Harley Davidson Forums banner
13621 - 13640 of 13716 Posts

· Registered
5,544 Posts
Replaced fuel filter in mine, then took it out for a 35 mile ride. Found that my new LED front bulbs are throwing a code. Guess I need to work that out next.
I had them rapid flash but, never throw a code.
Try running the 4 ways again, to see if that will clear it.

· Registered
628 Posts
Since local HD service said there not busy and the weather sucks for 2 weeks I’ll take the front wheel to them to get the AE tire the guy said I could just bring the whole bike in and it will only be $ 30.00 more for

them to do it all. No way they would have a list of things they recommend I should get done plus this is the time I will polish the wheel.

· Registered
2010 CVO Street Glide in Spiced Rum.
199 Posts
I had them rapid flash but, never throw a code.

Try running the 4 ways again, to see if that will clear it.
I have the rapid flash, but it also turned on the security light. I checked codes & one is the turn signal module, so I figured that was causing it. ITS A CVO & already had LED rear lights from factory, but regular bulbs for front signals. Doesn't make much sense but not sure where to go from here. I cleared code, turn signals start normal, then go to rapid flash.

· weird member
2022 El Diablo, 1997 FXSTC
4,557 Posts
I have the rapid flash, but it also turned on the security light. I checked codes & one is the turn signal module, so I figured that was causing it. ITS A CVO & already had LED rear lights from factory, but regular bulbs for front signals. Doesn't make much sense but not sure where to go from here. I cleared code, turn signals start normal, then go to rapid flash.
If it has a BCM/can bus, you have to set the 4-way flashers on for like 2-4 minutes for the system to learn the new load.

I upgraded all four incandescent turn signals to LEDs on the 22 and ran the hazards like that. Instructions with CD stuff said flip the run switch on, turn on hazards flip run switch off (hazards keep flashing). Waited 3 minutes, flipped the run switch back on (because apparently hazards won't turn back off otherwise) and it was fine, never had rapid flash.

I also don't get codes from that. I do get a soft code B2161 historic code (brake lamp output open) occasionally, but that's because of the triple play module converting the rear signals to R/B/T. Supposedly it stops throwing this code if you have them flash the BCM to enable rear turn signals to operate as stop lamps, according to a few people on the net.

EDIT:
Side note, looking for something else, came across a Harley service bulletin that for 2014-later bikes,when swapping to LED turns, the procedure is to turn on the hazards and let them flash 12 times. Apparently the BCM ignores the first two flashes and over the next 10, it learns the new load and should be good to go. So may not even take a full 2-4 minutes of flashing.

And in re-reading my post, I don't know if there's a difference between BCM and canBus, when the change over occurred, or if the procedure is different. I know what a BCM is, that it's a module (body control module), but I have no idea what a canbus is. I'm still learning all the modern stuff.

· Registered
2010 CVO Street Glide in Spiced Rum.
199 Posts
I tried both ways, let 4 ways run for 15 min. It flashed fine until I went to turn signals. It flashed fine for 30 flashes then wwent rapid,then tried the other side which only went 10 then rapid. Guess I'll just put factory bulbs back in..

· old scoot coot
7,317 Posts
i phucked up on my bike today. putting a fuel filter in the 17 limited and dropped the cover retainer in the tank. after draining and pouring out contents. tank was full. yadda yadda i dropped tool on uncovered tank and knocked a chip clear to bare metal. i have a furniture blanket with a hole cut in it for this job but had not put it back on yet. i was going to be careful, right. it's right up on top where it is in plain sight all the time i'm mounted up. after last year's dear strike repair the bike was without blemish. i'm embarrassed and heart broken. thank my father in heaven for kyle the sardonicus87. he's a master at chip repairs and agreed to master the process and try and teach me how to do it also. for those in attendance at reunion in eureka springs this june. the process can be observed beginning on thursday afternoon. we need to watch, vidio and take notes on supplies being used. this guy knows the craft and most of us don't. this is the silver linning of the cloud created by my stupidity. some ying and some yang. :oops: hasta.

· Registered
1,342 Posts
Not checking in till Friday, but doesn't mean can't ride down from Branson if we don't have something going on.........

· old scoot coot
7,317 Posts
Not checking in till Friday, but doesn't mean can't ride down from Branson if we don't have something going on.........
we will wind up well before dark larry. may do another coat friday eve if needed. i will have detailed notes and pics if ya need em for later. this is know how we can all use for sure. even if it's just rock chips on front outer fairing. :)

· Registered
489 Posts
“This training course provides hands-on experience with rare paint restoration techniques. Attendees will get a full appreciation of what types of repairs can be made possible by utilizing only toothpicks and Marlboros. Attendees will leave this course convinced that they will be able to reapply these techniques concisely and efficiently, only to discover months later that they suck at it and should leave it to someone else with mad skilz.”

· old scoot coot
7,317 Posts
“This training course provides hands-on experience with rare paint restoration techniques. Attendees will get a full appreciation of what types of repairs can be made possible by utilizing only toothpicks and Marlboros. Attendees will leave this course convinced that they will be able to reapply these techniques concisely and efficiently, only to discover months later that they suck at it and should leave it to someone else with mad skilz.”
story of my life siriusblue. :oops:

· weird member
2022 El Diablo, 1997 FXSTC
4,557 Posts
Any body could do it though. It just takes a lot of patience and not being heavy-handed. Most people mess up chip repair by trying to rush it.

It'd be a different story if we were talking about painting designs or something, then you need some talent.

· Registered
40 Posts
Got about an hour in mid-day today here in the Northeast. Took a ride to visit with my brother and rode around town. Raining and cold here for two weeks finally had a little dry condition and about 45 degrees today. So needed been a crazy week. Might have a window tomorrow afternoon as well.

ride 1 20 23

· old scoot coot
7,317 Posts
Any body could do it though. It just takes a lot of patience and not being heavy-handed. Most people mess up chip repair by trying to rush it.

It'd be a different story if we were talking about painting designs or something, then you need some talent.
it will be nice for some of us to see it done correctly. for sure i will be takeing notes, pics and vidios. this one is pretty bad as paint chips go. i think we can at least learn enough to do lesser chips on the outer fairing. we all have those from mostly trucks with mud flaps only six inches long. :( something else to look forward to this summer. :p

· old scoot coot
7,317 Posts
cold today high in fourties. i shopped it this morning. i did the fuel filter change on fury today. went smooth, no paint chip disasters today. i also repaired mandies old toy box. it had a missing, broken and lost spindle. i turned a new one to match and installed it. slicked up the rest of it. i built it 50 years ago for my daughter mandie. i had little to no money, tools or furniture fabrication skills back then. i did have some seasoned walnut from a walnut trunk i hauled off from the tree dump a year before. leonard bean sawed it up for me at his homemade mill at his house. dad had an old homemade lathe no one had ever used. i managed to turn some spindles with it. the flat stuff i used a belt sander on. no jointer or planner back then. i used 3/4 marine plywood for the box and covered it with formica, which was new at the time. no router or formica tools then either. i did have a circular saw and jig saw and some hand files. i fabbed a couple of turning tools from old and broken mill files. i was going mainly for rugged. i guess i made it. it's been around for 50 years. now it's going to another generation of little girls. bow's
Wood Rectangle Floor Hardwood Wood stain
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Loom
grandaughters jocelyn and natalie will put a bunch more miles on it dragging it around grandma's house. bow passed last year. my friend since the third grade. badinfluence, john, bought his rebel last year for his daughter. bow will be pleased, i hope. i know i will. those girls are a couple of cutie pies for sure. :) hasta.

· Registered
1,342 Posts
Now, for that chip repair class, I guess no "special" muffins will be involved?

13621 - 13640 of 13716 Posts