Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend offered to let me use his garage for repairs while I live in this cheap condo. I want to get some goodies to make life easier and was wondering where to start ; should I get a wheel chock to hold the bike upright or a lift? The reason I was thinking of the chock was that allows easy access under it for fluids but I wouldn't be able to pull tires without a lift.

Add your 2 cents. I've only used the rear wheel stands on sport bikes and a makeshift wooden center stand for my jap cruiser.

·
Banned
71 Posts
My friend offered to let me use his garage for repairs while I live in this cheap condo. I want to get some goodies to make life easier and was wondering where to start ; should I get a wheel chock to hold the bike upright or a lift? The reason I was thinking of the chock was that allows easy access under it for fluids but I wouldn't be able to pull tires without a lift.

Add your 2 cents. I've only used the rear wheel stands on sport bikes and a makeshift wooden center stand for my jap cruiser.
Get a jack first. There is a thread on here about them. :)

:coffee:

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Definitely = LIFT!

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Get the lift. And I assume you mean the lift that picks the bike up and costs $100-200.

A table lift still needs a scissors Jack to lift the bike to remove wheels.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes lift that removes weight from the wheels. My other (read, ghetto) option is to use my engine hoist. I did this only once to change rear linkages on a ninja.

So since Yall say lift, do you put the bike in the lift during oil change or just use a shallow oil pan? Is there any time I would need something other than the lift?

BTW I like the look of that Harbor freight one.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,673 Posts
Get the Lift you can do more repairs with a lift then a wheel chock

I do oil change's on the lift or on the ground depending on what other service I might do at that time

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Harbor Freight lift works really well. The lift is great for maintance and for cleaning. I suggest that you anchor your bike with some rachet straps to be secure when elevated.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Definitely secure it to the lift! If you check around in most of the bike mags, you can find a coupon to save some bucks.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,761 Posts
Lift.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Get a lift. I use 2 or 3 big tie-wraps to secure the bike once it's lifted - they don't get in the way and are useful to have lying around anyway.
Most oil levels seem to be checked with the bike on the jiffy-stand so I don't use the lift for draining. Firstly the chaincase and engine drain plugs are lowest when the bike's on the jiffy-stand and secondly I like to refill immediately; that way I don't forget!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lift 20, chock 0. I'll get a lower drain pan too, I had to put a wood block under my Jiffy stand to get my drain pan in there.

OK name the next must have item to buy! I've got tools and a hoist but I've had very limited wrench time on bikes. I can pull a small Block Chevy motor with my eyes closed

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
543 Posts
+1For the service manual, and parts book.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
You don't have to get either if the bitch knows what's good for her.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts