Harley Davidson Forums banner
13101 - 13120 of 13187 Posts

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
4,340 Posts
at least you are riding. that's the silver lining. :p
True that.

I try to keep it under control, but these people around here are testing me hard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
11/13: I picked up the Pittsburgh 1500 lift over the weekend, the cheap one for $130. Figured I would try it out for winter storage in the geerage'.

Had to add about 1 1/2 inches of plywood and roll her up. 2" 2x4 for the Jiffy stand.
I might add some rubber mats or some cloth to the plywood just in case the wood splinters it won't go int the tire.

Putting together: Pretty simple on the surface, BUT, I did have to take the pre=installed support arms off (the ones that lock into place on each of the three notches on the frame) because some knumbskull from the manufacturer put them on facing the wrong direction (backwards) and upside down (they wouldn't catch the notch).

Nice jack overall. Seems very sturdy in a fixed position. Balance looked good equal weight ...might move a little maybe an inch forward. Jacking up and lowering down was relatively smooth. No complaints but did do both cautiously.

I didn't try rolling it around the geerage on the stand today by myself. Also have to pick up the tie downs to secure it in a few weeks once the winter sets in here.

Anyway, here are a few pictures testing it out today. Hope this is helpful for anyone considering a jack.
Some good threads on this topic on this site.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
We got back early today from Atlanta, so I went for a ride. Threw on the heated gear because it was low 50's (with a freeze warning overnight).

Not long after the bike warmed up, came up behind a guy at a stop light. Light turns green and guy is accelerating like he's pulling a boulder with a bicycle and my rode rage set in hard immediately. I slipped over the left lane and hammered down, rev-bombed as I passed by his window as if to say "you know, your sh*t box will move if you actually put your foot on the gas". Guess it doesn't help that I been dealing with morons on the road all day the minute I hit I-185 after being spoiled by people that can actually somewhat drive right while in Atlanta (Eastpoint area).

Slammed it so hard that my front turn signals spun half way around. I need to pull off the lenses and see there's a jamb nut in there. I forget how the housings mounted (beyond screwing in) when I replaced the fork clamp mounts a while back.

Beyond that though, traffic is already getting stupid heavy. I'm already pre-annoyed by hit just sitting here thinking about the ride I am going to go on tomorrow.
You and my buddy Eric, make a pair! He's THE most road raged person i know... I get ticked off good now and then. He just stays that way! Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride. Play a game of their pokiness is what you wanted the other guy to do. That way you can keep your blood pressure in check.
Have some fun with it Kyle!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
11/13: I picked up the Pittsburgh 1500 lift over the weekend, the cheap one for $130. Figured I would try it out for winter storage in the geerage'.

Had to add about 1 1/2 inches of plywood and roll her up. 2" 2x4 for the Jiffy stand.
I might add some rubber mats or some cloth to the plywood just in case the wood splinters it won't go int the tire.

Putting together: Pretty simple on the surface, BUT, I did have to take the pre=installed support arms off (the ones that lock into place on each of the three notches on the frame) because some knumbskull from the manufacturer put them on facing the wrong direction (backwards) and upside down (they wouldn't catch the notch).

Nice jack overall. Seems very sturdy in a fixed position. Balance looked good equal weight ...might move a little maybe an inch forward. Jacking up and lowering down was relatively smooth. No complaints but did do both cautiously.

I didn't try rolling it around the geerage on the stand today by myself. Also have to pick up the tie downs to secure it in a few weeks once the winter sets in here.

Anyway, here are a few pictures testing it out today. Hope this is helpful for anyone considering a jack.
Some good threads on this topic on this site.

View attachment 819147 View attachment 819148 View attachment 819149 View attachment 819150 View attachment 819151
I have the same jack. I use it under both my Ultra and her Sporty.
When i first got it, I was playing the same game with the lumber... No need. Just learn where the jack needs to fit for fore/aft balance, then while leaving the jiffy stand in the DOWN position, hold the bike upright and roll the jack under. Two pumps on the foot pedal and the jack will keep the bike balanced left to right.
Oh, you will want to get some GOOD contact cement. To glue the rubber strips back onto the jack pads... The glue HF used sucks! Make sure to use the lowering locks... These jacks creep down after time. Don't ask how i learned this!

When i need to leave the bike up for a while, I will put a length of 2x or 4x, vertically as a "jack stand" beneath the cross support. Cheap insurance.

Edit, That T handle lives at the workbench, NEVER on the jack... It just gets in the way of everything.

·
weird member
4,340 Posts
You and my buddy Eric, make a pair! He's THE most road raged person i know... I get ticked off good now and then. He just stays that way! Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride. Play a game of their pokiness is what you wanted the other guy to do. That way you can keep your blood pressure in check.
Have some fun with it Kyle!
I try. It's less road rage and more, rage at people being in the way constantly and totally unaware of the world around them or that other people exist within it. I have the same problem when there's a long line for food and a giant menu prominently displayed and the guy in front of me decides the best time to look and figure out what he wants isn't when he's waiting in line, but right when reaching the register, and then asks a billion and one questions about everything as if the 20-50 people behind him have nothing else at all to do that day. For example.

I just can't enjoy the ride when the ride is at 5 mph for absolutely no reason at all other than one slack jawed numbskull staring at the sun and wasting oxygen, and lane splitting isn't legal.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't just so constant, like water torture.

Edit:
Side-note, I did not have one instance of road rage in Atlanta, and that included a 1-hour round trip from East Point to Buckhead and back to get dinner, during rush hour traffic. Just to kind of hammer home how bad the drivers are here. It's also one of many reasons I enjoy the trips to ES or Texas, as soon as I get past Mississippi, it's like a breath of fresh air being on the roads.

Kyle did you get a new family member while in Atlanta? Hope rescued bulldog worked out
Nope. It was just a meet and greet to see how our dogs would do, she wasn't coming back with us this trip no matter how well it went. We basically needed it to go perfectly and it did not. Nothing bad happened, the dog is great, she's just pushy. Sweet and submissive, but was pissing off one of ours. They didn't fight or anything, but Maggie snipped at her a bit because the dog was just trying too hard to be friends. It probably doesn't help that Maggie was on a leash (probably is more defensive/guarded), and none of them have been on a trip before like that. But we didn't want them loose because Buttercup (who we were going to meet) is half the size of the girls (Daisy and Maggie both are around 70 lbs each, Buttercup is 30 lbs and is half English, half Frenchie).

However, a few days before going up there, this past Saturday, my wife came across another rescue bulldog elsewhere that she applied for just for the hell of it, they called her today and want her to take the dog, she's going tomorrow to pick him up. No meet and greet or anything, just a small re-homing fee to cover vet bills. This one isn't an abuse case, his owner had to surrender him, we're guessing because he was becoming homeless. He didn't want to give the dog up but basically had no choice. This rescue though isn't actually rescuing this one, they were just posting an ad on behalf of the vet that the dog was surrendered to kind of as a favor. So I guess we're getting a bulldog tomorrow. This dog is also a 6-hour round-trip away so, it's going to work, one way or another.

·
old scoot coot
7,005 Posts
I try. It's less road rage and more, rage at people being in the way constantly and totally unaware of the world around them or that other people exist within it. I have the same problem when there's a long line for food and a giant menu prominently displayed and the guy in front of me decides the best time to look and figure out what he wants isn't when he's waiting in line, but right when reaching the register, and then asks a billion and one questions about everything as if the 20-50 people behind him have nothing else at all to do that day. For example.

I just can't enjoy the ride when the ride is at 5 mph for absolutely no reason at all other than one slack jawed numbskull staring at the sun and wasting oxygen, and lane splitting isn't legal.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't just so constant, like water torture.

Edit:
Side-note, I did not have one instance of road rage in Atlanta, and that included a 1-hour round trip from East Point to Buckhead and back to get dinner, during rush hour traffic. Just to kind of hammer home how bad the drivers are here. It's also one of many reasons I enjoy the trips to ES or Texas, as soon as I get past Mississippi, it's like a breath of fresh air being on the roads.

Nope. It was just a meet and greet to see how our dogs would do, she wasn't coming back with us this trip no matter how well it went. We basically needed it to go perfectly and it did not. Nothing bad happened, the dog is great, she's just pushy. Sweet and submissive, but was pissing off one of ours. They didn't fight or anything, but Maggie snipped at her a bit because the dog was just trying too hard to be friends. It probably doesn't help that Maggie was on a leash (probably is more defensive/guarded), and none of them have been on a trip before like that. But we didn't want them loose because Buttercup (who we were going to meet) is half the size of the girls (Daisy and Maggie both are around 70 lbs each, Buttercup is 30 lbs and is half English, half Frenchie).

However, a few days before going up there, this past Saturday, my wife came across another rescue bulldog elsewhere that she applied for just for the hell of it, they called her today and want her to take the dog, she's going tomorrow to pick him up. No meet and greet or anything, just a small re-homing fee to cover vet bills. This one isn't an abuse case, his owner had to surrender him, we're guessing because he was becoming homeless. He didn't want to give the dog up but basically had no choice. This rescue though isn't actually rescuing this one, they were just posting an ad on behalf of the vet that the dog was surrendered to kind of as a favor. So I guess we're getting a bulldog tomorrow. This dog is also a 6-hour round-trip away so, it's going to work, one way or another.
that dog hit the doggie lottery! he or she is going to a good home. pics please. we love bike and dog pics!

·
weird member
4,340 Posts
that dog hit the doggie lottery! he or she is going to a good home. pics please. we love bike and dog pics!
I'll post about it in the dog thread later when we get him. Well, she's going to pick him up after she gets off work. She won't be back here until maybe 9:00 or 10:00 at the earliest.

Meantime, all suited up and going for a ride.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Took half a day off to ride up to Beaufort SC for a Patriot Guard mission for a 79 year old Vietnam vet. Cool today but perfect with full leathers. Love-hate those missions but gotta do it when I can, seems work always interfere with the ones close enough to get to. not today.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same jack. I use it under both my Ultra and her Sporty.
When i first got it, I was playing the same game with the lumber... No need. Just learn where the jack needs to fit for fore/aft balance, then while leaving the jiffy stand in the DOWN position, hold the bike upright and roll the jack under. Two pumps on the foot pedal and the jack will keep the bike balanced left to right.
Oh, you will want to get some GOOD contact cement. To glue the rubber strips back onto the jack pads... The glue HF used sucks! Make sure to use the lowering locks... These jacks creep down after time. Don't ask how i learned this!

When i need to leave the bike up for a while, I will put a length of 2x or 4x, vertically as a "jack stand" beneath the cross support. Cheap insurance.

Edit, That T handle lives at the workbench, NEVER on the jack... It just gets in the way of everything.
Thanks 1/2 Ton. Some good advice there. Thank you.

Yeah I brought the bike back to vertical with the jack underneath. Still a little tight. I've got a Softail Breakout, kinda low frame.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bought a second hand fairing that came in a tan shade. Need it painted to match the candy orange paint. Through some research it looks like it’s quite the process to match. Anyone got reliable, reasonable paint shops to recommend in LA? Currently west of Baton Rouge but will be heading towards FL in the next month or so ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Where in FL. FB?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Wife went shopping today. So being the great husband I am, decided to go for a ride rather than staying home and possibly messing things up. Weather was perfect. But there were a lot of cops and other riders out there.

Sky Plant Mountain Automotive lighting Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Sky

Here's the video

All was good until I just about got home. On a long straight stretch, went to shift into to 6th, no 6th gear, motor just revs. Pull over and stop, down shifting, all good. Take off again, 1-5th works great, try 6th again, nope. Stop again, check tranny fluid, yep it's good. So head home. Yes, I looked at gear selector, no 6th gear, just revs.

Called dealer when I got home. They're booked for pickup till Friday. I'm impatient and can't wait that long. They say ride it in if 1-5 is good. It's under warranty, so their issue if it messes anything else up. Wife leaves town Tuesday to visit son in North Carolina for 10 days so need a way home. Call Doc, he's going to meet me at dealer on Tuesday and bring me home, thanks Doc.

Yea, I'm bummed right now. Having a trouble free trike is why I bought a later model with warranty. But I do understand stuff happens
That “karma “will get you every time you should have went shopping with the wife 🙂. Let us know what dealership finds out on the 6th gear.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Thanks 1/2 Ton. Some good advice there. Thank you.

Yeah I brought the bike back to vertical with the jack underneath. Still a little tight. I've got a Softail Breakout, kinda low frame.
It's a tight fit for sure under both of my bikes! It does scrub the rubber matts (hence the comment about the glue).

Here's a test for ya... I read here on the forum about mashing the down pedal hard, to bring the bike down slowly.
I tested this theory by: Jacking the bike up to the height of the first (lowest) lock position, sitting on the bikes seat in a "normal" riding position and then mashing the down pedal with my right foot.

Anticipating a "hard landing" but surprisingly, a nice slow soft touchdown. Scary! but it worked.
For the last couple years (since i got this jack) i would tap-tap the bike down. Always mounted on the seat. Now i know to just stand on the down pedal... Just the thought of my Ultra going prone on my garage floor scares me chitless!
No friggin way to recover the bike in here... I'd be needing a porta crane. :eek:

I highly recommend testing this theory yourself under your own controlled environment. Expect the worst but hope for the best... Either way it will surprise you. (y)

·
Registered
2019 Freewheeler, Bandera, Texas
593 Posts
That “karma “will get you every time you should have went shopping with the wife 🙂. Let us know what dealership finds out on the 6th gear.
Turned out to be bent 5-6 shift fork. Warranty covered it. Now I need the weather to break as I've only put about 45 miles on it getting home from dealer.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have one of those. It does it's job. Lifts and lowers the bike, but:

I will say that if you have to leave the bike lifted for an extended period of time, definitely use the stops. The (my) jack has a tendency to drop over a couple of days.

The thing I like least about it is how you have to let the bike down. It doesn't come down slowly. End up having to bounce it down is small steps.
I have that Harborfreight jack it’s only been a few times it went down a little fast but not like slamming down it goes down slow and smooth +1 on using the stops if you keep bike in the air.
BUT one thing on this jack the bike is is not level side to side to get a primary oil check I got 2 shims I use to level the bike.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Took half a day off to ride up to Beaufort SC for a Patriot Guard mission for a 79 year old Vietnam vet. Cool today but perfect with full leathers. Love-hate those missions but gotta do it when I can, seems work always interfere with the ones close enough to get to. not today.
Had many vacations visiting Beaufort SC I love that town ,,, glad you got to attend as Patriot Guard for the 79 year old Vet .

13101 - 13120 of 13187 Posts