Harley Davidson Forums banner
12581 - 12600 of 12727 Posts

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
4,130 Posts
Went out in the garage, was thinking about taking the carb off tonight and if Harley didn't have the boot gasket in stock, I could open the other carb rebuild kit to grab that one. Decided first to take a look at the air cleaner.

Gross. Didn't notice how dirty it was because the side I see facing the rear looks clean and I always keep the rainsock on it (which itself is black), side shown in the picture is the front-facing side. So I swapped the clean one on. Most of the rest of the filter looked clean and this filter is overkill on the CFM flow anyway, so I doubt that was causing any issues. Tomorrow night will be carb boot gasket after it cools down.

Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
old scoot coot
6,535 Posts
tony and i rode down to vanita this morning. we left at nine to get back a little early. so it was breakfast at clantons, yum. i led home. went east out of vanita over through afton, ok and buffalo ranch to miami and west over to welch at hwy 2. then on back on 2 and 166. a pretty day it was. 83 degrees going down and 101 coming back. 155 miles on the clock. when we got back i went to visit an old friend ron, a sick friend. he's doing pretty ok considering. i hope y'all have a great humpday tomorrow. hasta.

·
Super Moderator
10,450 Posts
Weather was crappy all day with intermittent showers, so I, rolled the SGS back to the bike shop [had it in the truck spot] while we did the electrical upgrades.

We finished the wire pulls Monday evening, hooked up the Lightnings 80 amp EVSE, my nephew update the online electrical work permit to "ready for inspection status"
Electrical wiring Circuit component Technology Engineering Composite material

This morning the inspector gave us the thumbs up on the project and updated the permit status to ready for Grid to connect service line, now we wait for them to arrive in the next 3-7 days, soon I'll be able to charge the truck 14 times faster at 19.2kw/hr. vs 1.4kw/hr. using the mobile unit !!

Communication Device Audio equipment Adapter Gadget Electrical wiring

·
weird member
4,130 Posts
Well, the carb boot gasket was definitely leaking. Looked in my log book and the last time I replaced intake gaskets, apparently I used Genuine James for the intake gaskets and HD for the carb boot gasket on May 20 at 55,543 miles. So a new boot gasket from HD today at 58,337 miles.

That means the HD boot gasket lasted 4 months and 2,794 miles (and the bike was down 2 of those 4 months waiting on new lifters). Pitiful.

Anyway, the carb/air cleaner bracket stuff was all tight, so nothing loose there. In the past, when I have pulled carb, I've had to tug it a little to pull it off the intake. Today, it nearly fell off the minute the breather bolts came out.

Gasket has no indentation in it whatsoever from the carb spigot, gas and WD-40 (from leak test) on inside of gasket in the channel that goes around the intake manifold as well as the inside that the carb goes into. When I pulled off the carb, you could see grime on the intake (didn't take a pic because I only unhooked the gas line and held the carb out of the way in one hand while wiping off the intake and installing gasket with the other).

This will do for now, but next time I order parts or something online, going to throw a gasket from Genuine James or Cometic in there for when this one craps out. Carb didn't feel snug going into this gasket either. Here's hoping it was only that gasket leaking. 🤞

Old gasket, looks basically unused other than being wet:
Hand Automotive tire Finger Rim Automotive wheel system
Hand Automotive tire Wood Finger Tire

·
weird member
4,130 Posts
Well, intake leak not fixed, if that's even what it is (the ONLY symptom is the idle hangs a little when you pull the clutch and let go of the throttle, it drops normally then sticks around 1200-1300 rpms for a second before dropping).

On top of that, my oil pressure sending unit now leaks, at least that's as best I can tell where it's coming from (I do have a new one sitting in a drawer). It was minor, but it's a mess today because my patience with these s**ty drivers here has been obliterated and I pounded like a total ******* today, full WOT passing on no passing roads with high-end power shifting, etc, made the leak much more obvious. Like I am fed up to the point if, at a stop, if anyone decided to say anything to me, my only response would be an instant and swift head-butt (helmet on). No words, just lay them out.

Love this bike, but she's starting to piss me off right now. Seriously considering tapping into my retirement and grabbing that El Diablo FXLRST. It's a bad idea, and I really shouldn't, especially considering how much my road rage is getting worse as the people here get exponentially worse at driving with each passing month. I'll wind up in jail with that one.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,164 Posts
Went to put the final 100 miles on the bike to reach 20K and do a 3 hole oil change.
Lucky I left when I did and not 30 minutes later cause on my way back on the opposite side of the highway there was a multi car crash with one roll over crunched up in the ditch where I would have been 30 minutes before.

