Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My day started off like any other 35 degree day in NY. Cold and miserable. But today was different. The temperatures rose, as well as my spirits as today I was going to ride. The roads are crappy, sandy, and salty, but I didn't care. Other then the 10 mile jot a few days ago this was my first real ride. First, I hit up advanced auto for some oil. Then, taking the long way there I went to the dealer to get a few filters. It was low 40s and people must have thought I was nuts for riding. It finally came to me. There is no reason that anyone would choose a motorcycle over a car on a day like today. No reason at all.....
Except...
There are a select few of us, many of whom are on here that simply can't imagine life without a motorcycle. They truly live to ride, and ride to live it isn't just a slogan on there bike. To them, me, today was a perfect day to ride. I know I felt that way. People ask me why, why do you ride when its... (insert condition, temp...) I have now realized I have no answer. It is just a subconscious decision that forces my conscious mind to follow. It is not something someone can learn to enjoy I don't think, I think you have to be born with it. Some people only ride when its 70+ the sun is shining and the stars align. That's cool and all, more power to em, but I just can't imagine it. It is only my third season now of riding so maybe one day I will get burnt out or whatever, but until then, I'm gonna ride!!!!
The sound of the pipes and the sweet vibes pulsing through my body is a feeling like no other. Every sound, every bump, every gust of wind, are all felt. All taken into consideration. The feel of the brakes, the g forces of a turn, 3k rpm 4krpm redline, shift...... The senses are overloaded with joy. The wind rushes by life just stands still. Time halts. Problems, gone. Its just you and the road, the road and you. I wish I could describe the feeling to a non rider I really do.

Back to my story...
After my errands I changed the oil in my bros bike and then washed my truck, and the two bikes as it reached 52 degrees by 2:00. Finally I saw the bikes and my truck all shined and looking pretty so I started a fire out back to burn some cardboard and sat out on the deck watching the sunset. Some days suck... But ya know what, some days like today really make life worth living!

I'm done blabbing if you made it this far thanks for reading and ride on road warriors!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Great story. Have only been riding for a year and I know how you feel.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its funny. My family coaxed me into taking the MSF course. I didn't even really care that much to ride. I figured I'd learn how and get a bike if I liked it. By the end of the first day on the range I was hooked. Haven't looked back since.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Amen Brother.

I rode in the miserable cold this morning just because I knew it would be warm this afternoon........It paid off!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Summed up nicely, I ride year round like many on here, sold my car when I got a bike again after having to sell it to get through school. Never a regret, ad always love it regardless of the temps. Have fun, live life, its the only one we have!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Banned
853 Posts
XL - I think you speak for a lot of us on this forum. That's why we get on here. To share our experience knowledge and love of riding. I do believe it is an innate thing in most of us. Regardless of what we discuss or disagree on from time to time the tie that binds us is we are a different breed. Hard working honest patriotic men who live a lifestyle that happens to include a somewhat dangerous part to it.

Saddling up on our iron horses and living life on our own terms.

Loved by few
Hated by many
Respected by all

Biker: FTW

Sent from my LGL45C using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Earth-bound Misfit
624 Posts
Love those special days. Been riding for over 35 years and every spring it's like Christmas morning...can't wait for it to get here. Feel like a kid again. There really is nothing quite like a motorcycle.

And you're right, unless you're born with that special gene, you'll never really understand what it is about riding that's so special.

Great post.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Great story, amigo! Thanks for sharing. It's been kind of crappy down here the last few days. I think that stuff that hit Pipe up north came down here. I'm hoping to get some good riding done in the next few days. Can't wait to get my new grips in...

·
Registered
38,875 Posts
Even in this cold, the jack holes are still out in force.

This morning riding home from work at 5am, 40°, this jackhole in a giant SUV in the left hand lane, me in the right both stopped at a stoplight, he thinks he is gonna outrun me so that he can cut in front of me to take the exit on the right. :nah Dumbass

I mean, there is nobody else on the roads at 5am! Why the need to be a jackass? :dunno

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even in this cold, the jack holes are still out in force.

This morning riding home from work at 5am, 40°, this jackhole in a giant SUV in the left hand lane, me in the right both stopped at a stoplight, he thinks he is gonna outrun me so that he can cut in front of me to take the exit on the right. :nah Dumbass

I mean, there is nobody else on the roads at 5am! Why the need to be a jackass? :dunno
Thats all part of the journey I guess man! With the good comes the bad too ya know. It is amazing how people forget motorcycles exist in the cold. Today 2 SUVs were approaching the maim state route I was on from a side road. The one guy pulled to the intersection and stopped no big deal. The guy behind him, god knows why, pulled to the right of him, and I thought for sure he was going to swing right out in front of me. I don't know how he saw me because the first SUV blocked his view, but he didnt pull out luckily.

We just gotta look out and hope for the best!

·
Registered
38,875 Posts
Really though.... is there ANYTHING a giant Yukon can outrun?

