Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to title posts drives me crazy sometimes....

I'd like to find out what the most common items are that are being carried on your bike at all times. Regardless of trip length. I realize Glock or some iteration of it will be listed. I also realize this question might need to be broken...actually lets do that instead.

What are the common carry items (exclusive of clothing and toiletries) for long trips?

What are the common carry items for short trips (around town / day trips etc?)

So far my only common carry items are 2 bungie cords, a beanie cap, deerskin gloves, chap stick, mints, reading glasses, a pen, a Petzl light, a small travel size saline, and 1 rag.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Except for the extra clothing & overnight accessories I pack for a long trip everything else stays in my bags all the time. That includes rain gear, tire repair, basic tools, light, hat, long sleeve shirt, owner's manual, micro fiber cloths, HD air pump, zip ties, etc. My bags aren't quite filled to capacity but maybe once in a while I am going to pick up some grocery items or something and need extra room in the bags so I might open one of them and just scoop out an arm load of "stuff" to make room for whatever I'm going after then when I get home I load all the "stuff" back in the bag. And extra clothing and other items I will need on over nighters all goes in a travel bag I strap to the passenger seat and in a smaller travel bag I hang off the back of the passenger backrest--don't really mess with the stuff in the saddlebags much for longer trips cause all that stuff pretty much stays in my bags all the time.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,241 Posts
I carry this round bar bag at all times

It contains

Maxi fuse. Spare 15 amp fuse. Turn lamp bulb front. Turn lamp bulb rear. Head lamp bulb. Flash light LED. Extra batteries for flash light, a spark plug (I am old we used to need them from the fouling). Couple of rags.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1421513991.667313.jpg

Stays on whatever bike I am riding.

Also carry a tank bag. Bungi cords, kick stand rest, extra keys, extra riding goggles ( one prescription set, one not, for hitchhikers.

Saddle bag left side, first aid kit level one trauma. Rain gear and sweat shirt in compression sack for me. Remainder of room for ride stuff depending on where I am going.

Saddle bag right side, snap on motorcycle tool set, slime tire kit with mini compressor. Rain gear and sweat shirt in compression sack for her. Remainder of room for her ride stuff.

That is all always on the bike.

Long trips

I add a break down kit with two flares and the road triangles I use with commercial trucks.

Also a level three trauma kit. (if we are rolling as a group with friends)

A small hand held battery op CB radio.

Usually with on long trips.

Portable bar

Grill if camping

If our group is making a run

If we are camping I toss this roll up table on the top pack

Reactions: OGC and Redneck84

·
Registered
41 Posts
I always carry rain gear, small tool kit, emergency toilet paper(needed it once and didn't have any so I always carry some now), $10 bill in case I need gas and forgot my wallet(also happened once). Tool kit includes spare bulbs and fuses, duct tape, and various essential tools.

Overnighters are usually handled by using a backpack strapped to the passenger seat or luggage rack.

AL

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Things that I always carry: tire repair kit; first aid kit; flashlight; tool kit; rain gear; shop rags; synthetic chamois; rain cover for seat; foam ear plugs; helmet lock; kickstand pad; extra eye protection; tire gauge; air shock pump; extra gloves; bungee cords; lip balm; sunscreen; mylar blankets. And of course wallet, cell phone, bike documents.

On long trips I have add-on luggage strapped behind the driver seat which includes: clothes; toiletries; full-face helmet; tie-downs; water; snacks; journal; maps; pen/highlighter; extra key & fob; heated gear; tablet & charger; phone charger; soft lowers (engine guard). GPS mounted on handlebars.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Just the bare minimum things that are always onboard

Buck knife, garage door remote, visine, gloves and a light jacket and in middle of hot summer some swimming trunks live in saddle bags also.
Thats the stuff that pretty much stays on bike, lots of things get added on, but if just riding to work or heading out for the day thats the stuff I have.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
i keep tool bag with tools for every nut,bolt screw,2 spark plugs, leatherman,. i tend to pack what i need for where ever im going for that day. so bags are emty till then . never know what im doing for any particular day... ill second the tp thats is in the bags 24 -7

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,290 Posts
Common tools, fuses, Tire repair, Cleaners, rags, rain gear, bungies always on the ultra. Have extra water on board most of time. When traveling by myself clean pair jeans, socks and a T or 2. When the wife travels with me have to take the trailer with 15 days of clothes for a 3 day ride.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Common tools, fuses, Tire repair, Cleaners, rags, rain gear, bungies always on the ultra. Have extra water on board most of time. When traveling by myself clean pair jeans, socks and a T or 2. When the wife travels with me have to take the trailer with 15 days of clothes for a 3 day ride.
2nd that. One time joked about just taking truck pulling a trailer to haul everything.
Both of you make a good case for just picking up women off the side of the road . :thumb

·
Registered
569 Posts
Trying to title posts drives me crazy sometimes....

I'd like to find out what the most common items are that are being carried on your bike at all times. Regardless of trip length. I realize Glock or some iteration of it will be listed. I also realize this question might need to be broken...actually lets do that instead.

What are the common carry items (exclusive of clothing and toiletries) for long trips?

What are the common carry items for short trips (around town / day trips etc?)

So far my only common carry items are 2 bungie cords, a beanie cap, deerskin gloves, chap stick, mints, reading glasses, a pen, a Petzl light, a small travel size saline, and 1 rag.
Me! I'm the most common item being carried on my bike at all times!!!:biking:

Reactions: Ken 1957

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SWEET!!! I learned some things here. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
946 Posts
On the bike at all times. I carry a leatherman tool, spare fuses, small multi meter, electrical tape, 10 ft of 12 gauge wire, spare headlight bulb, tail light and turn signal bulbs, selection of the common sized bolts, nuts and washers. Plastic windshield cleaner, foam ear plugs, spare gloves, extra sun glasses, spare bike key, rags, extra oil, a pair of socks, pad for the kick stand, disc brake alarm and a cheap digital camera.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Stuff that I always carry include cell phone, leatherman, small adjustable wrench, rain gear, lemon pledge for nasty bugs, one microfiber, sunblock, hand sanitizer. We have been to a few bike shows and concerts where there are only portable johns and no hand washing facilities.

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
Spare contact lens.

I am blind in my right eye, so I only have one. Lost it once several miles from home. One of the scariest rides I ever made. I keep a spare in the trunk of mama bear, one in the tool bag of baby bear and I keep one in my vest pocket.

Reactions: sh1520

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spare contact lens.

I am blind in my right eye, so I only have one. Lost it once several miles from home. One of the scariest rides I ever made. I keep a spare in the trunk of mama bear, one in the tool bag of baby bear and I keep one in my vest pocket.
I thought about this. Keeping an extra back up pair of contacts on the bike.

Thanks for all the info guys. I wonder if this information were compiled correctly if it would be 'sticky' eligible.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
2008 VRSCDX 2019 FXDR
11,273 Posts
Couple allen wrenches, some fuses, and a couple bandanas in case of rain.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
I carry pretty much all the above. I'll only add that I keep it all in Saddleman Bag packing cube liners. One is large, 3 are small. I can just pull some/all out when I make a run to the store.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
On the bike at all times. I carry a leatherman tool,
When I ride, I AM the leather man. Hahahahahaha!

I kill me.

Anyway, there are a lot of leatherman models. Is there a preferred one you guys carry?

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
1 - 20 of 192 Posts