Harley Davidson Forums banner
11941 - 11960 of 11983 Posts

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,955 Posts
Good day all,
Had a great ride in this am. It was 59 when I left the house. Have not seen temps like that recently. Don't worry, it will be 97 tomorrow.

It looks like the battery on my 10 RGS is fading. I am pretty good about plugging in the charger when parked. It will be 3 yrs old this fall.

Any current recommendations on a battery? AGM vs Lith. ? Anyone running and happy with lith? Any particular brand or sizes to avoid?
Have not had to buy a batt for about the past 5 yrs...
Just seeing what folks are doing today.
Personally, I go with AGM. They're tried and true and I know them, and they can be found anywhere. Can have tested and charged anywhere with trickle charge on it, no need for a special charger.

Others swear by lithiums. They've come a long way, I'm just personally not ready to trust them. Plus, my bike is older, there's no official lithium made for it from the Moco or from any brand I have heard of and trust. There are lithiums available, just from brands I never heard of. Plus, electrical is my weakest area, and I dunno how my older charging system will do with lithium or if lithium needs a special charging system or something on older bikes that don't have a BCM (operating under the presumption maybe a BCM might adjust the input, if the lithium maybe needs different charging from the system? But I don't know about that either, too many "maybes" in that, just guessing possibilities).

Though any time I change the battery, because it sits down in the oil tank on my softail, I always debate about giving lithium a shot trying to lift that AGM out with just my finger tips, or trying to keep it lifted up enough with one hand to attach the positive cable. Them things are heavy when you can't get a good grip on them.

Not sure what the cost per year is between the two. I know lithiums were expensive a couple years back but haven't looked at them in a while.

JTJ, if you got 5 years out of ,u doing better than most. I'm round 3-1/2 on past ones I've bought
I only get about 3 or so years as well. The climate is just too hot here for them to last much longer than that.

·
weird member
3,955 Posts
Let's see, didn't they prohibit lithium batteries from being shipped via air? And aren't they real fickle about cold temps? Nope, too new, all the bugs not worked out yet. I'll take an AGM, thank you very much.:):)
To be fair though, what I understand about cold temps, you just have to let the battery warm up by turning the ignition on and letting the headlamp/lights draw on the battery for 5-15 seconds or something like that before trying to start it. That's all I ever heard about cold temps with them though.

For me, it really is just not understanding enough about them or electrical systems.

·
weird member
3,955 Posts
In other news, I went for a ride yesterday and it was even more squirrely in the back, rear tire developed another tear. So I am not riding for a while. Not sure how long it will be for my new tires to come in.

I need to not be riding it anyway until the lifter issue is sorted (and I am really hoping it's just lifters and not a valve problem or something even worse, but the noise did change when swapping the lifters to the ones that weren't working for me and then swapping back to what I had). Still haven't heard back from Johnson, so still waiting on the Feuling race lifters.

Was reading about them last night in preparation for when I can get some. They're recommended for engines running over 185 lbs valve spring seat pressure (which I definitely am). Reading their instructions, when using their adjustable pushrods, they have the same TPI as the S&S cromoly pushrods so no need to deviate from turns listed in instructions. The lifter is a full travel lifter with .200" travel, their recommendation is .090 to .093" preload (3 to 3¼ turns on 32 TPI pushrods), whereas the S&S lifters recommended .125" (4 turns) on theirs. The Feuling recommendation seems in line with other recommendations I've seen for running just 1/3 to just under half (rather than just over) preload with high lift cams, so all that seems promising.

D&D just called to confirm my order for the Low Cat, 12-14 weeks. So that's in the works.

I hate being down, this is basically my only hobby I get any enjoyment out of. Kicking myself over not buying that Triumph Tiger I saw for sale for $2K a few years ago, would be nice to have a second bike right now.

·
American
31,876 Posts

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
44,599 Posts
Personally, I go with AGM. They're tried and true and I know them, and they can be found anywhere. Can have tested and charged anywhere with trickle charge on it, no need for a special charger.

Others swear by lithiums. They've come a long way, I'm just personally not ready to trust them. Plus, my bike is older, there's no official lithium made for it from the Moco or from any brand I have heard of and trust. There are lithiums available, just from brands I never heard of. Plus, electrical is my weakest area, and I dunno how my older charging system will do with lithium or if lithium needs a special charging system or something on older bikes that don't have a BCM (operating under the presumption maybe a BCM might adjust the input, if the lithium maybe needs different charging from the system? But I don't know about that either, too many "maybes" in that, just guessing possibilities).

Though any time I change the battery, because it sits down in the oil tank on my softail, I always debate about giving lithium a shot trying to lift that AGM out with just my finger tips, or trying to keep it lifted up enough with one hand to attach the positive cable. Them things are heavy when you can't get a good grip on them.

Not sure what the cost per year is between the two. I know lithiums were expensive a couple years back but haven't looked at them in a while.

I only get about 3 or so years as well. The climate is just too hot here for them to last much longer than that.
Not only that, I have my own battery/charging system tester and it doesnt work on lithium either.

Cheaper than the price difference between AGM and lithium battery. There are cheaper versions available.

With lithiums, its the ole run it till it don't run anymore and replace.

·
old scoot coot
6,291 Posts
rode it to the airport this morning. the play bug bit first. i went flying on a buzz all my rural friends mission i got most all of em. most of the wheat in mg and labette counties has been cut and it looks the rest will be cut today. nice morning. oil temp only got to 215 degrees. still running straight dino 50w in summer. it's getting really hard to get and very expensive. will have to start running multiweight in next couple of years. i guess the work bug is out again tomorrow. mickey and i are riding. had to ask, common courtesy ya know. :p hasta.

·
old scoot coot
6,291 Posts
Maybe wrong post area but I'm thinking about putting a 4-inch diameter fan behind my oil cooler. Does anybody think this may help in slow traffic situation? My triumph has a radiator fan?
i think so the twin cooled ultras have fans on the radiators. they are thermostatically controlled. on the oil cooler fan with no thermostat you could just have it on a toggle switch or one of the accessery switches on the panel and just manually turn it on when in slow traffic.

·
weird member
3,955 Posts
Got the call that my new tires are in, so I ran the wheels up there to drop them off.

Took a video of the tears. Last time I rode, I thought it had gotten even more squirrely, and noticed two additional tears, all in the center. Asked the Harley service department what might cause that and they said they've never seen anything like it.

I might try to contact Dunlop customer service and see if they have anything to say, because this is the second time in a row on this rear. I keep it at 40 psi according to Dunlop recommendation, but thinking about maybe trying to keep it more like 38 psi. If it does it again, guess I am going to switch to Mich Commander II or something. Sucks because I love the feel of these. Guess we'll see in a year.

·
Super Moderator
12,385 Posts
I looked through my TTS tuning archives.

I switched off the Knock Retard in the tune dated 9/12/2021, ran it that way on this last race day of the 2021 season. I never changed it back at the start of the 2022 season, so a total of 18 passes operating under that condition!

I think this is a big contributor to my failed bearing(s), which I suspect is one or both rod bearings. Working on disassembly tonight to find exactly what failed.

11941 - 11960 of 11983 Posts