I mean besides a Prius?

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really though.... is there ANYTHING a giant Yukon can outrun?

I mean besides a Prius?
And a leaf. Let's be fair :rollin

I agree, I hate when people do that. Thankfully though, (well your bike is more powerful then mine) with my sporty even if most people try to outrun me I can easily outrun there outrun
.. Or something like that.
I must say though the 5.3 in the yukon/Tahoe and the 5.4 in the expedition (especially the one in the navigator) are no slouches. Not going to outrun a bike by any means though. Maybe people think they are cool for trying...
Edit: Why you complaining kainam? Just plant that 111hp and blow his friggin doors in. No problem!!! Gotta love power

Almost forgot, tried to get my bike in a shot with the sunset. I suck at pictures though and couldn't get the color right.

Attachments

·
Registered
38,875 Posts
Edit: Why you complaining kainam? Just plant that 111hp and blow his friggin doors in. No problem!!! Gotta love power
Oh I did. :D Only had to give it 1/4 - 1/3 throttle. :laugh

Almost forgot, tried to get my bike in a shot with the sunset. I suck at pictures though and couldn't get the color right.
1 hour before sun up - sun up, and sun down - 1 hour after is the best time for those kind of shots. The colors come out better in pics during those times :thumb

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mmmmm power!!!!

Thanks for the picture tips too! When I get ahold of my friends DSLR(D7000? D700? something like that) my pictures aren't too bad. I'm terrible with phone pictures though whereas good photographers can even make phone pictures look good with some effort.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Here's the effect riding a motorcycle has had on me. Going to the dark side and owning a Harley had done wonders for my ego. When I leave the garage on my bike, it's Shangrila. I have spent the winter changing the fluids, putting in gear-drive cams, cleaning and polishing, polishing and cleaning. I have a 13 year-old purple Dyna that keeps me awake at night. I make frequent trips to the garage to make sure it's as stunning as when I left it. I am really proud of my bike, being a Harley guy and all the BS that goes with it. I know one is not supposed to get attached to material things, but damn...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Good post XL, I was out on my bike yesterday as well. Little cool and windy but wow it was great. While I was out I seen one other bike, a crotch rocket, that was it. Yes I agree non riders don't understand our madness, but thats fine with me. Nothing like gearing up hopping on the bike and enjoying the ride. I call it self therapy. Supposed to be nice here in Pa. this weekend and plan on putting some miles on the bike, knock the rust of the skills and just relax and take it all in. Friends that ride are those type that ride only when it's warm out and think I'm a little out there when I ride when it's a cold ride, but I look at as this, I was given another day to live and the gifts to enjoy while I'm here. Life is short so why not go out and experience all you can even if it's the simple things like sitting and enjoying the sunset. Good for the soul. Ride on, Ride safe my friend. Good Story..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Weather being what it has, I rode this past Saturday for the first time in a few months, it was only in the 40's but good enough for me. Only about an hour,all alone and it felt great. That 1 hr made my whole day can't explain it, I think you guys on this post know,but the whole day just seemed better..... This weekend 55+ another good day coming

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's the effect riding a motorcycle has had on me. Going to the dark side and owning a Harley had done wonders for my ego. When I leave the garage on my bike, it's Shangrila. I have spent the winter changing the fluids, putting in gear-drive cams, cleaning and polishing, polishing and cleaning. I have a 13 year-old purple Dyna that keeps me awake at night. I make frequent trips to the garage to make sure it's as stunning as when I left it. I am really proud of my bike, being a Harley guy and all the BS that goes with it. I know one is not supposed to get attached to material things, but damn...
Pictures!!! I love purple dynas! I love purple dynas! My dad had an fxdx that was purple. Loved em since. Sounds like a sweet sweet ride!

Good post XL, I was out on my bike yesterday as well. Little cool and windy but wow it was great. While I was out I seen one other bike, a crotch rocket, that was it. Yes I agree non riders don't understand our madness, but thats fine with me. Nothing like gearing up hopping on the bike and enjoying the ride. I call it self therapy. Supposed to be nice here in Pa. this weekend and plan on putting some miles on the bike, knock the rust of the skills and just relax and take it all in. Friends that ride are those type that ride only when it's warm out and think I'm a little out there when I ride when it's a cold ride, but I look at as this, I was given another day to live and the gifts to enjoy while I'm here. Life is short so why not go out and experience all you can even if it's the simple things like sitting and enjoying the sunset. Good for the soul. Ride on, Ride safe my friend. Good Story..

You get me.... I hope you enjoy the weekend down there you lucky southerner!!

Weather being what it has, I rode this past Saturday for the first time in a few months, it was only in the 40's but good enough for me. Only about an hour,all alone and it felt great. That 1 hr made my whole day can't explain it, I think you guys on this post know,but the whole day just seemed better..... This weekend 55+ another good day coming
You too...enjoy it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts