10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heres more pics

some more pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
Definitely EVO. Any clue on VIN plate at frame neck?

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
The engine cases are Nitralloy by Sputh Engineering (good), it looks like the engine is rubber mounted with two stabilizer bars near front mount that I've not seen before, unusual for a Softail. Trans/clutch lever appear to be older Shovelhead era. Brake calipers also look to be early '80's. Supertrapp exhaust (good). One photo looks like the rear rocker box has been drilled to vent? Or it could be an oil line to/from tank. Definitely a Frankenbike. Depending on quality of assembly it could be a very good bike, or a headache. If you keep it, you will learn a lot about Harley parts interchangeability. Now my turn. Did you get it for a good price?

·
Proud Infidel
2,612 Posts
it looks like the engine is rubber mounted with two stabilizer bars near front mount that I've not seen before, unusual for a Softail.
That's really weird. Plus they used a rubber mount trans, but were unable to connect it to the swingarm.

I'm just here for the beer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VIN tag on frame is an Alberta issued vehicle ID tag so this looks like a custom frame thats been inspected and assigned an ID number.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I answered an add on craigslist for a hot water pressure washer, showed up at the guys house and he had a yard sale going where people were walking through the house buying everything he had, furniture, pictures, appliances, his bed. He had sold his house and was moving 1000km away and wanted to leave with nothing but his pickup truck and camper trailer. After making a deal on the pressure washer I took a tour of the basement and ended up in the garage and found a couple of these bikes. Brother had passed away a few years back and never put the finishing touches on his machine. I made him a lowball offer of $1000 and he laughed. Then I asked him how much for the utility trailer on the driveway so I could tow the motorbike home. He said $2500 for the bike and trailer. So I bought the pair, figuring $1000 for the trailer and $1500 for the bike, I could at least get my money back down the road.

Hauled it home, charged the battery started right up. Tried riding it around the parking lot at work and NO BRAKES. So I parked it a year. Brought it out last week. Going to fix brakes and try to button up any obvious things I can find and insure and ride it this summer.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
You did good on the price. Brakes could be any of several reasons. No fluid, leaking seal on the master cyl. piston or caliper pistons rusted. Rebuild kits are cheap. In your pm, you mentioned 2 lines going to the oil tank. There should be 3, feed, return and vent. Any bike that has sat for a long period should be gone over carefully. Gas left in tank & carb. can cause a mess & lousy running. Rubber components can harden, crack etc. Any Harley style big twin bike that runs and operates well should bring $4,000 US & up depending on your locale. Really hard to give an accurate dollar figure.You should be able to sell it and consider the trailer and pressure washer as free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so today i drained the fuel out of the tank and lines and carb, it looked like dehydrated pee. I took off the airbox cover and no air filter :/ bad sign I guess. it says S&S 380 on the airbox plate, not sure what that means. I have a youtube channel and have posted a video of the bike in the shop. check it out: https://youtu.be/svzQLHgCqtY

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd like to look into buying a set of spoked wheels for this bike, I think it would look alot better than the mag style wheels it's got. What would I be looking for if I wanted to find a used set somewhere?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I got the new battery in and it started up on choke but wouldnt keep running when I turned the choke off so I took the carb off and opened it, there was a little bit of gunk in the bottom, I removed the pilot jet and cleaned it out then the main, washed the bowl out with carb cleaner removed the needle and cleaned out the seat area put it back together and back on the bike and voilla it fired up and runs like a dream. Standing there with it vibrating all my tools off of the work table I noticed an oil pool forming underneath... found a loose elbow fitting coming out the back of the motor between the engine case and transmission, had to remove the exhaust to get at the sucker. Disconnected the hose and drained the oil, managed to get the fitting in a few turns with some 5/8 wrench magic, reconnected the hose filled up the tank again and let her run 20 mins. no leak. I also adjusted up the rear brake rod and now the rear brake seems to be working, going to bleed out the front tomorow and then take it for its first ride!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heres a good one... I adjusted and tightened up the shifter lever set screws they were loose and the lever was flopping side to side, I guess it pushed it into gear while doing this, didn't really realize or think anything of it, closed up the shop went home, had a hot date that eve and decided to bring her by the shop and fire the bike up get her juices flowing (the girl not the bike) well I turned it on, pulled the choke and pressed the starter button it sprang to life and launched forward half off of my lift table, lucklily I had used a pair of tie downs to tie the handle bars to anchors I installed along the edge of the table, plus the oil slick from earlier on the table underneath was in the right spot to allow the rear wheel to just sit there and spin with the front wheel rolled off the edge of the table, my god had I not have had the straps tight it would have run right off the table and probably taken out the tool cabinet and sliding door behind it...

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
heres a good one... I adjusted and tightened up the shifter lever set screws they were loose and the lever was flopping side to side, I guess it pushed it into gear while doing this, didn't really realize or think anything of it, closed up the shop went home, had a hot date that eve and decided to bring her by the shop and fire the bike up get her juices flowing (the girl not the bike) well I turned it on, pulled the choke and pressed the starter button it sprang to life and launched forward half off of my lift table, lucklily I had used a pair of tie downs to tie the handle bars to anchors I installed along the edge of the table, plus the oil slick from earlier on the table underneath was in the right spot to allow the rear wheel to just sit there and spin with the front wheel rolled off the edge of the table, my god had I not have had the straps tight it would have run right off the table and probably taken out the tool cabinet and sliding door behind it...

You didn't finish the story. Did all that get her juices flowing? :kiss

·
Registered
620 Posts

So she was suitably impressed I'm sure. : )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts