21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Or the government version: If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
Honestly, that's my job! Tear apart operational aircraft, to lurk around for anything that "might become a problem later"!
Break half the chit in the process...Then break more chit, attempting to put it all back together.

🐵🔧 Thank you America for paying your taxes!

Geez @Wiredog thank for pointing that out for me... Makes me even more motivated to go to work tomorrow... :p:LOL::ROFLMAO::oops:

Reactions: JLR and Wiredog

·
Retired citizen
26,071 Posts
Looking at the OP's bike pic it appears the yellow and white wires are tucked behind a module of sorts that's tucked behind the main wire harness that I don't remember seeing before. Looking at the other posted pics don't show that module. Are the wires plugged into that module ?

·
Registered
2007 Road King Classic
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Looking at the OP's bike pic it appears the yellow and white wires are tucked behind a module of sorts that's tucked behind the main wire harness that I don't remember seeing before. Looking at the other posted pics don't show that module. Are the wires plugged into that module ?
I thought the module was a replacement for a bad switch but now I'm not so sure. I believe the two wires with plugs that went to the spade terminals are orange and both are still there.. (just unplugged) The yellow and white wires go into the module behind the main harness and I ASSumed it replaced the bad switch.
Now I'm not sure what the module does but I'm pretty sure MotoJockey nailed the purpose of the switch and all it did was kill the cruise control with forward throttle. I don't want or need that option and everything else works.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Wonder if that module is like for a garage door opener or something? Whatever it is, the FCC is interested in it so there's some radio frequency stuff going on I think.

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,160 Posts
Honestly, that's my job! Tear apart operational aircraft, to lurk around for anything that "might become a problem later"!
Break half the chit in the process...Then break more chit, attempting to put it all back together.

Geez @Wiredog thank for pointing that out for me... Makes me even more motivated to go to work tomorrow... :p:LOL::ROFLMAO::oops:
Sounds like what I used to do in the Air Force. Do you do PDM?

• Haha
Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
2007 Road King Classic
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Wonder if that module is like for a garage door opener or something? Whatever it is, the FCC is interested in it so there's some radio frequency stuff going on I think.
Right again! I pulled the module out to take a pic and found model # HD838T. Google says it's a garage door opener. I had no clue what it was. Now if I can just find a remote for it.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Electric blue Ac adapter

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic instrument Microcontroller

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,160 Posts
  • Haha

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,160 Posts

Sounds like what I used to do in the Air Force. Do you do PDM?
PDM = Periodic Depot Maintenance

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
PDM = Periodic Depot Maintenance

I Apologize, I was thinking the slang term of PDM... Purty Dumb Maint... Sorry!

My Grandfather was tool and die man for Hill Field (Now AFB) was Army back in WW2.

Yep, The Navy terms are different but, yes we are Depot Maintenance. Back when I was Active Duty it was called NARF for Naval Air Rework Facility. Apparently some Admiral didn't like the idea that we had to "Rework" all the active duty maintenance. So we were renamed FRC for Fleet Readiness Center. Commonly called NADEP for Naval Air Depot.
Our parent command is FRCSW, NAS Coronado Island. I work at USMCAS Camp Pendleton. H1 product line.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,160 Posts
I did what was called Phase Dock. IIRC Depot Maintenance was every 3000 hours, Phase Dock was 1000 hours, IIRC.
Then during Gulf War, we did what was termed an 'Abbreviated Phase Dock' in theater. First time that was ever done, instead of taking planes out of combat for inspections.

·
Registered
2007 Road King Classic
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,160 Posts
Thanks but after thinking about it.. I have a gate not a garage door to open and I don't think this transmitter will work as a gate opener so I'll be taking this thing off the bike and keep using my current opener. If anyone can use it, I'll send it to ya for the cost if postage.
Either way, you'd need the receiver part that goes with that transmitter. That part you have would be good for someone that has a second bike that needs just the transmitter part that you have.

Reactions: slingshot383

·
Registered
2007 Road King Classic
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm tech challenged. I don't understand how it works if you have both the transmitter and receiver on the bike. I would think the garage door would be the receiver. No matter.. I don't need it so it's free to anyone who can use it.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I did what was called Phase Dock. IIRC Depot Maintenance was every 3000 hours, Phase Dock was 1000 hours, IIRC.
Then during Gulf War, we did what was termed an 'Abbreviated Phase Dock' in theater. First time that was ever done, instead of taking planes out of combat for inspections.
We just got the funding to include Phase Maint. That just added a whole lot of PIA to the plate. It makes sense to run the phase with the 2 year Depot program. Since we already have everything torn down to parade rest. But, you would think the planning staff would combine the work documents... Oh hell no!

Ever since the Gulf War, we have incorporated a IMP (Integrated Maintenance Program) where we, civil service guys, work alongside uniformed personnel. In some ways it helps, in some ways it's a burden to both sides.

Everything is its own friggin book.
Phase docks are all in one binder, then there's The Disassembly book, Phase book, 100% book (parts that get replaced every 2 years), Over and Above book (The discrepancies that we find during Dissy and Inspection). Then the Loose Gear book (removed components discrepancies), Assembly book and finally Paint. So there's about a 100 ways to overlook a written discrepancy on any one component. Not to mention the parts that the Marines decide to cannibalize off of "Out of Reporting" aircraft. This is not a problem if / when they keep the planners informed... IF...

Then on assembly every document and every item are inspected before it leaves our facility. It's a paperwork nightmare. Such fun, for a "paperless maintenance program"

I was TAD to Cannon AFB a few years ago... We have the Osprey program for Navy, Marine and Air Force.
(Some of us, have our own name for that thing.) Let's just say, I'm no fan of that particular aircraft.
Got to see first hand, just how well you guys on the other side live.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,160 Posts
I'm tech challenged. I don't understand how it works if you have both the transmitter and receiver on the bike. I would think the garage door would be the receiver. No matter.. I don't need it so it's free to anyone who can use it.
The transmitter is on the bike. The receiver is attached to the two wires that go to your garage door opener push button inside your garage.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,160 Posts
I was TAD to Cannon AFB a few years ago... We have the Osprey program for Navy, Marine and Air Force.
(Some of us, have our own name for that thing.) Let's just say, I'm no fan of that particular aircraft.
Got to see first hand, just how well you guys on the other side live.
If you ever got down to the 523rd (Crusaders), you probably saw some of my handiwork there. I was the one that made the designated motorcycle parking right outside the hangars in '88.

35 years later, they're still there, visible from Google satellite images.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If you ever got down to the 523rd (Crusaders), you probably saw some of my handiwork there. I was the one that made the designated motorcycle parking right outside the hangars in '88.

35 years later, they're still there, visible from Google satellite images.
I can not remember what the building numbers were. I worked in the hangar indicated by the black arrow. The hanger that was being prepared for FRC is indicated by the yellow arrow.
Ecoregion Map World Urban design Screenshot

Edit: We did go to the PX for lunch everyday and i frequented the base gas station.
I was there for one month each of my two visits.
Edit: Not much free time working 12 hrs days 6 days per week. Only chance to do laundry was Sunday. You know the routine, all work and no play.

Reactions: slingshot383

·
Registered
2007 Road King Classic
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The transmitter is on the bike. The receiver is attached to the two wires that go to your garage door opener push button inside your garage.
Okay, out of curiosity, what activates the transmitter module to send a signal to the receiver on the door? I haven't seen one, but should I be looking for a button somewhere on the bike?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts