Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a Twin Cam 96 or any TC for that matter. On a hot day in the 90's on the highway, what would you expect the oil temp to get to? I have a TC 96 and it is getting up to 250. Is that too hot? I have heard people complaining about them running hot and they also ping when under load too.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That sounds about normal from what I have experienced in 90+ heat out on the highway, roundish 250. It seems real hot I know, but the way these bikes have been engineered, the oil does the work and heat retention so the motor lasts longer (as explained by HDE's Technical Director a few years back when I had the same question)

If you ride in those temps more often than not, installing an oil cooler would be a good idea - I have them on all my bikes.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Running at 250° is acceptable and you will find that sitting in traffic causes it to go to 280° or so. As soon as you get moving it will drop back to 250°.

As stated above, that is the way they are engineered. And yes an oil cooler will help. Here, we ride in temps of 100° + all the time come July through the first part of September.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm seeing oil temps of 250 with air temps in low 80s. It'll be geting a lot hotter here soon. Oil cooler on the way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So how big of a PITA is installing an oil cooler? I haven't looked yet but how much do they cost?

I don't have a temp gauge on my scoot, I'm afraid if I knew how hot it ran I'd be scared to ride it in the summer. Like Dinero said it regularly gets over a 100 + in the great Nation State of Texas.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Oil coolers aren't too tuff to install. I just ordereedd the new Jagg from an online aftermarket dealer. Under $300 shipped for a 10 row lowmount.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I have always planned on putting an oil cooler on, just haven't gotten to it yet. I guess the chrome is more important.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Never mind the relatively small PITA of installation - seriously, your motor will love you, your oil will love you, your bike will love you, and mostly - you will have peace of mind....that is until the first oil leak!!!!!
Kidding aside, it is a very worthwhile investment, not too much hassle to install, depending on which you choose. HD make a very nice replacement oil filter mount (in Chrome) with oil cooler spiggots. Check it out.
The first generation black anodized aluminium ones were very leak prone.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Installed Jagg's new 10 row lowmount yesterday.
Previous oil temp was 250+ in low 80 temps.
Now 225 in 93 degree air temp. Same ride.
07 Ultra, stage 1 w/ PC111.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts