Harley Davidson Forums banner
10121 - 10140 of 10174 Posts

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,449 Posts
So, do these things work? Or is it just hype?
From what I gather, it's just hype. Lots of people have tried them and they haven't worked while others swear by them. It seems more have said they failed to work than have said that they do work.

The first link goes more into the science of why they don't work than the second one. Essentially, assuming the induction loops at traffic lights creates a magnetic field and disruption of that field is the trigger, thinking a magnet will disrupt it is a logical conclusion, but the reality is that it's not that simple and doesn't work how you'd think it would, because the basic premise is too oversimplified.

·
old scoot coot
5,564 Posts
mickey, tony and i rode down to choteau, ok today for lunch at the amish house. fried chicken, mashed taters and gravy, green beans with bacon. no ice cream or blackverry cobbler so i had carrot cake. i need to save that place for summer when blackberries are in season and the ice cream machine is running. yum though. 202 miles on a good ride day. some light overcast in places. 46 leaving and 61 on the way back. a great lunch, ride, company and a great time was had by mickey, tony and tommy. hasta.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,962 Posts
Said Good-bye to Cat Rat last night as she went to a new home. That Sportster was fun but with 3.5 bikes and in need of $$ a decision had to be made. It goes that way sometimes but no regrets.

·
Registered
2006 Electra Glide Ultra Classic - Houston, Texas
170 Posts
Got a nice ride in yesterday on my day off. Started out a little cool and about 2 hours in I got down right cold. Warmed up in the afternoon nicely. I forget to pause the Relive app, only road for 8 hours, rest of time was at property.

·
old scoot coot
5,564 Posts
i kida wasted today for ridding. it was a really nice day. i went over to independence to leave old laptop off at repair shop. they moved to bartlesville so i ran a couple of errands, circled back by airport flew for a bit and did some more errands in goofyville, no cage, on flash and then was out of the mood to ride. solo again tomorrow i hope.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Stealership got me again. Needed a rear tire for sure. When I got in they told me ny front was getting there, and they had a discount on the matching front. Of course. Sure put it on. 2 hours later the bill came and was $777 even. Wow I was not expecting that but not surprised..less than 10k miles and both oem tires toasted. And they only oem in stock for my size.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
old scoot coot
5,564 Posts
Stealership got me again. Needed a rear tire for sure. When I got in they told me ny front was getting there, and they had a discount on the matching front. Of course. Sure put it on. 2 hours later the bill came and was $777 even. Wow I was not expecting that but not surprised..less than 10k miles and both oem tires toasted. And they only oem in stock for my size.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
yep, use a good indie for tires. let them get em for you and ask for american elites. they will more than double that mileage and should run way less than that.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,962 Posts
I'm part of the Green Light club right now. Tenders are working just fine. It's a bit weird having that 'extra' room in the garage now, but it's also nice being able to move around without dodging handlebars and such.

·
old scoot coot
5,564 Posts
Hey fat, I've changed tires on bikes, right in shop myself and saved hundreds. I don't have a tire machine but with screwdriver and flat bars, you can save too. Here's is your cupon
hat's off to you rat. i do all maint and repairs except tires. i used too but it's grunt work i just hate. if you buy the tires from indie they charge almost no labor to install. mine has thirty dollors labor for install and balance, if bearings are needed they will replace. a full set of rear bearings was 25.00. that's one thing i treat myself to. you must be young and tough.:)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nope, I'm a long way from young. Just like to save a few bucks when I can. When I was 14 I put my first clutch in and after buttoning back up I turned around and seen a couple parts left over but I kicked it 2x let out clutch and all was good. Been turning my own wrenches since.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,962 Posts
Nope, I'm a long way from young. Just like to save a few bucks when I can. When I was 14 I put my first clutch in and after buttoning back up I turned around and seen a couple parts left over but I kicked it 2x let out clutch and all was good. Been turning my own wrenches since.
What's worse than a couple 'extra' parts when you button everything up? A missing wrench after your dumb-ass BIL put the intake manifold back on your small block Dodge engine and SWEARS he didn't leave it laying in the lifter galley (open area under the manifold) and then starts the engine to 'prove' it and the ensuing noise was making me want to flat out stab him in the face!!!!! I told him DO NOT start the engine as that can severely damage it if indeed the wrench is laying in there. I don't miss that stupid tard-o one bit!

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,449 Posts
I don't feel like getting up. Decided while I am laying here trying to wake up, to look and see how much I need for those heated jacket liner, pants and socks. Looked up size by my measurements, small for pants and jacket, medium for socks. Start looking them up and the small is sold out everywhere. Wtf, nobody has anything except large and extra large, even mediums sold out for pants and jacket liner. Well shit, that's the one size you'd maybe think would least likely sell out, seems everyone else always needs large or xl.

Luckily I don't need that stuff at the moment. High of 64 today, 67 tomorrow.

10121 - 10140 of 10174 Posts