Harley Davidson Forums banner
9661 - 9680 of 9807 Posts

·
old scoot coot
5,381 Posts
I got it off Amazon Priell, it's a Danali sound bomb. And it works. Can't wait ta see a texter not paying attention and blast em
i would like an old fashioned ooga horn. when i was in high school the oogas were nice and loud. i don't think the bike ones would be loud enough. has anyone heard a nice loud one on a bike or know about where i can get one? 😁

·
old scoot coot
5,381 Posts
I got to make up for ride I missed yesterday. Had a nice little 60 miler at a high rate of fuel consumption and would show some go-pro footage of jumping canyon and wheelie but battery is deader than 4 o'clock in the morning. Ha ha View attachment 801957
that is the first time i've heard that expression and i'm pretty old. it is very descriptive! that's definitely in the highest degrees of dead.

·
old scoot coot
5,381 Posts
we rode down to chelsae, ok for lunch today at the mainstreet diner. mickey hadn't been there before and wanted to try it. i had a fish basket, yum. they have french fries made from fresh potatos. 112 miles in sunshine and some overcast 47 leaving and 56 coming back. strong south wind which brought some warm weather in for the weekend. 61 tomorrow. i may work on tony's bike tomorrow. he's getting a code that's either a bad knock sensor on left bank or ecu.( it's a wing). have a great weekend y'all. hasta.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,344 Posts
New taillight crap came today. I thought "sweet, I'll bang this out real quick". Start with the baseplate replacement for the pre-1999 and... doesn't fit. It's like it's designed to only be used with a full fender, not the bobbed fenders, so I have to cut it to get it to fit. And it was down the nightmare hole from there, ofc. Why did I ever think something would go like it's supposed to. :rolleyes:

3 hours later, and I'm still working on it. Had to remove the rear turn signals and pull everything out so I could pull the license plate mounting bracket out so that I could clean up the new mount holes I had to make and clear paint off the back of it for grounding the light.

This is really testing my patience...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Crankset Tread
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Wheel

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
New taillight crap came today. I thought "sweet, I'll bang this out real quick". Start with the baseplate replacement for the pre-1999 and... doesn't fit. It's like it's designed to only be used with a full fender, not the bobbed fenders, so I have to cut it to get it to fit. And it was down the nightmare hole from there, ofc. Why did I ever think something would go like it's supposed to. :rolleyes:

3 hours later, and I'm still working on it. Had to remove the rear turn signals and pull everything out so I could pull the license plate mounting bracket out so that I could clean up the new mount holes I had to make and clear paint off the back of it for grounding the light.

View attachment 801963 View attachment 801964 View attachment 801965
Yep thats about the same luck I get when I start certain jobs you think will be a doddle then it all goes tits up

·
weird member
3,344 Posts
8.5 hours and a lot of cussing later... it's done. I still liked my previous LED taillight better, but the tag light LEDs were fubar on it, so I couldn't ride at night or in the rain.

Hard to tell in pics how it really is, looks a little better in person.
Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
43,146 Posts

Nice! Thats the way I have my bike set up as well, with the turn signals acting as aux brake light.

·
old scoot coot
5,381 Posts

looks good kyle.

·
weird member
3,344 Posts
Nice! Thats the way I have my bike set up as well, with the turn signals acting as aux brake light.
Yeah, I use that CD smart triple play. It has several options for how the rear lights work.

I have it set for the turn signals to be r/b/t and for it to flash only on the center taillight (quad strobe, solid for 1 second, quad strobe, solid for 3 seconds, repeat). The turn signals stay solid when I hit the brakes, but I could set those to flash too with the flip of a switch.

One of these days, I'm sure someone's going to make a module that allows you to program your own patterns.

I did a few other things different though, since I had to remove the rear turn signals to get the license plate bracket off. Previously, the signal wires were run through the saddlebag relocation mount stems but it's a tight fit and a pita so instead, I ran the wires outside the housing. It's not as clean of a look, but makes things so much easier if I ever need to replace wiring or take the signals off for some reason.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Also, I found a second bare spot in the wiring on the right rear signal that I couldn't see with my mirror and flashlight, it was hidden behind the rest of the harness. The wire was also looking a little rough right where it came out of the mounting stem, so I replaced it from the housing all the way up. Also did not fixe my cold hyper flash problem. Still weird, it doesn't hyper flash cold unless it's running cold (if I turn the ignition on and test the signals, they work if it's not running).

Anyway yeah, I like the run/brake/turn for the signals. I think it's a conversion everyone should do if theirs isn't already. Greatly increases visibility in my opinion. That's also why I still use the saddle bag relocation mounts despite not using saddle bags (sets the lights wider and further back) and why I like my old style bullet signals (they're so much bigger in diameter).

·
Registered
43,146 Posts
Just incase anyone with a newer bike with a BCM, the turn signals can be programmed as R/B/T signals by the dealer.

In my case, I had to swap the rear inserts to a dual filament socket for the running light functionality, but no extra module was needed.

·
old scoot coot
5,381 Posts
i didn't work on tony's bike today. i shouldn't have told him he can go ahead and ride with the code pretty much as long as he likes. the only bad thing that happens when a knock sensor is bad is poorer mileage on that bank. i also told him he needs to get a 27mm deep socket to remove the sensors with. typical tony, he said ya mean you don't have one? i reminded him i ride harleys no metric tools required. that's not altogether true but he doesn't know that. ha! anyway that freed me up for a solo ride today. i rode down to choteau, ok to the amish house for lunch. saturday is bbq ribs and fried chicked day. yum. pretty nice day today. it was 52 leaving and 63 coming back through the cherokee nation and 61 crossing over into kansas. 182 miles in the sunshine. a good ride down, a good lunch, and a good time was had by tommy. i hope y'all have a great lords day tomorrow. hasta.

·
weird member
3,344 Posts
Wow, I came upon this accident about 20 minutes after it happened. Had no clue what was going on or that it involved a motorcycle. Was just looking at the local dumpster fire news rag to see if there was info on it because there was a LOT of cops out there, so I knew is was more than some kind of fender-bender.

Short version, 25 year old guy on a Gixer 750 was running from state troopers, blew through the red light and t-boned a car and died:

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Yikes!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Didn’t go to Pa for the game yesterday (Was west of the Mississippi until Friday, so I donated my tix for veterans appreciation day). Allowed me to get an hour/50 miles in after watching from home. A little cool at right around 50 degrees most of the ride. Had to open my jacket after 10 minutes because my heated vest was roasting me, and I couldn’t find the damn button to turn it off. Much different scenery now that all the fields are harvested and the leaves are completely off the trees. Will be coming up on 5000 miles soon, so I’ll need to get it in for scheduled service. I’d know for sure it would be next week if it was summertime, but w/ this goofy weather, it might be December. Usually able to find at least one day every month during the winter to get in a ride (Last year Feb was snowy and absolutely frigid - got my ride in the last day). Hope everyone enjoys their Thansgiving!

9661 - 9680 of 9807 Posts