Harley Davidson Forums banner
10141 - 10160 of 10174 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I don't feel like getting up. Decided while I am laying here trying to wake up, to look and see how much I need for those

Luckily I don't need that stuff at the moment. High of 64 today, 67 tomorrow.
Yeah, I'm thinking about heated gear. But, it's 34F right now. High might get to 37F. Geez, maybe that's just an unnecessary expense, whattayathink?

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,449 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking about heated gear. But, it's 34F right now. High might get to 37F. Geez, maybe that's just an unnecessary expense, whattayathink?
The stuff is expensive for sure. I mean, glove liners by themselves aren't expensive, it's all the other crap you need to go with it that adds up. $200 just to have warm hands. Getting the jacket liner, pants and socks is another $600 or so. Luckily though, that's a 1-time expense for 5-10+ years (hopefully).

The cost is why I always waffled on getting any because I didn't need it more than maybe 1 week a year where I live (for daytime riding; if I rode at night anywhere, I could use it for 2-3 months of the year). Now I am glad I got it, or at least got started on it. Plus, I have it in the event I ever go somewhere that's actually cold in the winter or overnight... like when I attempted my Iron Butt last year and it was freezing in June coming through those lakes in Oklahoma at 2 am.

Still, I put in my email for notification of when they got pants and jacket liner back in stock on Revzilla. Should probably do the same on Cycle Gear.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
went out to the garage and turned on the tunes on the bike to see what my newest discovery of an old song sounded like through the bike. It went straight onto my Sturgis playlist
Armadillo Blues by Smoking Joe Kobek and Bnois King. How have I missed that gem?
I just about said "F" you doc, I'm riding this thing RIGHT NOW but then came to my senses.
Good tune though......

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know more of yall old cod sacks are like me. I've got some battery powered socks and gloves and they make for a comfortable ride as long as it's not more than 4 hours in anything below 30ish. I'm in both for for under 200 clams. We've all been riding enough to have chaps and a good jacket. I've had those " wired to bike" stuff and ALWAYS for get to unplug myself before hopping off. Luckily in Alabama year round riding is possible. Yall keepem safe and warm out there

·
Registered
2006 Electra Glide Ultra Classic - Houston, Texas
170 Posts
Here's some raw video of my ride on Wednesday. Didn't edit much and it's long, 25 minutes. I was thinking some folks can't ride due to weather right now and might want to see a little more of the Texas hill country looks like. The higher terrain is about 30 miles west of my place. The video is me going around Lake Medina, west of San Antonio, from the east, then heading north, then west to then south to my place. Hopefully it's not too boring

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,366 Posts
The stuff is expensive for sure. I mean, glove liners by themselves aren't expensive, it's all the other crap you need to go with it that adds up. $200 just to have warm hands. Getting the jacket liner, pants and socks is another $600 or so. Luckily though, that's a 1-time expense for 5-10+ years (hopefully).

The cost is why I always waffled on getting any because I didn't need it more than maybe 1 week a year where I live (for daytime riding; if I rode at night anywhere, I could use it for 2-3 months of the year). Now I am glad I got it, or at least got started on it. Plus, I have it in the event I ever go somewhere that's actually cold in the winter or overnight... like when I attempted my Iron Butt last year and it was freezing in June coming through those lakes in Oklahoma at 2 am.

Still, I put in my email for notification of when they got pants and jacket liner back in stock on Revzilla. Should probably do the same on Cycle Gear.
My brother was gifted then gifted me full Gerbing heated gear including socks about 8 years ago. 30- 40 degree riding is a pleasure where I live on clean and dry roads. You feel super human being nice and warm on 30-50 degree days. One of my bikes has heated grips and seat to assist. The heated seat bothers me cuz that is the last place I need heat.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Here's some raw video of my ride on Wednesday. Didn't edit much and it's long, 25 minutes. I was thinking some folks can't ride due to weather right now and might want to see a little more of the Texas hill country looks like. The higher terrain is about 30 miles west of my place. The video is me going around Lake Medina, west of San Antonio, from the east, then heading north, then west to then south to my place. Hopefully it's not too boring

Lesblank my battery heated gear is the same way except the gloves may get 2 hrs on high.
I did ride a little today 38° the heated socks works fine I have milwaukee heated jackets and having extra batteries on hand is a must.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
went out to the garage and turned on the tunes on the bike to see what my newest discovery of an old song sounded like through the bike. It went straight onto my Sturgis playlist
Armadillo Blues by Smoking Joe Kobek and Bnois King. How have I missed that gem?
I just about said "F" you doc, I'm riding this thing RIGHT NOW but then came to my senses.
Good tune though......
Easy Mr Lou just listen to the doc and wait a while ya dont want ta take two steps forward and 5 steps back do ya .
You gotta a whole long season of riding weather heading your way soon enough ..... just think now if you lived here in UK ya would go stur crazy wanting to ride but not able to due to the poxy weather .

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Lesblank my battery heated gear is the same way except the gloves may get 2 hrs on high.
I did ride a little today 38° the heated socks works fine I have milwaukee heated jackets and having extra batteries on hand is a must.
Do you use rechargeable batteries or do you just buy and throw away the dead batteries ? batteries are fairly expensive here for a good make like Duracell so having rechargeable would make sense if that's possible

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,962 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know, did you stab him in the face?
My fear of confined spaces kept him alive that day. I haven't seen him in many years so there is no telling what has happened to him since then. Would be no surprise to anyone if he just disappeared.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton and Kainam

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Rode all year, except for a couple days, in '73-'74 from Hampton, VA to Norfolk. Heated gear wasn't available, so far as I knew, back then. I geared up best I could, and had a scarf wrapped around my neck. Looked like Snoopy flying his dog house. Could have used heated gear in '15 when I went from here to Philly. First few days were COLD! Finally warmed up some by Iowa.

·
weird member
3,449 Posts
And days like today are days I am glad I finally decided to take the plunge to heated gear. Though, I am not riding today. Daytime high is 41° with a wind chill of 33°. Disregard the high temp on the screen shot, that was at midnight while the temperature was still dropping.

Still kind of miffed I can't find the pants or jacket liner in my size now that I finally decided to buy all the stuff.

They're saying we might even get snow in a week, but it is still too early to tell. It's been about 10 years since we got snow here.
Font Material property Rectangle Screenshot Art

·
weird member
3,449 Posts
Well, jacket liner came in stock so I ordered that and the socks, pants still aren't in stock. Probably will be here before the cold weekend, so that'll be nice. High 50° today, didn't ride yesterday, so I decided to go a few towns over to my favorite watering hole.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,962 Posts
What did on my bike today? Nothing. Nothing at all. Crap weather had moved in and we had ice pretty thick as well. The green lights are still on....

·
Super Moderator
11,628 Posts
Feeling the same, though we had 45 degree weather yesterday, it was raining cats and dogs, the beauty of that is much of the salt has been washed away. But today and the following days it's getting cold again.

62 days to Spring

10141 - 10160 of 10174 Posts