long, not like, tank liner or something). It won't make the gas better per se, but it does help with getting some crap to burn. It's not really a fuel stabilizer though.

Ryan at FortNine had a good video about fuel additives, including Seafoam:

Also Project Farm did a video with Seafoam as an oil treatment and injection cleaning on an old truck:

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
One of the things Seafoam will do is cause "trash" to burn better (like, water and other crap that separated from the gas that sat too long, not like, tank liner or something). It won't make the gas better per se, but it does help with getting some crap to burn. It's not really a fuel stabilizer though.

Ryan at FortNine had a good video about fuel additives, including Seafoam:

Also Project Farm did a video with Seafoam as an oil treatment and injection cleaning on an old truck:
Kyle, interesting video comparing the different stabilizers. After watching I really wouldn't want to use any of them for winter storage LOL. And the only non ethanol gasoline I've been able to find in this area is only 87 octane so I won't be using any of that.

Seems our Winters will vary some but, usually, even in December and January we get a day or two of temps in the 50's and when we do I might ride some and then replenish a gallon or two with fresh gas. But I try to plan like we won't get a sunny day or two in the 50's or I won't wanna get the bike out so I definitely want to add something to the gas. And since my generator sat more than 11 months with gas & Seafoam (double dose of course) and then fired up on the 4th pull I'm gonna keep using it.

·
weird member
3,349 Posts
Wow @tommytailspin glad you're OK. You just aren't having any luck with front fenders this year.

9241 - 9260 of 9842 Posts