Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got out for my 2nd ride of the year Saturday. About an hour into it, I had just made a right turn onto a 2 lane road. There was a line of traffic going the opposite way backed up behind a stalled vehicle with a trailer.

A guy on a Harley pulls out around him and passes him. This is where we passed each other not fast yet but both are accelerating. He either ran over a piece of what had stranded the vehicle or he lost his primary cover either way a shiny chunk of metal comes arcing at me and I had no time to do much, maybe I swerved I just concentrated on that chunk flying through the air at me.

It hit my engine guard and bounced off of my lower leg. After an eternity of thought processes I stopped and looked.

Not a scratch, no damage and my leg wasn't really hurt. But I couldn't have planned it better. If I was going slower it would have hit my fender or front wheel or engine. If I were going faster it would have hit me in the face or tank or rear fender.

If I had gone much slower it wouldn't have hit me at all, but I was in the perfect place to be if it had to hit me and I never could have done the math to make it hit so perfectly without doing any damage at all.

SO . . . . what does it mean? Was I protected from above or are they trying to tell me to give it up? Or am I incredibly lucky? Maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket.

I'm sure glad it wasn't one of the other possible outcomes.

Thought I would tell my story. Have a beer everyone :)

Joe

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Odd things happen sometimes. I wouldn't look at it as an omen for you to stop riding. It seems that trying to analyze the scenario would be a waste of time because you did nothing to create or amplify the situation. Just acknowledge that it was just a freak close call, change your shorts, drink a stiff beverage, and continue with your life. Very glad that it was a good outcome. You get to ride another day!

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
I almost had a head on yesterday with vulture swooping in to be the first one on a dead critter on the road. Just be happy it missed you. Say thank God for that favor.

·
Try'n to behave
5,956 Posts
Sounds like just a freak occurrence, and you were lucky. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good; although it sound like you did good by not letting it rattle you at the time of occurrence.

Shake it off and ride on!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sounds like just a freak occurrence, and you were lucky. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good; although it sound like you did good by not letting it rattle you at the time of occurrence.

Shake it off and ride on!
There has been days by the time I ride a mile or two to get out of town I'll have couple things that happen thats makes me wonder if I should turn around and ride some other time.

I've always pulled through and made it to the Highway and luckly had a great ride.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your posts. Good points.

AND YES I AM FREAKING GRATEFUL TO THE POWERS THAT BE for that outcome. :)

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Call it whatever you want, but when things like that happen to me I always make it a point to whisper a prayer of thanks to the Father Above.

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts