Harley Davidson Forums banner
11461 - 11480 of 11639 Posts

·
Registered
44,218 Posts
Kinam prompted me to try my first Culver's custard for lunch today. I had a medium vanilla w/salted caramel. Amazing I waited so long!
Not sure why it took me 50-60 miles to find a Culvers, their locator thing says there's 5 of em within a 10 mile radius of me! :loco

·
Registered
44,218 Posts
Just got in from riding the second longest continuous metro loop in the US at 85 miles. There's a couple sections you gotta be on your toes at night... Some unlit turns kinda sneak up on ya.

Was nice temperature wise after the sun went down. It got dang hot today ~95° in the afternoon, 80° now.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,828 Posts
Not sure why it took me 50-60 miles to find a Culvers, their locator thing says there's 5 of em within a 10 mile radius of me! :loco
Same reason it takes me 20+ miles to get to the coffee place that's 2 miles from my house I suppose.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just got in from riding the second longest continuous metro loop in the US at 85 miles. There's a couple sections you gotta be on your toes at night... Some unlit turns kinda sneak up on ya.

Was nice temperature wise after the sun went down. It got dang hot today ~95° in the afternoon, 80° now.
I rode both Monday & Tuesday. Both days w/highs in low 80s & light winds. Today will rise to low 90s. Traffic is always pretty light & I ride mostly on secondary roads west of Yankton. There is a Culver's in town less than a mile from our home & tried one of their "Butter Burgers" once but I asked for meat to be lightly cooked but they told their burgers are only cooked their way, well done. Still great custard, though.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Keep the Honda if you like it. Your knee will heal if you don't **** it up. Work it, man, & do your prescribed exercises, therapies, & follow restrictions.
I was going to tell him the same thing. That knee will be in great shape after the surgery as long as you do the PT exercises.

·
Registered
412 Posts
here ya go brown. finished it up today. cept for patching up the leads and putting them back on. here it is in its designated location in my little tig,mig,arc and oxy corner of the shop. tomorrow i'm riding. it's fried chicken day at the amish house in choteau, ok and i am going to be there. i rode fury, the 14 limited, to the hardware store this morning and to get a hair cut. a couple more lunch rides and a three hole for it and out comes the 17 limited, flash, for the summer months. have a great humpday tomorrow fellas and lisa! hasta. View attachment 809764 View attachment 809765 View attachment 809766
Does the expression "Shop Envy" register? Heck, you even appear to have room for more stuff! Are we seeing the shiny new fasteners on your 2nd photo?

·
Registered
1994 FLHR Road King.
175 Posts
I was going to tell him the same thing. That knee will be in great shape after the surgery as long as you do the PT exercises.
That's not what the surgeon said. He said most of my meniscus is gone and there is a ton of arthritis. He said I will never run again and will need a total knee replacement before I am 60. My knees have hurt to be bent for long periods ever since I came back from the Gulf War. VA denied it had anything to do with breathing in all the polluted smoke.

I used to be able to stand sitting for about an hour or so before I had to stretch my legs out. Now, it is down to just a few minutes.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,828 Posts
Well, I noticed with that new brake pad, the rubber was wearing out fast on it (you'll see in the pic, and I only had this on 2 weeks maybe, can't remember) and at a stop light, my foot was sliding off from the vibration, so I got a different one. It's the same size length and width, though the metal part slightly less thick but that's partly because it's one piece and the rubber has double sided stick tape to attach it to the metal instead of being sandwiched between two metal pieces like the other one (which is also why the other one has those two screws on the side, this one doesn't so another plus to a cleaner look). The rubber is also a lot less thick, but I think might grip better.

I also think the look fits better too, only thing I don't like are those three scoops cut out on the left, makes it look cheap.
Hand Sunglasses Camera lens Automotive tire Finger
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tire Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Crankset Automotive tire
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's not what the surgeon said. He said most of my meniscus is gone and there is a ton of arthritis. He said I will never run again and will need a total knee replacement before I am 60. My knees have hurt to be bent for long periods ever since I came back from the Gulf War. VA denied it had anything to do with breathing in all the polluted smoke.

I used to be able to stand sitting for about an hour or so before I had to stretch my legs out. Now, it is down to just a few minutes.
Thought you had already had knee replacement surgery & were recovering. Sounds like you do need knee replacement though. Only one knee? Best to get it done ASAP. My first cousin just had his right hip & knee replaced this spring. He was just here last week for a visit & he told me the knee was much more painful than the hip was but he's really getting along well now. He probably won't be doing any running either, but we'll be walking North Dakota fields for pheasant this coming fall.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I changed the oil. I was at 3000 miles since my last change.

My biggest new is medical. I got the go-ahead for a hip replacement, so my riding season will end early on 9/18. My bad hip was due to a childhood injury caused by a staff infection I got when I was born. Since about 2012, its really gotten a lot worse - pain-wise. Its hard to move my leg on and off the foot-boards. That has not only made riding painful, its really effected my confidence. I've started to worry about being able to get my leg to the ground when stopping and just being able to hold the motorcycle up.

I'm a little scared cause there's a chance that the staff bacteria is still dormant in the joint and I could end up with a bad infection. The doc says the risk is only slightly greater than normal, but it still bugs me. I know a guy who went in for a routine hip replacement and ended up badly infected and almost died. I know another guy who's in a wheelchair now because of an infected hip replacement. Well, I shouldn't dwell on this negative sh!t. Its gonna turn out like its gonna turn out.

Anyway, I need to get out and get some riding in before September. This fall, I'll be counting on you guys to keep posting tales of your adventures while I recover. God willing, I'll be out riding next spring good as or better than new!
Best of luck with surgery until then enjoy your spring and summer the best you can.

·
old scoot coot
6,185 Posts
finally after a week and a half a day trip. mickey, tony and i rode down to choteau, ok to the amish house for lunch today. severe clear and warm now 91 degrees coming back. i could feel the sun kicking in the homemade vitamin D machine. 206 miles on the clock pulling into the shop. fury running crisp and yielding 38mpg at mid cruise. i had fried chicken, green beans n bacon, mashed taters and they have the best ole homemade chicken gravy. then i had a bowl of blackberry cobbler smothered in a bunch of soft serve ice cream from their machine. i'm starting to find the pounds i lost while sick last week. guess i'll save em for next time i get sick. a great day on the cherokee side, a great lunch, ride and a great time was had by tony, mickey and tommy. one more lunch and time to break out flash. hasta.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts

A good friend of mine's wife managed to get BOTH knees ran over by her own car when her baby girl kicked the shift out of park. Mom was 7 months pregnant with daughter no 2. As she somehow chased the car down, got it stopped but again somehow fell out and the rear wheel ran over both knees. Shattering both. She spent the remainder of her pregnancy in a hospital bed unable to take any painkillers for her legs. As soon as Julianne was delivered, they went straight into total knee replacement surgery on both legs. They used cadaver knees.

They told her it would take about a year for her to relearn walking. She was a ER RN and used to spending 16 hour days on her feet. She returned to work full time 3 months after the surgery. She's now retired, in her late 60's and still flutters around like a dust devil all day long. She just won't sit! I tell her to plant, cuz she makes me dizzy! She says: "Ha! I'm 66 with 30 year old knees! I can bounce all day!"

Don't count yourself out of the game just yet! You just may have some marathons to trophy in! And a Iron Butt!

·
old scoot coot
6,185 Posts
Well, I noticed with that new brake pad, the rubber was wearing out fast on it (you'll see in the pic, and I only had this on 2 weeks maybe, can't remember) and at a stop light, my foot was sliding off from the vibration, so I got a different one. It's the same size length and width, though the metal part slightly less thick but that's partly because it's one piece and the rubber has dobuble sided stick tape to attach it to the metal instead of being sandwiched between two metal pieces like the other one (which is also why the other one has those two screws on the side, this one doesn't so another plus to a cleaner look). The rubber is also a lot less thick, but I think might grip better.

I also think the look fits better too, only thing I don't like are those three scoops cut out on the left, makes it look cheap.
View attachment 809794 View attachment 809795 View attachment 809796 View attachment 809797
well kyle, at least with feet the size of surf boards, you won't miss the break pedal. :oops:

·
old scoot coot
6,185 Posts
Thought you had already had knee replacement surgery & were recovering. Sounds like you do need knee replacement though. Only one knee? Best to get it done ASAP. My first cousin just had his right hip & knee replaced this spring. He was just here last week for a visit & he told me the knee was much more painful than the hip was but he's really getting along well now. He probably won't be doing any running either, but we'll be walking North Dakota fields for pheasant this coming fall.
cept that all ortho surguries should be scheduled during one of the two worst winter months so a minimum of riding is missed while healing and going to the rehab dungeon.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
PNWKing, I'll trade you knees anyday! Of course mine have a few more years on them, and likely more abuse. Right knee has been worked on twice, and left one once.

Reactions: tommytailspin
11461 - 11480 of 11639 Posts