Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Road King Classic
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m daydreaming about where I want to move in the future so give me ideas for the best riding state. Is there Year round riding, well-kept roads, scenery, hills and curves?

Here in WI we have some good scenery as well as curves and hills, but there’s snow for more than half of the year so it sucks.
I’m expecting some Arizona and Colorado responses but I’m curious what others there could be.

·
Just Ride
3,862 Posts
If you're riding it's a good state. Living in central Florida, I ride about anytime I want.

Reactions: JLR and rocket rick

·
Super Moderator
5,081 Posts
I love the Blue Ridge mountains but short riding season too. For perfect I agree, South and warm. Never really rode out West either. Great topic.

Reactions: alanjames

·
Try'n to behave
6,353 Posts
I love the Blue Ridge mountains but short riding season too. For perfect I agree, South and warm. Never really rode out West either. Great topic.
Maybe Northern Georgia? It gets "cold", but not near as cold as he is used to. Would extend his riding season considerably and have easy access to the Blue Ridges/East TN & West NC.

Reactions: ematicic

·
Registered
2006 Electra Glide Ultra Classic - Houston, Texas
141 Posts
Texas, especially The Hill Country. You have The Twisted Sister and many other great roads. Yea, gets a little warm in the summer but even then great morning and evening rides. I'm fixing to retire from the Houston rat race and move there. Already have land and house being built.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The scenery and twisties of the Rocky Mountain States can't be beat! However, ALL mountains get snow! I grew up in Utah and Wyoming. Wyo. most definitely knows how to get COLD and WIND! Utah is my favorite state to ride in.. Crazy twisties and endless national parks! The bikes get a rest and refit for about 3 months... The other 9 is Brrraaaappp!

I have been stuck in this Commie hell hole of Commphornia for way to long! Riding is NOT year round (at least here in the desert) July, Aug. Sept... Is repair and rebuild time! Over 100 days straight this year, where the temps were in excess of 100. WAY too many of those days were in the 100 teens! Otherwise, the back roads and highways all twistys and lead to either the mountains or the ocean. Lane splitting and filtering are all legit here! (Just watch out for out of state plates! They all want to turn a bike into a hood ornament!). Shure is fun making a Christmas and New Years 100+ mile ride in the sun though... Great State if it weren't for the phuckn politicians!

·
Registered
2010 Road-King.
14 Posts
I have lived and also ice raced all over michigan. now I have place in central florida also. I spent a winter in the hill country of Texas and saw 19 degree mornings with 40s' durning day. In central florida We had one morning of 39 but was 70 by noon. I took a bmw r-ninet classic last year and raced all over around lakes and small towns. I found some amazing curvy roads there and no traffic away from coasts.(y)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Maybe Northern Georgia? It gets "cold", but not near as cold as he is used to. Would extend his riding season considerably and have easy access to the Blue Ridges/East TN & West NC.
North Georgia has some really nice places to ride. While it gets cold there, the worst day is much warmer than WI. My son, brothers and I go up there every spring. The roads range from aggressive to mild. There are some pretty places up there.

Reactions: JLR and loubob

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Cant speak about riding your states but have been to a fair few all on the east coast from down south to way up north any of them I would love to ride and not drive .
#Now talking of Country's I would choose any where in Europe for me but only in spring and summer months .
England any time of year but take wet weather gear and an old shit heap of a bike ya dont want chrome here any day /time of day it can and will rain

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,100 Posts
I live in Arizona and ride year round. If the temps are above 40 and less than 110, the bike is a solid option. Lots of great roads, from monsters like the Devil's Highway to smaller stuff like Yarnell, Bartlett Lake, Tortilla Flat, etc..

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
North Georgia isn't the only part that has good riding. The geography varies a lot in 4 directions. I don't have to have lots of twistys to have a great ride. There are so many nicely maintained roads through farmlands, gentle hills etc. I've lived in middle Ga over 20 years and am still finding new roads within 30 miles of home. We can ride for all but a few days of the year and best of all virtually NO TRAFFIC on these roads.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I will be checking out AZ in about one more year. Plan on spending a month / six weeks there in winter of 22-23. On April 29th I will walk through the door of my local watering hole and drop the hard hat in the trash...46 years is enough. But I still plan on riding my favorite roads in Michigan during he summer.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The scenery and twisties of the Rocky Mountain States can't be beat! However, ALL mountains get snow! I grew up in Utah and Wyoming. Wyo. most definitely knows how to get COLD and WIND! Utah is my favorite state to ride in.. Crazy twisties and endless national parks! The bikes get a rest and refit for about 3 months... The other 9 is Brrraaaappp!

I have been stuck in this Commie hell hole of Commphornia for way to long! Riding is NOT year round (at least here in the desert) July, Aug. Sept... Is repair and rebuild time! Over 100 days straight this year, where the temps were in excess of 100. WAY too many of those days were in the 100 teens! Otherwise, the back roads and highways all twistys and lead to either the mountains or the ocean. Lane splitting and filtering are all legit here! (Just watch out for out of state plates! They all want to turn a bike into a hood ornament!). Shure is fun making a Christmas and New Years 100+ mile ride in the sun though... Great State if it weren't for the phuckn politicians!
Agree with this. Ca is one of the best and worst of where to live and ride. Absolutely some of the best riding opportunities, combined with some of the worst living conditions. So Ca is really a 'take the good with the bad' situation. Or in my case I was fed up with the bad part so when an opportunity came along, I was gone. Do miss the beauty and riding in Ca, but don't miss anything else (except the fishing). Now I am in Ky and enjoy riding here. Only drawback is, in this part of rural Ky once you have covered most everything within a 200 mile radius, it all starts looking the same. But all that means is its time to stretch out, see/do more and I do have a bucket list of things to do.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
42,905 Posts

New Mexico. Rode there 12 months a year when stationed at Cannon AFB. Mountains + High Plains.

Hope to check out Utah soon.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
New Mexico. Rode there 12 months a year when stationed at Cannon AFB. Mountains + High Plains.

Hope to check out Utah soon.
Flew into Albuquerque and drove a rental to Cannon, a couple of times! That looked to be a really fun ride! (made me miss the bike BAD). Then went there again, between Thanksgiving and Christmas.... Froze my azz off! Snow and wind! Mother nature just kept on clicking that fan up and up! That was the first time i ever saw a pack of hogs (the 4 legged type) wandering down the highway at 0230... I don't care WTF your driving or riding, them effers would ruin your day! This was within 1/2 mile of the exit to Cannon heading from Clovis (where our motel was).

·
Registered
42,905 Posts
Went to Albq many of times. Still have a friend that lives there that was stationed at CAFB same time as I was. We rode many miles together.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Asylum Inmate
12,583 Posts
I have never rode in a state that was not great to ride in.

I like western Colorado because I can ride all the west.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The Ozark mountains of southwest Missouri and northwest Arkansas has great riding and only a few weeks of solid no riding.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts