Harley Davidson Forums banner

What did you do on or to your bike today? (Part II)

948K views 16K replies 344 participants last post by  zorro 
#1 ·
#5,569 ·
Are those stock wheels on the Road Glide? Look way nice

#5,574 ·
Rode in to work today and Daisy is loving this cooler weather, where as I am not. At least the sun was out and this afternoon supposed to be near 75. That's better. I'm one of those guys that thinks anything below 70 is cold out lol. Yes I will ride in it, and have done so down to 20 here before, but prefer not having to put on so many layers that I resemble the Michelin tire man.

#5,575 ·
Did the Rat Run Sunday, started with breakfast at Shady Jacks and hung out a while, then went to the Loading Dock and the Hog Pit in Grafton, then took the Grafton ferry back to the Missouri side of the Mississippi and went to Longshot's in Portage Des Souix to finish the day out.

#5,576 ·
Rode out to the local dealership, window shopped a little bit and even test rode a Livewire (EV).

#5,580 ·
My gas caps were getting extremely rattley, especially the right one. Ordered some new ones (same as the stock) and put them on today but they didn't come in until after my ride, so I won't be able to not hear them until tomorrow.

I also decided to finally plug up the hole in the muffler from when I had it tuned (they drilled a hole for the AFR sniffer). I tried a 3/8 bolt and that was too small, tried a 7/16 and that was too big, so I searched Google for a 13/32 and that's what a metric 10 bolt is, so at Home Depot today when I was picking up a plug to fix an extension cord, I picked up an M10 cap screw, of which all they had were zinc, and it fit perfect. So tomorrow, I am going to Fastenal to see if I can find one in stainless steel as well as pick up a washer and some muffler patch.

Also, about to finally order that Rivera pro clutch. Anyone used one on an Evo before? What's the clutch pull like and the spring? @gtrman66 you used one before, right?

#5,585 · (Edited)
Today, I'm picking up a new battery for the Destroyer, the current one is a 2016 and it's no longer turning the bike over reliably. I could trickle charge it and maybe get a days racing out of it but last Sunday it was struggling to turn over for pass 3 & 4.

#5,588 ·
Q4Glide - pictures are out there on Facebook. on Longshots page and on the other bars that were meeting spots.

#5,589 ·
back from twister. we had a great time and ride down and back and the ridding was great down there in and around alpine. one day in the big bend national park, about 300miles, all low speeds 30 through 45 park rangers everywhere so we honored the limits. we did a ride up to observatory and beyond thursday and marfa, presidio, terlingua and stude bute on friday. the best meet up ever for texas twister. a good ride and good time was had by doc,lisa, lisa, jimmers, robert, dayton, tim, liz, al, gayle, harvey, nagalot(a lovely lady), fb, brian and tommy! brians bike was developing a nasty noise in starter before leaving. we thought it might be the relay hammering the solonoid in and out found one at a dealer in okc but no go. starter change was three hours so no one had time to fix it. we rode on to ponca city and had lunch at enriques, yum. then only had a hundred miles back to the cabin and the starter was belly up when we got ready to leave there. we think it was the clutch sprag in bendix stripped out. a friend of mine tony came over with his new trailer and rescued us. brian and his bike rode home in and on tony's truck and the next day, yesterday we took bike back to brians dealer in kc. brian treated me to the best lunch i've had in distant memory! brisket burnt ends and a bowl of the best baked beans in the history of baked beans, they were awesome and the burnt ends as well, thanks brian!! so today i'll clean up the truck a bit and start cleaning up bike too. the weather was five star for the whole trip, no usual rain mess to clean up. have a great day y'all. hasta.

#5,593 ·
back from twister. we had a great time and ride down and back and the ridding was great down there in and around alpine. one day in the big bend national park, about 300miles, all low speeds 30 through 45 park rangers everywhere so we honored the limits. we did a ride up to observatory and beyond thursday and marfa, presidio, terlingua and stude bute on friday. the best meet up ever for texas twister. a good ride and good time was had by doc,lisa, lisa, jimmers, robert, dayton, tim, liz, al, gayle, harvey, nagalot(a lovely lady), fb, brian and tommy! brians bike was developing a nasty noise in starter before leaving. we thought it might be the relay hammering the solonoid in and out found one at a dealer in okc but no go. starter change was three hours so no one had time to fix it. we rode on to ponca city and had lunch at enriques, yum. then only had a hundred miles back to the cabin and the starter was belly up when we got ready to leave there. we think it was the clutch sprag in bendix stripped out. a friend of mine tony came over with his new trailer and rescued us. brian and his bike rode home in and on tony's truck and the next day, yesterday we took bike back to brians dealer in kc. brian treated me to the best lunch i've had in distant memory! brisket burnt ends and a bowl of the best baked beans in the history of baked beans, they were awesome and the burnt ends as well, thanks brian!! so today i'll clean up the truck a bit and start cleaning up bike too. the weather was five star for the whole trip, no usual rain mess to clean up. have a great day y'all. hasta.

Texas on the left, Mexico on the right. Just barely able to make out the Grand Creek down in that little patch of green in the middle.

Just shy of 2600 miles on this trip before the starter gave out.

#5,590 ·
Nice ride in this morning. 65 degrees and sun shining and gonna be near 80 this afternoon. This is more like it.

#5,591 ·
New (to me) exhaust is coming in today, V&H stainless Pro Pipe, will be taking off the Screamin Eagle High Flow system. I have seen where the Pro Pipe wakes up the Stage IV a little better than the High Flow, and I really liked the Chrome Pro Pipe I had on the Street Glide.

#5,594 ·
I run a V&H Pro Pipe. I stand by it as a great pipe, and I really like its deep, throaty sound. I don't know that it's the best, but definitely best performance of anything V&H offers. I'm sure a properly tuned SuperMeg can get more, not sure how it compares to a D&D performance 2-1, and I have no idea how it compares head to head with a Thunderheader 2-1 or how it compares to an SE pipe... but you'll definitely not hate it. It's a solid choice.

#5,601 ·
Cleaned up the tank with a flush mount LED gas gauge, fuel cap, and a new speedo.

View attachment 788678
Man I really like the look of that speedo. I really wish HD made that one to fit older bikes. All the aftermarket speedos look like absolute dog shite in comparison to that one. I tried looking for one that was a speedo/tach combo and even looked at regular speedos and they just all look cheap, colors ugly, etc. Not that my speedo is broken or looks bad/needs replacing, but that one looks great. Would love that one instead of the stock one and a bar mounted tach.

#5,597 ·
jack, tony and i did a day trip to joplin today for lunch. 179 miles. a perfect day 86 coming back, 70 degrees going. we went to undercliff yum. stopped at all aboard in reddings mill on the way back for home made ice cream, butter pecan. again yum. great wx, food, ice cream, ride and a good time was had by tony, jack and tommy. hasta.

#5,607 ·
Destroyer: Replacement radiator drain plug came in this afternoon, got the old one out and new one installed with a touch of never seize to help with future R&R. Turned the engine over until oil pressure light went out, fueled and fired the engine, running good, got her up to temp to heat cycle the new oil, and circulate the coolant making sure air is purged from the system as it cools down it should draw in additional coolant from the overflow/reserve tank. Possible T&T racing on Sunday.

Street Glide, got another bath & wax job today, preparing for an introduction meet and greet ride with a small LE-MC Saturday!!

One of their members live locally while the others live north and west of Boston, sounds like a good small tightknit group of active duty LEO's who are all former LE in their prior military lives. They attend support rides for returning deceased military, law enforcement and firemen and their families during funerals and other positive social activities.

This will be a social ride for members only as the good riding season is drawing to a close, honored to be invited along to enjoy the ride, get to know the guys, if all goes well, possibly begin the formal hang-around, prospect and membership routines.

#5,609 ·
Just got back from our annual fall ride in the north GA, west NC and east TN mountains. Leaves were starting and it was PERFECT weather (first time in 5 years) 70's sunny EVERY day!
Lost our first riding day due to a mechanical. Last Sunday the bike starting vibrating about 250 miles into the 300 mile trip going up from Savannah. I took it to Frazier HD in Buford GA Monday morning and they were awesome. I got the Master Tech (by luck?) and he dropped everything and started to work on my bike because we were on a road trip and he wanted us to be able to ride! He asked a ton of questions about the bikes history, where I fueled etc, rode it and got with ESP and they approved new motor mounts, and the new upgraded compensator. He did all that work the same day. Rode it back to the B&B that afternoon. WOW. if you need help and are in that area, Frazier HD is Family and they still have pride in their work and the HD product. While I waited for the bike I hit the sale table (of course) and my $50 deductible visit turned into a $1000 stop between my wife buying clothes for our grandkids and me finding a set of V&H High Output pipes. Soooooooooo they hung my new pipes too and out the door we went. Despite loosing a day on each end (we came home early to beat the weather, the B&B was on a dirt road) and one day my wife wasn't up for riding we still managed 1300 miles so 700 of it was in the mountains. Beat the weather home Friday and spent 4 hours last night and this morning cleaning the bike. The new pipes tips are a pain in the a$$ to clean compared to my old ones, oh well. Back to work Monday:(

Attachments

#5,611 ·
I can finally add something to this thread, not much though... I found an old back pack that was a "employee appreciation" gift from years ago. I finally found a use for. Rode her Sporty around town on my errands today! I can't get over how light and small that 1200 Custom feels. 😲 I gotta be careful riding it, as i tend to toss is around quite a bit. Sure is a fun town bike! Todays weather just screamed "GO RIDE!" It was a perfect 70, Its been a long wait to get the mercury under that century mark!

#5,612 ·
I can finally add something to this thread, not much though... I found an old back pack that was a "employee appreciation" gift from years ago. I finally found a use for. Rode her Sporty around town on my errands today! I can't get over how light and small that 1200 Custom feels. [emoji44] I gotta be careful riding it, as i tend to toss is around quite a bit. Sure is a fun town bike! Todays weather just screamed "GO RIDE!" It was a perfect 70, Its been a long wait to get the mercury under that century mark!
I love taking my wife’s 48 special around the town. People tend to underestimate those 1200’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5,614 ·
Introduction ride and meet & greet went very well, hit some nice twisty country roads between northern Mass and Southern NH, found the BBQ place in Londonderry NH, tight knit suicide style riding formation, fit in very well with the others, had some good food and initial conversation with 4 members. Rode back to the club house, near the kick off point of todays ride, sat and talked in more detail about the club in the privacy of their own turf, as well the unique situation of being an LE-MC in a sea of social and riding clubs & 1% MC's.

210 miles added to the clock and the day is done, looking forward to the October club meeting in a couple weeks, I'll meet 2 additional members and start the membership process. It will be fun riding with these guys, joining a small brotherhood of serious riders (not bar hoppers) and working through the prospect phase.