Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now having a tach for the first time ever on a big twin, I'm seeing what RPMs I'm cruising and shifting at. Before I would just play it by ear and typically shift into 3rd at around 35mph, 4th at 45mph, 5th at 55mph, give or take a few mph's. What RPM do you cruise and shift at most of the time?

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I shift by ear. Baby pulls so nicely all the way thru the range and when she quits pullin', time to give 'er a nudge!

With her current gearing, at 80 mph she's running around 3500. At least, that's what I think I saw.

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
I shift by ear.
Same here... By ear and by feel.

I find it funny sometimes when I read on 1130cc that some don't shift until they get to 6000RPM's.... which leads me to believe that they are doing, what, a constant 65MPH in 2nd gear?

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts

I find it funny sometimes when I read on 1130cc that some don't shift until they get to 6000RPM's.... which leads me to believe that they are doing, what, a constant 65MPH in 2nd gear?
(giggling) That does help explain the gas mileage;)

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeah I know. I think reality was "stretched" with "stretched" RPM values.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I shift by ear and circumstances mostly. When I am going for mileage I shift at about 2500 rpm's and cruise at 2000 to 2500. Anything lower is bogging the engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
1st VVVAAAAAAAAROOOOOOOOOOOMMMM
2ND VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMM
3RD VVVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM
4TH VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
5TH VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
6TH HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:ride:ride

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup, 07's have 6 speeds, SWEET. At about 70 mph, hit 6th and just kaarrooz on down the road. Before ya know it, your doing 85-90. Ya have ta be careful.

:ride

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
1st VVVAAAAAAAAROOOOOOOOOOOMMMM
2ND VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMM
3RD VVVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM
4TH VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
5TH VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
6TH HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:ride:ride
Sounds right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts