Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
Well, I can't say what my favorite is since I have not used all of the various brands. I can assuredly say I like the Metz over the stock Dunflop.

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
Sir? I don't see my dad around!

I went from the 180mm to the 200mm, for one; and the bike seemed to handle a lot better - as if it were new.

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
could be, but i don't think so... the metz has a softer compound, yet, it's wearing WAY better than the dun.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Bridgeston Battleaxe 027 but of course they don't make them in sizes to fit Harleys. Harleys are such fat turds that most good tires wont work due to chunking.

·
Ayubowan!
115 Posts
I had Dunlop and metz,now back to Dunlop on my v rod. Dunlop is cheep, and don't feel any difference between Dunlop and metz. better mileage from Dunlop.

I had Dunlop on my road king. changed it to metz. I like metz on the king. better thread pattern on metz. but bad mileage.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I can only speak to the Metz and Dunlops from recent memory. I went with a Metz on the front of the V. For me there was a great improvement in performance with the Metz up front. Tracking straight and true and it's wearing very even unlike the Dunlop.

You can hear a million people say a million things but you just have to try them out for your self........but go with the Metz ;)

I've heard good things about avon but never tried them.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Metz. They don't follow cracks/faults in the road near as much, I believe because they do not have a central tread. They handle accurately and grip very well, wet or dry. Mileage is reported to be adequate, perhaps not the best, but frankly, with my mileage, it doesn't really matter.

I've never tried Avons, largely due to experience with the Avons that used to come standard on Land Rovers. Any company that can put crap like those on any vehicle and not commit suicide from sheer shame is not someone I would wish to put my life on :D

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Was Avon the problem, or did Land Rover request a reengineered tire for themselves?

I used Metzlers on the Low Rider and the Street Glide as soon as I could wear out the stock Dunlops. The ride and handling was immediately improved. I put Avons on Tailgunners Springer and she loved the difference.

On the Ultra, I have switched to E3's. They are a better riding and tracking tire and I have the added benefit of getting double the mileage on the rear tire of the stock Dunlop as well as a Continental that I tried.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tires

Back in the early 70's I ran Avon sst's on my Norton. Dunlops work great on my 85 FXEF. My ultra is in the stealer to have metzler's put on. I think the metz will be better for that heavy bike. When I was younger anything that held air was good enough for me.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
with handling I always hear Metz or Avon's are better than dunlops (I don't notice a huge difference) I do prefer Metzlers though just because they seem to last longer. I've had Metzlers and Dunlops on my V and the dunlops lasted around 4k miles and my Metzlers have gone a good 4k and still have plenty of tread left.

Also I've got a friend that builds custom bikes (built my last bike) and he'll build hardtails with the fenders mounted as close to the tire as this "||" and with all other tires at high speeds they get taller and rub the fenders, but the Metzlers don't do that. He says he will never use any tire other than Metzler and I guess that has just rubbed off on me.

I do like the tread pattern on the Avon's though.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
It could be more bike specific than we think.

On the Low Rider the Metzlers seemed to be the best tire.

Tailgunner is real happy with the Avons on her Springer.

The ultra really likes the E3's.

·
its rusting
429 Posts
burnout friendly, puncture-proof, doesn't leak or wear out. aka i'm too newbie to know :)

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
Metzeler all the way

I switched years ago to Metzelers and notice a remarkable difference in handling over dunlop. I like the feel of the tire..

.02 from RoadSofa

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I'm not a mileage guy, I am all about the best handling I can get out of whatever bike I have, within reason. I will next try Avon's as I heard they handle much better but at the cost of mileage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts