Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I screwed up and undid this plug. Little bit of oil drained out I have had one mechanic tell me to thread tape it and put it back, no worries. I have had one mechanic tell me that it is tapered in the cast block and if not put back perfectly can causes the case to crack?

2014 SGS

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
Okay I screwed up and undid this plug. Little bit of oil drained out I have had one mechanic tell me to thread tape it and put it back, no worries. I have had one mechanic tell me that it is tapered in the cast block and if not put back perfectly can causes the case to crack?

2014 SGS
Tighten no deeper than flush with case and you'll be good to go . :thumbsup

·
Registered
11,986 Posts
Had oil weeping at bottom plug and the 2 next to oil filter. Replaced all with new ones from HD, comes with sealant on threads. Ran them in till snug. Its a pipe thread plug, tapered.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Had oil weeping at bottom plug and the 2 next to oil filter. Replaced all with new ones from HD, comes with sealant on threads. Ran them in till snug. Its a pipe thread plug, tapered.
Try Rectorseal #5 ....... best thing sense sliced bread . :thumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is rectorseal and where do you get it? Do I need a thread sealer or is a generous dose of Loctite adequate?

·
Registered
11,986 Posts
What is rectorseal and where do you get it? Do I need a thread sealer or is a generous dose of Loctite adequate?
Any good hardware store/pipe supply. Loctite will prevent thing's from coming loose, but its not a thread sealant.

What ever HD puts on those plugs at factory appears to be a combo sealant and a Loctite of some kind. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone I think I'll just get a new plug. Cisco, did you think of that by yourself or did your mommy tell you?

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
I have to side with Cisco on this one. You state your bike is a 2014 so why you were doing anything to it is beyond me with it being under warranty. Secondly, a manual is your best friend no matter what and obviously you aren't familiar with doing any kind of maintenance on your bike so, in truth, you can only blame yourself when you screw something up and someone points it out to you. Third, it's bad forum etiquette to just come on here and ask a question right from the get go and it tends to irritate most of the people on here. Usually the polite thing to do is to introduce yourself first so we know you aren't going to be a one hit wonder on the forum like so many before you.

Now, on to the question. Lock tite will be fine and just make sure you put it back in straight and snug. There is always the opportunity to crack cases no matter what so just be careful and don't over do it. And we hope to see you back on the forum as a contributing member. Cheers

-Rohan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to side with Cisco on this one. You state your bike is a 2014 so why you were doing anything to it is beyond me with it being under warranty. Secondly, a manual is your best friend no matter what and obviously you aren't familiar with doing any kind of maintenance on your bike so, in truth, you can only blame yourself when you screw something up and someone points it out to you. Third, it's bad forum etiquette to just come on here and ask a question right from the get go and it tends to irritate most of the people on here. Usually the polite thing to do is to introduce yourself first so we know you aren't going to be a one hit wonder on the forum like so many before you.

Now, on to the question. Lock tite will be fine and just make sure you put it back in straight and snug. There is always the opportunity to crack cases no matter what so just be careful and don't over do it. And we hope to see you back on the forum as a contributing member. Cheers

-Rohan
Rohan, you are obviously entitled to your opinions, and I will concede on the etiquette however I'm in the car on my phone attempting to address my problem.

My first statement of "I screwed up" means that I didn't do something properly and a such I am aware that I should have educated myself.

In my opinion proper form etiquette would be to help with the question while giving your opinion as you did not tell me what I should have done.

As for warranty, I am leaving on a bike trip and needed my oil changed before I left I was only servicing the engine oil not the primary or trans for this trip and as such looking under there thought it was obvious which it wasn't.

I have ridden bikes my whole life which is more than 40 years but this is my first Harley so lesson learned.

To introductions, Hi, my name is Ian, I live in Lexington KY and I'm new to this forum although I belong to several other of the common ones. This one was accessible by an app in my time of need and appears will be good information.

I do appreciate all the help for responses

Attachments

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Nice bike!

·
Registered
11,986 Posts
Rectorseal 5 is a thread sealer/locker . You can find it at Lowes or any plumbing supply store .
I already told him that :)

·
Super Moderator
12,740 Posts
We tend to ruffle the feathers of newbies every now and then, but you have to understand the number of "one and done" posters we get. This is a real community unlike any other I have seen on the net. read the forum and get to know us. Don't be thin skinned and you'll do fine around her. Have a good trip on the new bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No thin skin or troll, just needed ASAP help while in the cage. Which I got from here! Just given a little back.

Thanks dmw.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
We tend to ruffle the feathers of newbies every now and then, but you have to understand the number of "one and done" posters we get. This is a real community unlike any other I have seen on the net. read the forum and get to know us. Don't be thin skinned and you'll do fine around her. Have a good trip on the new bike.

^^^ This. You can't have thin skin and remain here for long. There are a ton of good folks and lots of good information to be found here. This forum is like no other out there. A good number of folks here have ridden across the United State (and across international boundaries) a couple of times just to go on a ride, share a beer, (Oxford comma use is on purpose) and insult each other in person. Be prepared to be poked and prodded along the way in this group and give as you have gotten, all in a good natured manner, and you'll be just fine.

His comment about the manual is no different that what the IT help desk first says, "RTFM"... It is your best friend. That being said, just pay attention to how you thread the plug and go easy and whatever you do, do NOT over tighten.

Remember, you don't have to be crazy to make it here, but it helps.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts