Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've Updated!
Advanced Search, Push notifications and Alerts get updates this week.
Have been getting notifications regarding upcoming changes but I don't understand.
'
What on earth is a Push notification?

·
Administrator
397 Posts
Push Notifications

The community offers push notifications if your browser's permissions allow it. You may see a popup in the community allowing you to enable these permissions for the site.

You can also enable/disable push notifications by clicking on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and selecting “Account Settings” from the drop-down menu.

You will now see left side navigation. Select “Preferences”.

Scroll down to Push Notifications to set your preferences.

Enabling push notifications will enable them for this device only. If you log out of this device, you will need to re-enable push notifications.

You can simply click "not now".

- Cricket

·
Administrator
397 Posts
The "not now" option just means the little window goes away for about 30 seconds. How do we turn it off, like to stop asking?
It went away for me when I told it not now. Are you blocking any scripts in your browser?

- Cricket

·
Retired citizen
22,516 Posts
That popup is really annoying. I followed Cricket's directions and went into my settings and unchecked the 'push notification' box. turned my PC off to run to the store, came back and turned PC back on and there's that ' push notification' again. What logical reason do I need pushes ?

·
Barney Fife - Poser
893 Posts
It went away for me when I told it not now. Are you blocking any scripts in your browser?

- Cricket
I am not blocking scripts.

When I click on "not now" it typically makes the pop-up stop until the next time I log in, but not always. Frequently, it just keeps popping out every 30 seconds to a minute even though I keep picking "not now". For the record, I have even gone into my settings and specifically turned off all the push notifications and this still keeps happening. It just seems like my only 2 choices are to enable the push notifications or continue to see this "reminder" every time I visit this site.

·
Barney Fife - Poser
893 Posts
OK, well this seems (for the moment) to be the fix for me. When that little bastard popped out the top of the window I clicked on "enable push notifications", then when my browser asked me to allow this site to send me notifications I clicked "block". Then I went to my account settings to verify that all the push crap was still unchecked and it shows there that push notifications are disabled.

So far, so good.

·
Administrator
1,555 Posts
Hello,

We use these cookies to ensure the settings you prefer are saved. You should only see this once, but if you are still seeing it multiple times it could be for a myriad of reasons. If you are blocking cookies on the site, preventing them from being saved, or if you click away from the message are some of the ways you may encounter this issue. The pop up will then go away until you log in from a new device, or if you log in on an incognito browser. If it is popping up on every page load, you may have a corrupted cookie in your session, in which case you should clear cookies and you should see this pop-up once more and then not again.
That being said cookies do also naturally expire over a time so you will see it down the road too, but it shouldn't be an every instance issue. If I haven't touched on any reason why you specifically are still seeing the pop-up, please let me know and I can dig further. Let me know what device and browser you are using so I can best record this issue and work to fix it if there is something I can affect.

-Gerrit

·
Retired citizen
22,516 Posts
I'm getting the 'push' popup every time I restart my laptop, Acer E15 running Win10. If I close my session without signing off the forum then no 'push' popup when restarting a session.
Also I have the 'push' unchecked in my settings as Cricket mentioned to do earlier in this thread.

·
Administrator
397 Posts
I'm getting the 'push' popup every time I restart my laptop, Acer E15 running Win10. If I close my session without signing off the forum then no 'push' popup when restarting a session.
Also I have the 'push' unchecked in my settings as Cricket mentioned to do earlier in this thread.
The developers are investigating a possible bug regarding this issue.

- Cricket

·
Barney Fife - Poser
893 Posts
Hello,

We use these cookies to ensure the settings you prefer are saved. You should only see this once, but if you are still seeing it multiple times it could be for a myriad of reasons. If you are blocking cookies on the site, preventing them from being saved, or if you click away from the message are some of the ways you may encounter this issue. The pop up will then go away until you log in from a new device, or if you log in on an incognito browser. If it is popping up on every page load, you may have a corrupted cookie in your session, in which case you should clear cookies and you should see this pop-up once more and then not again.
That being said cookies do also naturally expire over a time so you will see it down the road too, but it shouldn't be an every instance issue. If I haven't touched on any reason why you specifically are still seeing the pop-up, please let me know and I can dig further. Let me know what device and browser you are using so I can best record this issue and work to fix it if there is something I can affect.

-Gerrit
What I did and posted about in post #7 on this thread seems to have worked.

·
Retired citizen
22,516 Posts
No, but whenever I close my browser I get logged off.
Hmmmm, I don't !
If I don't sign off the forum and turn my PC off when I'm done using it I don't get logged off the forum.
When I turn my PC back on and click the HD forum icon I'm still logged in and no shittin' 'push' popup ! I think the powers that be should stop with the 'push' shit soon. Popups are annoying and they're everyplace on the internet, but we don't need to get 'pushed' here IMO.

·
Barney Fife - Poser
893 Posts
Hmmmm, I don't !
If I don't sign off the forum and turn my PC off when I'm done using it I don't get logged off the forum.
When I turn my PC back on and click the HD forum icon I'm still logged in and no shittin' 'push' popup ! I think the powers that be should stop with the 'push' shit soon. Popups are annoying and they're everyplace on the internet, but we don't need to get 'pushed' here IMO.
I'm not getting the "push" thing any longer.

I don't allow my browser to continue running background tasks after I close it. That's why I get logged off. I prefer it that way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts