Harley Davidson Forums banner
10101 - 10120 of 10174 Posts

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,449 Posts
Went for a ride today. When I checked the weather before, it said the high was going to be 63° and I didn't bother to look at what time that would be... that was at midnight. By mid-day, it was in the mid-50s, though high 40's low 50's when I started out.

Finally rode tested glove liners. They were great, y-splitter annoying, probably wouldn't be so bad if I ran it behind my back, but ran it through front because the controller I hooked on my front chest pocket. Won't be an issue when I save up for the jacket liner. Even then, the y splitter was only annoying when I stopped at the store to run an errand, wires dangling everywhere, was fine going down the road.

Then later, was on a back road, ended up missing the light in the left turn because some dummy basically all but stopped on a protected green and then crawled through at walking speed. So that was slightly annoying, but also I can't trigger this light on the bike. Saw someone coming up behind me though, so I thought no big deal. Huge, way high lifted truck, came to a stop about a million car lengths behind me, too far back to trigger the light. I pulled up and spent 2 minutes trying to wave them to pull forward enough to trigger the light. They crept up about an inch (no exaggeration, they really only came up about an inch closer). :rolleyes:

Finally someone came up to the light in the straight lane, which triggered it to change. I was on the verge of just running the light though. I usually try to wait a minute to see if anyone will come before I do that.

·
Super Moderator
11,628 Posts
Finally someone came up to the light in the straight lane, which triggered it to change. I was on the verge of just running the light though. I usually try to wait a minute to see if anyone will come before I do that.
When ever I try waving someone to pull up closer to me to trip the sensor, I think they are afraid I (we're) ax murderers or something and afraid to get to close.

·
weird member
3,449 Posts
I've found a lot of lights seem to change when I'm right over the cut in the asphalt. Maybe there is enough sensor escaping the Crack to make it change.
I don't have a problem most of the time, but there are a lot of lights here that I can't trip. There's a few that I can trip if I am right over the cut line that won't if I am in the middle, but usually it's either I can or I can't, and I know most of the ones I can't no matter where I am on the sensor. 99% of the ones I can't are all on back roads and in the "down town" area (which is a dump hole, I'll take a pic tomorrow). All the ones on the highways and major roads, I can trip, but even if I couldn't, wouldn't matter because I likely wouldn't be the only one at the light unless it was 2 am.

One that motorcycles can't trip here is at the corner coffee place down town that I stop in every day. I've been outside the coffee place before a couple of times and had to walk up and hit the crosswalk button to trigger the light for another biker that was stuck.

·
weird member
3,449 Posts
This is some pics from Google Maps of Foster and Crawford like I was talking about. Some of these long abandoned buildings are being renovated and some business is coming in, there was some push and city initiative and help from local "old money" to get businesses to come in and fix up this part of town.

The street is just asphalt over brick, included is a picture (the last one) where you can see a chunk of road missing and the bricks. These pics on Google Maps aren't quite up to date... like the corner building on the left in the first one is the coffee place and it looks a lot nicer now. The building on the right corner across the street is actively being renovated by this bar/restaurant that currently sits on the same side as the coffee place further up, they're wanting to move to that corner for more space.

"Downtown" here isn't like, a ghetto or anything or rough, just old and largely abandoned (though as I said, slowly building up). The first two pics, the first one is actually older than the second one, you can see they made progress between the two on that corner building on the right.
Sky Cloud Window Building Mode of transport
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I have an O-ring and safety pin holding at about 2//3 up the inside leather jacket liner.

Then I thread the arm to glove wires through it, and take up any unneeded slack so that only about 3" hang out each cuff to connect to the gloves.

The pigtail end goes down to my left or right side to hook to one of the controller outputs. The second controller output feeds my jacket liner.

My leather has a short leather waist loop that I can attach the controller to the outside of my jacket, makes for easy access to adjust the knobs for optimum comfort, when I am on the SGS I place it on my left side to mate up to the bikes charge SAE port, I have a conversion patch cord to make the transition to barrel connection.

On the ZX14 I move the controller to the right side of my leather, plug into the barrel plug output on that bike.

I need to standardize placement so that I'm not going back and forth with placement.

If your jacket has no loops on the outside, maybe a carabineer hanging off your jeans belt loop would get it to a secure yet reachable position when you want to adjust the settings.
So THAT's what the silly leather loop is for on the chaps! Always wondered what that out of place, oversized belt loop was for... Thank you! (y) Even though i don't have heated gear, or even a rainsuit for that matter. 🙃

I'm a fair weather rider now days. The bike commute was 20 years worth. Now i only ride for fun. Wet is not fun!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Went for a ride today. When I checked the weather before, it said the high was going to be 63° and I didn't bother to look at what time that would be... that was at midnight. By mid-day, it was in the mid-50s, though high 40's low 50's when I started out.

Finally rode tested glove liners. They were great, y-splitter annoying, probably wouldn't be so bad if I ran it behind my back, but ran it through front because the controller I hooked on my front chest pocket. Won't be an issue when I save up for the jacket liner. Even then, the y splitter was only annoying when I stopped at the store to run an errand, wires dangling everywhere, was fine going down the road.

Then later, was on a back road, ended up missing the light in the left turn because some dummy basically all but stopped on a protected green and then crawled through at walking speed. So that was slightly annoying, but also I can't trigger this light on the bike. Saw someone coming up behind me though, so I thought no big deal. Huge, way high lifted truck, came to a stop about a million car lengths behind me, too far back to trigger the light. I pulled up and spent 2 minutes trying to wave them to pull forward enough to trigger the light. They crept up about an inch (no exaggeration, they really only came up about an inch closer). :rolleyes:

You don't have a "Dead Red Law" there? Man, i would be writing some letters to the states traffic / highway Commissioner and the Governor. They don't change laws if no one is bitching...

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I've found a lot of lights seem to change when I'm right over the cut in the asphalt. Maybe there is enough sensor escaping the Crack to make it change.
Yep, try to align the bike with the greatest amount of area that i can along the circumference of the sensor groove. But it all else fails. We do have a Dead on Red law here in Cali.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
1/2, I got tired of waiting one night and after 5-6 mins with no traffic, I eased on and before I hit 2nd is when I got lit up. The cop told me I should have went right and made a u turn the whole time he was writing ticket. It was around 300$
Here, if the light cycles 3 X, on the third, you just go. (Providing you can do so safely) Otherwise IIRC three minutes w/o the light changing. I'm not real up on the law... I only utilized it one time, when my wife, son and i were out on a ride. She was not at all ready for the idea. Afterwards she acted like she just got away with a bank robbery or something. :ROFLMAO:

·
weird member
3,449 Posts
You don't have a "Dead Red Law" there? Man, i would be writing some letters to the states traffic / highway Commissioner and the Governor. They don't change laws if no one is bitching...
We don't have one. Probably won't get one... Alabama is too busy completing with Louisiana and Illinois for most corrupt state government. This is a state, after all, where all three of the previous governors left office due to ethics violations, one of which is in prison for felony level corruption he committed as governor, and at one point in time the heads of all 3 branches of government were in separately in trouble for ethics violations at the same time (like each was doing their own corruption thing, not that they were all in one act of corruption together). A state where the county sheriffs get a bonus at the end of the year of whatever is leftover from the prison food budget, one stole from it for investment beach front properties, even once buying a truckload of corndogs and feeding it to the prisoners for every meal for two weeks straight to pad the budget, was fired over it and then another sheriff came in the same county knowing how he was fired and being told multiple times she can't do that and she did basically the same thing anyway but invested in a used car lot owned by an ex-felon. A state where currently as we speak, the DoJ has a lawsuit against the state over it's prison system because it's so bad.

It's like what @Wooden Rat said, you're supposed to move to the straight lane or turn right (depending on if you're in the left lane or straight lane) when it's safe to do so, go up and make a u-turn or whatever, etc. I just go for it, after I double check there's no cops around. Some probably wouldn't care some might, some might pull you and after you explain you couldn't change it might let you go with a warning, I dunno. It's not often that I have to run one because nobody's coming behind me to trigger it or something.

I usually try to plan my route in such a way that it's not an issue, like if I need to go left and can't change that light, I go 1 block up and make a right, then another right and go straight if I can change it going the other direction. But, that only works if I know the lights I can or can't change. Like "oh darn, I guess have to ride more miles, oh well". Just like I told my wife I have to ride every day because even though I now have a battery tender, I can't let the gas sit too long in the carburetor or it will gum up. 😁

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,962 Posts
Here, if the light cycles 3 X, on the third, you just go. (Providing you can do so safely) Otherwise IIRC three minutes w/o the light changing. I'm not real up on the law... I only utilized it one time, when my wife, son and i were out on a ride. She was not at all ready for the idea. Afterwards she acted like she just got away with a bank robbery or something. :ROFLMAO:
Same here in NC. I have to use it all the time at one particular light. If no one is around I don't even wait the 3 mins. Why would anyone care anyway? Of course I check for cops first. Can't trust them around here.

·
Former Lurker
3,972 Posts
My main riding buddy is getting closer to being back on the road. Local HD serv mgr (now another neighbor) told him that almost all of the parts for his rebuild are in and the few remaining items are on order and NOT show as back-ordered.
He is anxious to get riding again.
His wife just got the stage 2 installed on her new heritage, looks, sounds and (she says) runs great. Her 114 is now S2 and I'm running along at S1. Need to scrape up the bucks for a 131 kit. Current plan is to wait for the bike to need a re-build, but we'll have to see how bad she smokes me and her hubby. (He has a 110 S1)

10101 - 10120 of 10174 Posts