Harley Davidson Forums banner
9681 - 9700 of 9807 Posts

·
old scoot coot
5,381 Posts
I moved my tag bracket only 2 days after I brought this girl home. I mean if you leaving a gun fight in a hurry, the last thing you want to do is throw a leg across that tag ruin a good pair of Levi's and ride to nearest er to calf muscle sewed back in place View attachment 802042
i had to quit levies after 70 years. they make em out of the denim they used to make shirts out of. wrangler ranger jeans now, they have good heavy canvas and lots of pockets levies didn't have.

·
Registered
43,146 Posts

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,846 Posts
After I saw the price tag on HD's wiring harness to make the Aux lights stay on with the high beam, I decided to look into what it would really take to just do it myself. Just disconnect a wire and add a wire is the simple version and now it works like I want. PITA working in that tight spot but it's all good now.

·
Noel
11,259 Posts
I never did understand why they were wired that way, but gotta be the gub-ment involved probably.
Yup, all DOT's fault...... in MASS one could be failed during inspection if does not work as factory designed, high beams on, fog or aux light off.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,344 Posts
Welp, I think my battery is toast. Yesterday and today, sulfur smell coming from that general area. I probably should have changed it when I changed the stator last month or whatever, since the battery had run way down (that's how I discovered the stator problem).

Going to let her cool down and the gas dissipate, then remove the battery and go up the road to get a new one. Hopefully it's just that the battery went to shit when the old stator did, rather than there being some kind of overcharging problem with the charging system.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Led 4 other bikes on some fun twisties up to Louisiana then over the Mississippi into Illinois through Kampsville to Hardin to eat lunch at Mel's Riverdock Restaurant (great food, large portions, reasonable prices, great desserts), I had catfish nuggets, side salad, and cucumbers n oniions. After lunch, across the Illinois river and down through Grafton and Alton then back onto Missouri and down Hwy 94 to home. 187 miles round trip, started out at 50 degrees got up to 60 and back down to 56 by the time I got home. Thanksgiving weekend looks like crap so likely last ride of the month.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Welp, I think my battery is toast. Yesterday and today, sulfur smell coming from that general area. I probably should have changed it when I changed the stator last month or whatever, since the battery had run way down (that's how I discovered the stator problem).

Going to let her cool down and the gas dissipate, then remove the battery and go up the road to get a new one. Hopefully it's just that the battery went to shit when the old stator did, rather than there being some kind of overcharging problem with the charging system.
Blime me the money you keep having to pay out Mr Sardonicus I hope your not keeping a tally on how much so far .

·
weird member
3,344 Posts
Blime me the money you keep having to pay out Mr Sardonicus I hope your not keeping a tally on how much so far .
Nope. But it's a good thing I don't have any other hobbies. It's almost like owning a boat.

The engine runs fine, transmission, frame, suspension, everything mechanical (knock on wood)... all my problems and money I gotta shell out are all fn electrical, every time.

·
old scoot coot
5,381 Posts
Led 4 other bikes on some fun twisties up to Louisiana then over the Mississippi into Illinois through Kampsville to Hardin to eat lunch at Mel's Riverdock Restaurant (great food, large portions, reasonable prices, great desserts), I had catfish nuggets, side salad, and cucumbers n oniions. After lunch, across the Illinois river and down through Grafton and Alton then back onto Missouri and down Hwy 94 to home. 187 miles round trip, started out at 50 degrees got up to 60 and back down to 56 by the time I got home. Thanksgiving weekend looks like crap so likely last ride of the month.
nice ride larry, wish i was there. :p

·
weird member
3,344 Posts
Well, I never heard back from Zippers, so I emailed them. The filter they use for the MaxFlow with Evos is discontinued, but they said can use the carb'ed twin cam kit. To be honest, carbed Evo and Twin Cam use the same filter (K&N HD-0800) with the late-style SE back plate. Even J&P and DK say the filter I use "isn't designed for this ride" and looking it up, the filter says 99-10 or whatever it was. Regardless, the only filters that come up searching by my ride are the ones for the old style flat back plate with breather manifold bar and single inlet for breather hose.

Other than bracketry, the back plate is the same for the late style SE air cleaner for 40mm CV carbs whether it's TC or Evo.

I have another plasma donation today so once I get that done, I will be ordering the Zipperd Max Flow air cleaner kit. I think the only difference between the filters for TC and Evo is the outside shape and design: the discontinued filter for Evos was not as tall and tapered outward from the intake while the one for TCs was taller and tapered inward as you move from the intake, but same surface area and CFM (taper design was for fitting under stock covers). But, they both have the same mount hole locations and the same size base to the back plate.

Due to the extra weight of the filter and how far it hangs out, I need to decide if it's gonna be too much to use the 8" round cover or if I should leave it open and just stick a rain sock on it.

·
Registered
43,146 Posts
Rode to Torchys Tacos. Had their monthly special taco called the Chili Wagon - New Mexico red chile-stewed chicken with a fried poblano pepper strip, onions, avocado sauce, fresh cilantro.

Food Taco Korean taco Ingredient Recipe

They also sent me an email for a free 1/2 order of guac and chips. Was never a fan of guac until now. Theirs is good!

9681 - 9700 of 9807 Posts