Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry it if this has been asked, I'm a bit upset right now. Bike only has 25K on it, front tensioner is shot, can't get a good eye with my mirror on the rear one, but if the front is shot, the rear has to be soon to follow... What a way to wreck a Sunday.

I have to figure out a game plan on this, I'd hate to reassemble everything just to have someone else tear it down.....Damn.

Rant over. Thanks.

Its an 03 RK CVO with the 103. Any info would be much appreciated.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,132 Posts
It's in the service manual, now go to the new members section and do a proper into new guy!

Sorry I couldn't resist

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
710 Posts
I went with zippers cam chain tensioners and replaced cover gasket,cam plate O rings,cam chains, cam bearings and adjustable push rods if you don't plan on taking the rocker box covers off.I also did cams while I was there but not necessary.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's in the service manual, now go to the new members section and do a proper into new guy!

Sorry I couldn't resist
Thanks Garth, I needed a grin.

Instead of buying the handy dandy, one time cam tensioner tool, with pins, can I use a couple of nails, to hold the shoes back? A pair of pliers seems to work just fine to back the front one off.

Looks like ya mark everything six ways, just in case, chain and sprockets then remove the plate. Once I pull the plate, do I have any other surprises?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with zippers cam chain tensioners and replaced cover gasket,cam plate O rings,cam chains, cam bearings and adjustable push rods if you don't plan on taking the rocker box covers off.I also did cams while I was there but not necessary.

Thanks, now I have to revisit the old, while I'm in there...lol. I just want to pull the plate and replace tensioners.. where did you get them?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,132 Posts
Yes you can do as you state with out the tool... you just need to be careful not to let them snap back onto chain as it could damage your new tensioner.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,132 Posts
But they should not be pinned when trying to remove them if I recall correctly...

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
The issue is pulling the cam plate to get to the rear one if it needs replaced , that means you have to relieve the valve spring pressure off the cams to remove it.

This is a great video that shows replacing cams on the new style hyd cam plate , much of which applies to the orig style. The spring tensioner cam plate need's to have the cams pressed out. Also if your in this far do yourself a favor replace your inner cam bearings with Torrington Bearings :thumbsup

I used a small dental mirror to inspect my rear one , just lifted it off the chain and used an Allen wrench to hold it in place.

Attachments

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The issue is pulling the cam plate to get to the rear one if it needs replaced , that means you have to relieve the valve spring pressure off the cams to remove it.

This is a great video that shows replacing cams on the new style hyd cam plate , much of which applies to the orig style. The spring tensioner cam plate need's to have the cams pressed out. Also if your in this far do yourself a favor replace your inner cam bearings with Torrington Bearings :thumbsup

Cam Replacement on a Harley Davidson Twin Cam, including Pushrod Removal • J&P Cycles - YouTube

I used a small dental mirror to inspect my rear one , just lifted it off the chain and used an Allen wrench to hold it in place.

Or you can just gently pull the plate off, watch part of your oil pump, and all four of your lifters drop into the casing...

Well, I'm a bit discouraged, I'll find a way to get her done, looks like there's a lot of research headed my way. Bad news is I got a project, and while I'm there, I can now see why its time for a higher volume oil pump and a cam change... hell I'm looking right at em. Rear tensioner is worse than the front, there is no way they'd make it another 25K, so it did have to be done.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Or you can just gently pull the plate off, watch part of your oil pump, and all four of your lifters drop into the casing...

Well, I'm a bit discouraged, I'll find a way to get her done, looks like there's a lot of research headed my way. Bad news is I got a project, and while I'm there, I can now see why its time for a higher volume oil pump and a cam change... hell I'm looking right at em. Rear tensioner is worse than the front, there is no way they'd make it another 25K, so it did have to be done.
Do you have a grand to spend, or just the 150 bucks ?????

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Good excuse to go 117ci Bruce. :)

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have a grand to spend, or just the 150 bucks ?????
Thanks to Don's text and this quote, I've been thinking about it. got a grand +, just need to postpone that paint work which is a want not a need. While its apart, I might need a set of cams and high flow oil pump. I know very little about this stuff, have worked on cars so I do like to wrench. I don't want to drop my gas mileage a great deal, I'll probably go with chain driven cams. Other than that I've got some thinking and research to do... wouldn't mind waking up that 103 a bit.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts

You could pull the top end off and remove the push rods vs cutting them out , quite a bit of extra labor to do , the main reason many go with the adjustable push rods , either way you won't be able to put it back together with out doing one or the other.

The plus side is doing it yourself you save lot's of money in labor and satisfaction of doing so. You can rent the special tools on ebay. Defiantly upgrade the inner cam bearings if your pulling the plate , there not expensive and have caused many failures on there own.

I have yet to see a engine builder recommend a new pump for a non-racing application. I believe that was mainly for the hyd tensioners , save the money ( $400 ) for some thing like adj push rods or cams.

Give Scott @ Hillside Cycles a call , he can give you some options and advice.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Thanks to Don's text and this quote, I've been thinking about it. got a grand +, just need to postpone that paint work which is a want not a need. While its apart, I might need a set of cams and high flow oil pump. I know very little about this stuff, have worked on cars so I do like to wrench. I don't want to drop my gas mileage a great deal, I'll probably go with chain driven cams. Other than that I've got some thinking and research to do... wouldn't mind waking up that 103 a bit.
Thats the spirit , lets give her more punch , the right cams will make your 103 pull MUCH harder from 2500 RPM - 4500RPM, you can do a minor mod to your pump , use the cyco tensioner shoes and still be well under a grand doing it yourself :thumbsup

·
Banned
71 Posts
If you have the Grand, I'd go with the Hybrid kit . It has the new style tensioners and oil pump .

What I did to mine was.

25284-11 Hybrid kit

cam service kit

set of lifters

SE 203 cams

New cam bearings
Spacer kit is a waste, IF you need a spacer, buy ONE from an Indie .
Gear kit is a waste. Use Loctite 241 on your bolts .
You can pull cam bearings with a blind hole bearing puller from AutoZone...free . Replace bearings using old cam as a driver .

Youtube has loads of vids that will walk you through the whole thing.

A service Manual and the parts book are a MUST have items. :thumbsup

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. I'm gonna do it right. I've contacted a few people, I'll make some more phone calls on top of what is said here. Right now I'm thinking hydraulic tensioners with a better oil pump. Diggin into what set of cams to go with.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm gonna do it right. I've contacted a few people, I'll make some more phone calls on top of what is said here. Right now I'm thinking hydraulic tensioners with a better oil pump. Diggin into what set of cams to go with.
Well even though this got quite a bit deeper than you anticipated you did avoid a catastrophic failure, maybe say en route to Coll III next summer , just think how much that would have sucked , much better in the winter in your garage :)

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well even though this got quite a bit deeper than you anticipated you did avoid a catastrophic failure, maybe say en route to Coll III next summer , just think how much that would have sucked , much better in the winter in your garage :)
You speak the truth. I keep telling myself, look at what could have happened. I like to take lots of long trips, no doubt she'd have grenaded on one of em. That bike always picks the perfect time to tell me something needs attention. In the garage.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
You speak the truth. I keep telling myself, look at what could have happened. I like to take lots of long trips, no doubt she'd have grenaded on one of em. That bike always picks the perfect time to tell me something needs attention. In the garage.
They usually will -- when you ask them the right questions at the right time.

Glad you caught it, Bruce.

--

1 - 20 of 58 Posts