Harley Davidson Forums banner
12601 - 12620 of 12727 Posts

·
old scoot coot
6,535 Posts
T-spin I know you ready to get those things outta you system. I hope it happens quickly for ya brother
dam is starting to break i got some out a minute ago and not as much blood. ain't going to say it felt good but i'm thinking the er ain't going to be in my immediate future. :) thanks for the shoulder. rat, it helps.

·
old scoot coot
6,535 Posts
Went to put the final 100 miles on the bike to reach 20K and do a 3 hole oil change.
Lucky I left when I did and not 30 minutes later cause on my way back on the opposite side of the highway there was a multi car crash with one roll over crunched up in the ditch where I would have been 30 minutes before.

Also made a big mess in the garage. Pro Tip: Unscrew the air vent in your oil drain container before commencing oil drain.
at least it was used up oil. if that helps.:p a good break missing the pile up too hermano. bikes in multi car crashes don't fare well.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
4,130 Posts
hang in there kyle. we know ya love that bike and you are still too young for a geezer glide. you already have a great hot rod.
I mean, if I got that El Diablo Low Rider, I'd still keep this bike.

Messaged a guy that works up there to ask if anyone laid claim to it, nobody has yet, supposed to be in maybe next week. May go by tomorrow and see if they'll estimate what it'll be be paid in full out the door. I want to see if they have a Low Rider ST I can test ride too.

Depending on a test ride and what the cost will be, that might have me on the phone with my agent to see what it'll cost me to sell off enough of my portfolio for it.

Since I saw the post, I've been tempted, it's like they designed it just for me. If I had a real job, I'd already be starting paperwork.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Washed , chamoised and polished the Harley , noticed the bolt was loose on the engine guard , tightened it up .

Attachments

·
weird member
4,130 Posts
Went by the dealership today to see about a quote on the El Diablo and to test ride a Low Rider ST. They didn't have any STs in so I test road a Low Rider S around the parking lot just to see if I would like the feel since it's so starkly different than what I am used to (28° rake and a 19" front tire or whatever vs 34° rake with a 21"). I kind of liked how it felt except the bars on the one I tried (big t-bars, had to reach a little, but could tell everything I didn't like about the turning feel was due to bars, not the ergonomics or weight distribution or geometry of the bike).

So went inside to see about a quote and they gave me a good quote for otd price. Tomorrow I'm swinging by with $100 for a deposit so I can have first right of refusal. All that's left is to get over my fear of dipping into my retirement. I keep telling myself it's fine, I'll be able to pay 1/3 or so of it back when my father's estate closes and I'm only 35 so it has time to rebuild. I also keep telling myself that my plan when I set it up 3 or whatever years ago was that I would allow myself to dip into it once for a big stupid purchase.

I'm like 95% for sure on it.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,164 Posts
Went by the dealership today to see about a quote on the El Diablo and to test ride a Low Rider ST. They didn't have any STs in so I test road a Low Rider S around the parking lot just to see if I would like the feel since it's so starkly different than what I am used to (28° rake and a 19" front tire or whatever vs 34° rake with a 21"). I kind of liked how it felt except the bars on the one I tried (big t-bars, had to reach a little, but could tell everything I didn't like about the turning feel was due to bars, not the ergonomics or weight distribution or geometry of the bike).

So went inside to see about a quote and they gave me a good quote for otd price. Tomorrow I'm swinging by with $100 for a deposit so I can have first right of refusal. All that's left is to get over my fear of dipping into my retirement. I keep telling myself it's fine, I'll be able to pay 1/3 or so of it back when my father's estate closes and I'm only 35 so it has time to rebuild. I also keep telling myself that my plan when I set it up 3 or whatever years ago was that I would allow myself to dip into it once for a big stupid purchase.

I'm like 95% for sure on it.
I love the way my LRS handles. My NightTrain was great in a straight line, but it seemed like you had to keep constant input to keep it in a turn.

With my LRS, once you put it in a turn, it wants to stay there until you make steering input to take it out of the turn.

·
weird member
4,130 Posts
I love the way my LRS handles. My NightTrain was great in a straight line, but it seemed like you hat to keep constant input to keep it in a turn.

With my LRS, once you put it in a turn, it wants to stay there until you make steering input to take it out of the turn.
That's a good reason I wanted a test ride. My bike handles the same way, put it in a turn and it stays there, don't need constant input, and mine is basically exactly like your Night Train, just older (but similar geometry, though probably very different weight distribution between Evo and TC setups).

I've noticed handlebar position makes a huge difference. My bars are just slightly at a lower angle (closer to me) than being straight in line with the forks. With that, it feels like I have to bump a little harder for a certain degree of curve, but I have much finer control. The same bars, if I push them forward to being dead in line with the fork angle or slightly more forward, it takes less of a bump to make that same turn in, but I don't have quite as fine of a control. Like bars angled more forward is faster but coarser, more back is slower but more fine. Though that's just about initial turn-in, not about maintaining a curve.

With my FXSTC, taking a corner, it feels like all the "weight" is behind me and on or around the back wwheel with the front end being light. Compare my Evo FXSTC to the 01 TC Heritage my brother inherited and all the weight feels like it's in front of me, between me and the front wheel. That's how all FX vs FL bikes feel to me, just where that "weight" feels is slightly different. The FXLRS I rode around their parking lot today, the "weight" in a turn felt a little more forward, like half way between me and the rear wheel

It's kind of hard to describe exactly what I mean by "weight feel". Like it feels pushed from the back in cornering rather than pulled from the front, or like where it's "digging in". That's the feel I like that's based on bike geometry. Turn-in response being fast or slow is adjustable with bar width and angle. At least that's what I have found in my limited experimentation (01 Heritage, my 97 FXSTC, a 92/93 FXRT chopped up no fairing big massive inverted forks, a Panzer Digger DX hardtail and an '03 XL883).

Though some of that might just be less bike geometry and more how I am on it, I can't really say, I can only say about the angle of the bars relative to the forks changing the coarseness of turn-in as that's something I experimented with on my bike, so all things being the same except angle of bars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I rode to work on Friday and went out of town to work. I left the bike parked in our shop.

Saturday, when I got back, I move the bike into the parking lot so the roll up doors could be shut and it kind of acted a little funny but once I was moving, it seemed fine. I even did a quick look around.

On my way home, the bike was acting very heavy in the turns, caught road lines and wobbled some and I was thinking it was just the road. I ride the superslab and was traveling at 80 MPH. I was rounding a bend when the back end started wobbling and sliding which caused the bars to start wobbling. Luckily I was able to get it onto the shoulder safely. Took a quick look and the rear tire was completely flat. Called a tow truck to get her home and while I was waiting, I moved the bike in small increments looking for some road debris and found nothing. Once I got her back into her house, I tried airing up the rear and it wouldn't fill past 10psi and would drop right back to zero in a couple of seconds. I felt air rushing from under the fender so I moved her around and found this:

View attachment 816316

That appears to be a puncture right in the middle of my tire tread. It's about 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" long.

I am almost 100% positive that I didn't run over anything (front tire is fine).

Please give some thoughts as to what could have caused this.
Bad luck , I got a punture in the rear tire of my Tiger whilst touring Wales in June , Luckily I had some tire plugs and the petrol station had a working compressor and I was able to get myself back on the road .

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,164 Posts
Here's what was found on my engine drain plug after 5000 miles (20,000 miles total). By far the cleanest of the 3 drain plugs. I'll be sending in an oil sample to Blackstone Labs just to make sure all is OK. Probably will be my last chance before warranty runs out.

Gesture Automotive tire Finger Wood Gas

Speedometer Automotive tire Gauge Steering part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
404 Posts
I’m excited for you! Now you’ll be happy to be able to ride AND tinker instead of waiting until you’re old and suffering from joint pain and male pattern baldness and Wilfred Brimley ”Diabettis.”

·
Registered
2007 Road King Classic
69 Posts
I do, but we have people knocking out the power to half the city with their shit driving. Seriously half the city (5 hubs) was without power for an hour and a half a few nights ago because of one person's bad driving...
View attachment 816458

But yes, I am super tempted, I want it bad.
Surprised it was out for

only an hour and a half. Sounds like you hate Dothan almost as much as I do. Building a circle inside a circle sucks. 😡
I do, but we have people knocking out the power to half the city with their shit driving. Seriously half the city (5 hubs) was without power for an hour and a half a few nights ago because of one person's bad driving...
View attachment 816458

But yes, I am super tempted, I want it bad.
A few more roundabouts at every intersection would help. 😅

·
weird member
4,130 Posts
Surprised it was out for only an hour and a half. Sounds like you hate Dothan almost as much as I do. Building a circle inside a circle sucks. 😡

A few more roundabouts at every intersection would help. 😅
I would be content with just all the slow pokes being forced to stay in the right lane (or middle lane on the 6-lane parts). I really don't hate the city so much, and the construction efforts to me aren't bad, they're actually going about it the right way. It's the citizens themselves. Even when I lived in Atlanta 15 years ago, despite much higher levels of traffic, it wasn't nearly as bad there as here because people actually moved and knew how to drive. All you had to do was avoid the area of "Grady Curve" and you were fine.

This city is way too urbanized and busy now for people to still be driving like they're headed to church on Sunday in Kinsey or Geneva or something.

Saturdays or whenever the Alabama vs Auburn game is on are the best times to ride in the city. During the Alabama/Auburn game, the place is a complete ghost town.

I’m excited for you! Now you’ll be happy to be able to ride AND tinker instead of waiting until you’re old and suffering from joint pain and male pattern baldness and Wilfred Brimley ”Diabettis.”
Yeah, it's going to be nice to have a second bike if either one needs work. Just as long as they both don't need work at the same time.

Anyway, I'm going back over to the dealer now to put the $100 deposit on the El Diablo and to find out if that quote yesterday was an estimate or if that's what it for sure will be, that way I can call my broker and have them liquidate what I need for the bike.

It's going to be a bit before I have it. The MoCo hasn't even shipped it yet, but they should have in in 2-3 weeks maybe, then they have to PDI the thing and get it ready. I'm just going to take it as stock, save up and probably get a different seat, then get handlebars that'll be how I like them. Eventually, I'll probably get them to bring it up to a stage 2, but I'm not going to go all out on it with the 131" or anything like that.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,164 Posts
Eventually, I'll probably get them to bring it up to a stage 2, but I'm not going to go all out on it with the 131" or anything like that.
A good cam, exhaust, and upgrade the air filter to the Ventilator Extreme will get you 90% of the way there for a LOT less money than the 131.

I did the 131 cause in all likelihood, this will be my last Hot Rod Harley, considering how long I tend to keep my bikes, which would put me right around 70 yrs old when I'm ready to replace it. I should be ready for a RoadGlide S by then.

12601 - 12620 of 12727 Posts