Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought we had a thread about this before but I can't find it.
Up until last evening, the strangest thing I had encountered in the road was about 100 meters of liquefied manure which had just been spilled. Slippery as oil and it stunk like hell.
I am very vocal about riding an night down here. Last night, I broke one of my personal rules. I got caught up in a meeting and ended up about 60 miles from home in the dark. But, it was a well known route and I have driven it at least three times in the past week so I wasn't too concerned.
I was riding third (last) in the group. About half the way home, we came across a dead body lying in the road. It was cut in half, laying in the left had lane.
This was on a four lane divided highway. (unlit) The local cops had just arrived on the scene and were stopped on the right side of the highway.
There was a concrete barrier separating the opposing lanes of traffic. No lighting, no painted lines, a typical POS mexican highway.
The local police were trying get thru the traffic to cross over to collect the pieces.
We didn't know this. It is common for the local police to drive around with their lights flashing so paid little attention to them.
We were riding along in the left lane and started to go around about 5 vehicles in the right lane.I was riding third. The first rider managed to avoid the first half of the body and ran over the second half.
Number two missed both pieces.
I saw the first and got around it and was surprised by the second piece and just managed to avoid it. All the time thinking it was an dead animal.
Thankfully, nobody went down.
Headed out to buy the local paper and see if there is a story about it.
PS: Don't ride at night. At least in Mexico anyway.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I was on my way home from the post office, and wasn't supposed to be driving, cause i had a patch on one eye, from an injury. As I was tooling down the road, I saw something up in the distant, slowly moving across the road.

The closer I got, I saw it was a craftsman riding mower.....

The closer I got, I saw it was a craftsman riding mower, with an old man being drug next to it, (on the side I couldn't see) by his pants, along the street.

Here, he was mowing a hill in front of his house and it flipped over, landed back on its wheels, catching his pants, and taking him for a ride.............

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Vettster. You win.

Dave, you should have stopped and yelled at the old geezer for blocking the road. :D

So far nothing out of the ordinary. I did almost put my head up a buzzard's azz once. He took off from a fresh roadkill dinner. Got about head high and leveled off. I had to duck and swerve a bit to miss him. I don't know who's eye's would have been bigger, his or mine if I had of hit him.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Had a dining room table almost hit me one time. 'Bout took my head off and blew up on the side of the road just behind me.
Just missing a dead body is way up there on the weird chit scale...

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
In the cage I passed a dead body. His cheating wife and her boyfriend plotted and made good with a plan to run him down while out for his morning jog. They covered him with a few green lawn bags. I did not know it was a body until hearing about it on the news later.:eek:

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I was waiting to make a right onto a sorta main road early in the morning and had to wait for a VW Beetle that came racing by. I made the right behind her and just ahead was a pretty sharp curve in the road. The Beetle going too fast and not having the best suspension in the world flipped over and landed on it's rounded roof bobbing around on the road. Horrified I pulled up and ran to the car to help the person.

I was greeted by a woman about 25 years old cursing and seemingly unhurt climbing out. I spotted her pocketbook on the road and picked it up and handed it to her. Without missing a beat she just stormed away down the road in the same direction she was driving, leaving me standing there. I hopped on the bike and caught up to her and she told me in no uncertain terms that she didnt want any help so I rode off.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
Tail board off a tipper truck, fortunately I was in a car. Shortly to be a wrecked car about two feet shorter

·
Registered
340 Posts
What is the strangest thing I have seen on the road?
Well, my reflection every time I look in one of the rear view mirrors.:ride

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
What is the strangest thing I have seen on the road?
Well, my reflection every time I look in one of the rear view mirrors.:ride
I've scared myself a time or two, also.

All I can add at the minute is the boxsprings and mattress coming at me at about 70mph or so.

I still think Vettster wins.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
A Volkswagon Beetle parked crossways on top of a guardrail.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Cris sake I'm not even gonna try.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Vettster. You win.

Dave, you should have stopped and yelled at the old geezer for blocking the road. :D

So far nothing out of the ordinary. I did almost put my head up a buzzard's azz once. He took off from a fresh roadkill dinner. Got about head high and leveled off. I had to duck and swerve a bit to miss him. I don't know who's eye's would have been bigger, his or mine if I had of hit him.

I've got the same story. Cruising along 'bout 60...five or six of these big bastards go flying off...the last right toward me at eye level! I nearly crapped my pants! Near miss...but still a miss regardless.
Another day... I'm riding back home, I see some barn swallows (we've got a bunch of these 'round the house) flying low near the road. All of a sudden, I realize that one of them is flying right in front of me about ten miles an hour slower. Yep...I hit it. I was riding without my windshield that day. It stuck to my chest.

Vettster still has us all beat. Although I did have the occasion to come across a dead body hanging in a tree beside the road. Been there about 3-4 weeks, just far enough off the road that no one saw it. A power crew was doing some line work and saw it from above. Pretty freakin' nasty.
JD

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Could say a bookshelf I had to swerve around, but most unusual was a huge, white, dog like creature on I-70 dead against the concrete median between the lanes. Was riding with six other riders and at the next stop I asked, "Anyone see that HUGE animal dead against the median?". We couldn't figure out what it was but we're talking BIG. Learned in the paper the next day it was a wolf. The collar on it revealed it had come from a Yellowstone pack and had wandered south 800 miles or so "looking for love". It had made it all the way to the middle of Colorado but didn't make it across I-70. Sad, but what an impressive animal.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Could say a bookshelf I had to swerve around, but most unusual was a huge, white, dog like creature on I-70 dead against the concrete median between the lanes. Was riding with six other riders and at the next stop I asked, "Anyone see that HUGE animal dead against the median?". We couldn't figure out what it was but we're talking BIG. Learned in the paper the next day it was a wolf. The collar on it revealed it had come from a Yellowstone pack and had wandered south 800 miles or so "looking for love". It had made it all the way to the middle of Colorado but didn't make it across I-70. Sad, but what an impressive animal.
I hit one of them critters when plowing snow,felt it in the truck,Everyone told Me I was nuts{I already knew that}.When the snow melted there it was a huge Wolf.That was in 79 long before they reintroduced them into the mountains and it was in the eastern part of the state.
I always wondered where that critter come in from.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
near miss on the large birds for me too... was riding with 3 other guys that day, just after crossing a river bridge, a bald eagle came flaying across the road, first rider ducked fast, I was second rider, ducked even faster.
them SOBs are pretty, but they are also huge

·
Out Riding
477 Posts
One time on highway 91 in California something came up off the road and hit me in the chest. When I went back to see what it was, it turned out to be a Buck hunting knife. I still have the knife and still thankful it didn't hit me blade first.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Strangest thing? Hm... gonna have to think about that.

Coming back from Sturgis, saw the remains of a camper that had gone 'off roading' - the only thing that remained intact was the commode! Everything else looked like it had literally exploded.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just read the paper and found out what happened.....

A guy got hit in the highway and the cars just kept passing over him.
The highway had concrete barriers separating the opposing lines of traffic. there was just no place to swerve to avoid it. The police could not stop the traffic.
The remains were spread over 70 meters of highway.
The driver fled the scene. (SOB) Had to abandon his pickup because the fan was pushed thru the radiator.
This is common on accidents down here. In fact, more often than not the drivers at fault flee from the scene of the accident.
There are two color photos in this mornings local paper.
One of the pickup and another of the smear on the road.
No more riding at night for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts