Harley Davidson Forums banner
13141 - 13160 of 13187 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
During my ride, it was 45-50° today, so the heated gear was at about 1/2 power. No real idiots encountered today, which was nice.

Ordered some Berryman 2611 intake/combustion cleaner for the coming service interval (in about 250 miles). Going to pick a day when it's in the 60's to do it. Will inspect the plugs first, put new ones, run the cleaning, then do some Italian tune-up to clear the cleaner, then continue with the service interval.
Italian tune up?... WOT run?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
1/2 after I found out that FIAT stands for fuggin Italian attempt at technology, I don't wanna do ANYTHING Italian.
Try riding a Ossa sometime! Hella fast and climbed like a goat. IF you get get it to keep running. Never allow it to bottom out the suspension... Weird chit breaks! (Mine cut off the ass end including the tail light and licence and dumped out the tool roll.) Fiberglass repair kit to the rescue!
Oh, what we call a coil they, called it a "Moto-platt" or something like that.
Made it fun calling around to find a compatible part. Long before the first PC was ever dreamed of, let alone the internet.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
4,340 Posts
Italian tune up?... WOT run?
Yeah. Or at least, higher RPM highway pull.

The stuff came today actually, so I might be doing that Thursday. Hopefully being Thanksgiving—and everything being closed—there won't be as much traffic out there. Supposed to be 75 and clear.

Might go ahead and pull plugs tonight and swap new ones in.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Yeah. Or at least, higher RPM highway pull.

The stuff came today actually, so I might be doing that Thursday. Hopefully being Thanksgiving—and everything being closed—there won't be as much traffic out there. Supposed to be 75 and clear.

Might go ahead and pull plugs tonight and swap new ones in.
Wow! Lucky You!
Around here Thanksgiving is for sure the WORST day of the year to drive!
Every car truck and RV is on the roads. Add in the extra 100,000 visiting that don't have a clue where they are going. Turkey day is for sure a keep off the road day around here!

·
weird member
4,340 Posts
Wow! Lucky You!
Around here Thanksgiving is for sure the WORST day of the year to drive!
Every car truck and RV is on the roads. Add in the extra 100,000 visiting that don't have a clue where they are going. Turkey day is for sure a keep off the road day around here!
Well I am hoping that if everything is closed, everyone will be at home or wherever they're going and eating too many carbs and passing the f-- out. No telling though, could be twice as bad as normal. I just don't remember what traffic is like around here Thanksgiving day. For sure will not be riding Friday, maybe not the entire weekend even.

These people here are bad enough as it is under ideal weather conditions with nothing special going on.

·
weird member
4,340 Posts
Well, plugs look pretty good. I only cut the front one because I don't have a plug cutter, just the old Dremel. Rear is very clean where I can see, pure white basically, front had a little greying on tip of porcelain, but not a lot. The timing and idle is all gravy. WOT looks good too, I can live with that fire ring. I made sure in the pic of the front plug, I got the side of the porcelain tip that was colored, the other side is clean like the rear is all the way around.

I think just one shim on the needle should do the trick, definitely don't need to go bigger on the main jet, and probably don't need to go a whole notch on the needle. Just a hair below perfection, it's not like she runs poorly at all.

Maybe the intake cleaning alone will do the trick. I'll see how she wants to behave after that. Might do it tomorrow even instead of waiting until Thursday.
Hand Finger Gas Household hardware Nail
Finger Wood Nail Thumb Household hardware
Finger Thumb Nail Nickel Wood

·
weird member
4,340 Posts
Woke up this morning to great news, the salesman at the dealership said the VIN for the El Diablo showed up in their inventory today, so should be here within the next 2 weeks.

And then this today. Just another minute and it will be done with the hot soak and I need to ride it 20-30 minutes. Decided to just do it today. Took a vacuum cap and cut the tip off, then slid it over a length of hose I had for carb overflow line since it (the overflow line) just fit in the screw hole but wasn't tight. Slid the cap on, shaved a taper and jambed it in. Took a little figuring out but got it.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
weird member
4,340 Posts
Looks like an IV drip. Hope it gets well
It did. On my ride now to clear any residual cleaner (instructions say shut it off when the can is empty and let it sit for 30 minutes, then go for a 20 minute ride to clear any residual cleaner). Was even able to get a few pulls in on the back streets and she seems much happier now.

I guess this weekend I will continue on with the 60K service interval while avoiding holiday traffic.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
46,127 Posts
Rode to Tommy's. He sent me a text a few days ago, said he needed some emergency help eating turkey and pies. So I made him a deal. Said I'd help with the turkey and pie eating on the condition he lets me use his garage to wire up my Quad Lock wireless phone charger mount.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
46,127 Posts
Woke up this morning to great news, the salesman at the dealership said the VIN for the El Diablo showed up in their inventory today, so should be here within the next 2 weeks.

And then this today. Just another minute and it will be done with the hot soak and I need to ride it 20-30 minutes. Decided to just do it today. Took a vacuum cap and cut the tip off, then slid it over a length of hose I had for carb overflow line since it (the overflow line) just fit in the screw hole but wasn't tight. Slid the cap on, shaved a taper and jambed it in. Took a little figuring out but got it.
View attachment 819374
Damm boyee. You're gonna have a helluva Christmas! Gonna have to dress up like Santa and ride that red bike on Christmas Day! 😜

·
weird member
4,340 Posts
Finished up the 60K this morning and while I was changing the air filter, decided to scope the valves since I had pics from back in June when I changed the intake valves. The after shots were the best I could do trying to scope from through the carb (the before shots the carb was off so it was easier to get a good angle). I wanted to see what things looked like after a single cleaning. The rear really shows just how well this stuff worked, though the pictures don't do it justice (I was able to see better using two hands on the scope to move it around, but couldn't hit the picture button on the phone). I didn't scope the combustion chambers/pistons either time though.

I might order a few more cans and run another cleaning in 2500 miles.

Front:
Metal Soil Cloud Terrestrial animal Font
Fluid Gas Liquid Metal Aluminium

Rear:
Fluid Cookware and bakeware Gas Kitchen appliance Home appliance
Fluid Gas Nozzle Liquid Metal

13141 - 13160 of 13187 Posts