Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So apparently people are removing the chrome from their tank emblems, revealing the copper or brass or whatever it is, while preserving the lettering and such. It is "a thing" with people customizing bikes. What I want to know is, what is it "called?" It should have some kind of identifier.

I attached a photo as an example. Not sure if this is how I show a picture, because the pic icon asks for a link.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more

I have a few others. I think one or 2 might be unmodified, but I can't try and sell these without knowing what to call them, or what the removal process is. It is clearly not an easy process given the lack of damage to the colors.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,789 Posts
Chrome plating starts with a base plate of copper then nickle.
Either they stripped the chrome and nickle layers off , or added a layer of nickle then copper on top of the chrome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...Why? These are OEM emblems, modified. The individuals I got them from claimed it to be chrome removal with a very precision process, and they sell upwards of $200 a pair at custom shops retail. I am seeing them elsewhere, yet no one knows anything about it. Weird.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Why?? Just to be different, or start a new trend. It is getting harder and harder to do something not yet thought of.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Copper tarnishes, therefore requiring constant maintenance. I would guess the chrome is removed with an electrolysis process.

·
Wayward Son
23,216 Posts
Copper tarnishes, therefore requiring constant maintenance. I would guess the chrome is removed with an electrolysis process.
Patina.
Some like the look. :dunno

1 - 12 of 12 Posts