Also made a big mess in the garage. Pro Tip: Unscrew the air vent in your oil drain container before commencing oil drain.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,164 Posts
Love this bike, but she's starting to piss me off right now. Seriously considering tapping into my retirement and grabbing that El Diablo FXLRST. It's a bad idea, and I really shouldn't, especially considering how much my road rage is getting worse as the people here get exponentially worse at driving with each passing month. I'll wind up in jail with that one.
You know you want it....

Muscle Cap Sleeve Baseball cap T-shirt

·
weird member
4,130 Posts
I do, but we have people knocking out the power to half the city with their shit driving. Seriously half the city (5 hubs) was without power for an hour and a half a few nights ago because of one person's bad driving...
Font Technology Screenshot Darkness Multimedia

But yes, I am super tempted, I want it bad.

·
old scoot coot
6,535 Posts
Weather was crappy all day with intermittent showers, so I, rolled the SGS back to the bike shop [had it in the truck spot] while we did the electrical upgrades.

We finished the wire pulls Monday evening, hooked up the Lightnings 80 amp EVSE, my nephew update the online electrical work permit to "ready for inspection status"
View attachment 816420

This morning the inspector gave us the thumbs up on the project and updated the permit status to ready for Grid to connect service line, now we wait for them to arrive in the next 3-7 days, soon I'll be able to charge the truck 14 times faster at 19.2kw/hr. vs 1.4kw/hr. using the mobile unit !!

View attachment 816421
wowsie, nice job noel!

·
old scoot coot
6,535 Posts
got the bladder stones blasted they busted em up into smaller pieces and flushed out and vacuumed what they could have to pass the rest. it only hurts to pee, and that aint really happening enough. i think the dr. pepper has me clotting up. switched to choc milk. i have been guzzleing that. if that don't break the damn i may have to go to er. it will take three big ole dudes to catherize this johnson, he is pretty banged up today.:( anyway hit the shop a bit to break up the day and suposedly walk around and keep clotting from happening. i got the bushwheel torn down and cleaned up. it's in pretty good shape parts wise. the swivel had worn loose and was rocking, most of the problem. the thrust plate with pins and springs that plugs into the main spring hub and main spring was ok too. it trashed the thrush washer on the od of the swivel, caused by the rocking and shimmy at speed. i have all the new stuff i need to finish it in stock and will order new pinned thrust plate and new springs, thrush washer, seals, lock washer for head end of axle, and main spring for swivel break over to full swivel to add to new parts i have in stock. i hope y'all have a great friday eve day tomorrow. hasta.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
got the bladder stones blasted they busted em up into smaller pieces and flushed out and vacuumed what they could have to pass the rest. it only hurts to pee, and that aint really happening enough. i think the dr. pepper has me clotting up. switched to choc milk. i have been guzzleing that. if that don't break the damn i may have to go to er. it will take three big ole dudes to catherize this johnson, he is pretty banged up today.:( anyway hit the shop a bit to break up the day and suposedly walk around and keep clotting from happening. i got the bushwheel torn down and cleaned up. it's in pretty good shape parts wise. the swivel had worn loose and was rocking, most of the problem. the thrust plate with pins and springs that plugs into the main spring hum and main spring was ok too. it trashed the thrush washer on the od of the swivel, caused by the rocking and shimmy at speed. i have all the new stuff i need to finish it in stock and will order new pinned thrust plate and new springs, thrush washer, seals, lock washer for head end of axle, and main spring for swivel break over to full swivel to add to new parts i have in stock. i hope y'all have a great friday eve day tomorrow. hasta. View attachment 816464 View attachment 816465
You're all plugged up because the Johnson's has heard about those razor blades and wants nothing to do with it!
Not envying you right now mr Tommy... Ugg!

·
old scoot coot
6,535 Posts
Well, intake leak not fixed, if that's even what it is (the ONLY symptom is the idle hangs a little when you pull the clutch and let go of the throttle, it drops normally then sticks around 1200-1300 rpms for a second before dropping).

On top of that, my oil pressure sending unit now leaks, at least that's as best I can tell where it's coming from (I do have a new one sitting in a drawer). It was minor, but it's a mess today because my patience with these s*ty drivers here has been obliterated and I pounded like a total ** today, full WOT passing on no passing roads with high-end power shifting, etc, made the leak much more obvious. Like I am fed up to the point if, at a stop, if anyone decided to say anything to me, my only response would be an instant and swift head-butt (helmet on). No words, just lay them out.

hang in there kyle. we know ya love that bike and you are still too young for a geezer glide. you already have a great hot rod.

·
old scoot coot
6,535 Posts
You're all plugged up because the Johnson's has heard about those razor blades and wants nothing to do with it!
Not envying you right now mr Tommy... Ugg!
ha! may as well laugh or i would cry. it'll work out one way or another. old johnson has gotten smarter in its twilight years. :p thanks for the shoulder scott. you are a fine fella!

12581 - 12600 of 12727 Posts