Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your Riding Plans in '07?

On a ride today with five others started talking about riding plans for '07.

Have found my self interested in going beyond the normal nearby roads. Have plans to take overnights (sometimes camping), maybe leaving late Friday afternoon and returning Saturday. Want to see more of the adjoining states on two wheels... New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, etc.

Maybe you all have some intentions, some plans, curious to know what they are. Could give me some ideas!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I started doing long rides last summer on my Vrod... It is a great experience...Actually the main reason I just bought my Ultra Classic.

I am plannning a ride from Chicago to Colorado and also a ride from Philly into Maine. Nothing better than just having a start and end date and letting the road and the voices in your head fill in the rest.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am sure you have heard of http://www.tailofthedragon.com/ . I rode there in August (1,600 miles round trip) and it was great. If you go to that website, make sure you click on the menus above and look at the other roads in the area. The Great Smoky Mountains are not the Rockies, but it is really fun to ride around the area.
I hope to get to South Dakota and the Grand Canyon area this summer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Great Smokies / Tail of the Dragon (1100 round trip, plus the local riding while cruzing the TN/NC roads - I figure 2000 total in the 5-6 days)

Knoxville, TN for the annual HOG National event

PA - site the 9-11 plane crash

Still dreaming up new items - stay tuned for more.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started doing long rides last summer on my Vrod... It is a great experience...Actually the main reason I just bought my Ultra Classic.

I am plannning a ride from Chicago to Colorado and also a ride from Philly into Maine. Nothing better than just having a start and end date and letting the road and the voices in your head fill in the rest.
Sounds like great plans tpspuck. As the date approaches for Colorado, let me know if I can help... suggestions, assistance, etc.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sure you have heard of http://www.tailofthedragon.com/ . I rode there in August (1,600 miles round trip) and it was great. If you go to that website, make sure you click on the menus above and look at the other roads in the area. The Great Smoky Mountains are not the Rockies, but it is really fun to ride around the area.
I hope to get to South Dakota and the Grand Canyon area this summer.
Great plans!

One of these days I'll make it to Deals Gap, and the surrounding roads. Did you ride the Cherohola?

If coming through Colorado along the way, let me know. You know, I'm only six hours from Sturgis and have never been :eek:. If you can see southern Utah coming or going to the Grand Canyon, it might be the highlight of your ride.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great Smokies / Tail of the Dragon (1100 round trip, plus the local riding while cruzing the TN/NC roads - I figure 2000 total in the 5-6 days)

Knoxville, TN for the annual HOG National event

PA - site the 9-11 plane crash

Still dreaming up new items - stay tuned for more.
Harley Guy... I hope to see the PA site of the 9/11 crash someday. One of my neighbors has a daughter who lives in the nearby town.

·
Motorcycle Junkie
40 Posts
Well... bigger rides, Price to Sante Fe, and Taos NM via Monument Valley Shiprock etc., return via Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Dolores Canyon end of May; maybe Yellowstone and Tetons in June; July, to Denver for Drags at Bandemere, Aug., up for suggestions; Sept. Homecoming Rally in KC!!!!!! Throw in a few trips around here, Western CO and Eastern UT, Moab, Devil's Backbone, The Nat'l Monuments and Parks. Should keep me pretty busy. Anybody coming out this way give me a holler.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A bunch of friends and I are already planning a costal ride around the mitten of Michigan in July. Perhaps we call in the Great Lakes Lighthouse Tour?

:ride

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great plans!

One of these days I'll make it to Deals Gap, and the surrounding roads. Did you ride the Cherohola?

If coming through Colorado along the way, let me know. You know, I'm only six hours from Sturgis and have never been :eek:. If you can see southern Utah coming or going to the Grand Canyon, it might be the highlight of your ride.
Yes, rode the Cherohala 2-up on the Road King. It was great going up and up and hitting rain at the top. I think it was 5,000 ft or so, but still a perfect ride. Also, rode to Helen, GA in the rain down another mountain. There are so many great roads and places to stay in the area. If you ever do get to the Tail of the Dragon area, I recommend the Tapoco Lodge. You can have your own little cabin on the hillside. There are even some home-made-looking shelters for the bike near the cabins.
The tail-of-the-dragon was just ok. Two-up on a RK in the rain with new asphalt being laid does not make for a great ride on the Dragon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, seeing as I've had plenty of time to plan this year :rolleyes: I do have a few rides lined up for '07.

Late spring ~ early summer I'm planning on running down to the gulf (Panama City Beach probably) for my annual seafood fix.

Late July I'm planning on running up to Sturgis again. Going up a bit earlier this year to avoid the crowds and see more of the area without the killer traffic.

Late August I'm planning on a western run out to the CO, WY, MO area. Just gotta see the Tetons and Beartooth Pass. I had this trip planned last year before my crash/boom/ouch interruption.

In between, I'll fill in with shorter runs and or rallies/meets.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Nothing in concrete at this point, but I want to get back to Hill Country. Rhode some of it last year, but I missed the 3s. Guess I'm hoping to do a Junction weekend.

DNM??

1 - 20 of 78 Posts