Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fashion advice: On the practical application of protective leather gear.

I know there are people who ride in all kinds of gear, from tank tops to armor.
And I also expect there is not going to be much discussion on cold weather jackets from people
who's weather keeps them off the bike during cold weather.
However... someone will have an opinion if not a suggestion on this topic.

I wear a more or less traditional sturdy leather jacket, about as heavy as the temperature will allow,
but I'm torn between 2 styles, and puzzled about how to even make one style work.

If you also wear a more or less traditional leather jacket, is it the truly traditional,
double-breasted, zip up one side, sort of open at the collar style,

Or the more modern closed collar, zip to the top and button at the neck style?
One leather shop calls the style the "Speedster" style.

Turns out I have accumulated a number of jackets, of each style.
I find that while some of the nicest and certainly the most expensive and high quality
one is of the really traditional style, I find that I always wear the closed at the neck style.
I'm traditionalist enough to want to like the double-breasted open collar style more,
and God knows I've got enough money invested in 2 of them,
I think I just don't know how to wear the open collar jacket,
it seems like if it's cool enough to wear leather at all,
I feel like I need the windproof closure at the neck.

Am I missing something? A scarf, or neck gaither, or something?
Discuss.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
A bandana, a turtle neck, a man tailored shirt with open collar and t-shirt showing, a turtle, a scarf...
All would finish the look if you need.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
You have put into words exactly how I feel. I prefer the speedster syle for function. Thats why I bought one.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
The "Traditional" look is fast becoming just that......"The Look."

The "Speedster" is the evolution of the coat.

My traditional coat is very heavy and doesn't get much wear here anymore because it is almost too hot most days. It can be closed at the top. At least mine can. It probably provides more protection from road rash due to the thickness.

I find the speedster to be a whole lot lighter and yet it keeps me plenty warm most days in Texas. An additional benefit comes on those days when the temps start out cool but climb during the day. The speedster doesn't take up near as much room in the tourpack when I take it off.

I probably alternate between the speedster and a bluejean jacket more these days.

·
Registered
40,744 Posts

I wear one of these from Fox Creek Leather. It has zippered vents front and rear for when it gets warm out, and a removable full sleve thinsulate liner and hideable neck warmer for when it gets cold. One of the heaviest leather jackets I have found.

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/308.html

I have used the traditional style jacket and had no problems with it. Mine seemed to close up just fine when I unsnapped the collar flaps and zipped it up all the way to the top.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THAT's a sharp looking jacket Kainam, the quality shows even in a pix.

My traditional coat is very heavy and doesn't get much wear here anymore because it is almost too hot most days. It can be closed at the top. At least mine can. It probably provides more protection from road rash due to the thickness..
Sounds like we might have the same heavy duty jacket, mine is HD brand and typical of the difference between top quality motorcyle leather wear, as compared to quality leather wear, that is not quite as motorcycle use-specific, the better jacket has much more design attention, it does close all the way at the neck, in fact there are so trick many vents and compartments and modes it should have come with a manual.

The reason for the discussion is that I have a new traditional style one in hand that I am deliberating sending back as just not as practical. It is a real good looker, and the weight is very nearly the equal of the HD jacket, the quality is very good, but there is just a bit of design work missing, it doesn't morph into the closed at the neck mode quite as well.

This one attracted my attention because while it is a perfect recreation of the very traditional jacket, it is brown, and I frequently prefer to be just a little different. What the hell, for only $109 maybe I'll just keep it. Can't get a vest from HD for that. Or decent gloves, even.

I was able to get the Speedster style in brown as well. With matching chaps.
The brown "Speedster" style does have the front and back zippered vents, and is medium heavy, with the liner removed it may be a warm weather choice as well.

Damn, now I need to find my style boots in brown, to complete my chocolate ensemble.

Attachments

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
After years of 'leather envy', I purchased a Vanson CSRX earlier this year. Probably the last leather I'll ever need to buy.

http://www.vansonleather.com/product_pages/jackets/csrl_womens_csrx.htm

This replaces the fringed "Nancy Davidson" jacket that my then-husband bought me in 1988 (which is still perfectly serviceable and I have passed down to my Mom).

In cooler weather, I'll wear a turtleneck as a base layer. When it gets really cold, I have a set of polypropylene underwear, including a balaclava (it's a head covering, not a Greek pastry). What I like about my new jacket is that it will accomodate armor as well as a heated liner.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darn you guys, Kainam and KBO, you got me just enough inclined to pay a butt-load,.... oh 'scuse me, a boat-load more money for leather goods that nice, rather than relishing the exceptional value I've been getting, that I sent back the "Traditional" jacket and only kept the "Speedster" style.

I got a lot more out of this thread than I expected. Kainam's Fox Creek Leather site offered the brown 11" engineer boots I was thinking I wouldn't have an easy time finding.

I found the site KBO referred to very interesting as well, at first I thought, I've never seen a biker jacket that didn't need a "venting" structure at the intersection of the back/shoulder/side sleeve for stretch when the rider reaches forwards, but then I remembered my ninja-son's custom tailored riding suit that he can't stand up comfortably in, it is so specifically tailored to the riding position, I'm guessing KBO's jacket is that special too.

Kainam's site even has the same near $500 quality in a brown jacket too.
Don't think I saw brown chaps, tho.'

I know somebody is thinking how umm, precious?.. wanting a set of brown leathers is, but WTF, that's part of the fun for me, figuring somebody will think it's a bit gay, and not giving a flip if they do.

·
Registered
40,744 Posts
Kainam's site even has the same near $500 quality in a brown jacket too.
Don't think I saw brown chaps, tho.'

I know somebody is thinking how umm, precious?.. wanting a set of brown leathers is, but WTF, that's part of the fun for me, figuring somebody will think it's a bit gay, and not giving a flip if they do.
Get in touch with them, I am 99% sure that they will do a custom set in brown if you dont mind waiting.

Telephone: (800) 766-4165

Address:
Fox Creek Leather Company
2029 Elk Creek Parkway
Independence, VA 24348

[email protected]

I don't see anything wrong with brown leather, infact, my brother wears a brown leather Vintage Motorcycle jacket from Schott in NY, another exceptional quality American leather company since 1913. Looking at their site, they offer chaps in brown.

http://www.schottnyc.com/motorcycle_jackets.cfm

My personal loyalties lie with Fox Creek due to my research on them when I was looking for a jacket and reading stories with their exceptional customer service, and steering other folks like yourself to check out Fox Creek and seeing how happy they were with their purchases. That, and I preferred the styles Fox Creek offered more than the Schott jackets.

When doing my research, I actually tried to find someone that had something negative to say about Fox Creek.... My search came up empty!

I like how, if you want a custom sizing, thicker leather (although the leather they use is already thick!) etc, they will send you a trial fit piece for you to see how it fits, then you can tell them to add an inch here... take away an inch there etc... That way when you get your custom sized leather it will be perfect!

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/help/customOrders.phtml

Although not exactly a standard size, I bought a standard size Limited Edition Vented Racing Jacket (no longer a regularly stocked item), which is 3/4" longer in the torso and 2" longer in the sleeves compared to the standard model. For the way my bike is set up with the forward leaning seating position and drag bars, it fits me perfectly on the bike.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I wear the "traditional" open collar jacket just because I spent way too much money for it many years ago and I refuse to buy another jacket untill this one is so old I can't wear it anymore.

I've never used a scarf or anything, there was a time that I was riding and it was fairly cold and it started to rain. If you fold the lower collar in you can zip them up all the way and it keeps the rain/cold off your neck.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"... because I spent way too much money for it many years ago and I refuse to buy another jacket
untill this one is so old I can't wear it anymore..."

...or, if you're like me, you get too fat to wear it anymore?

I'd dearly love to loose enough weight that my top quality jacket doesn't fit anymore.
If I ever get thinner so it won't fit, I'll be JUST DELIGHTED to get a new one to celebrate.

A top quality leather jacket is NEVER going to be so old that you can't wear it anymore.

I prolly have the same jacket, I don't wear the truly "Traditional" style very often anymore,
it really that disgust with such a high priced and high quality jacket going to waste,
that makes me so inclined to spending MUCH less on leather gear, so long as it isn't crap.

My bigger problem hasn't been quality of the goods, it's been quality of my choice.

Ya'know-
While I do Ebay and Gunbroker (ebay for guns) purchases all the time, I never sold or traded anything.. yet.

I'm betting many of us on this forum and The V-Rod forum have leather goods specifically, that we'll never wear out,
or sadly, will never be thin enough to wear again. Besides a straight up classified sales section, I wonder if there's
enough people willing to trade or sell leather jackets to support some special section?

Most everybody would prefer well worn leathers,
assuming they don't have terminal BO, cooties or bullet holes.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
yeah I'll most likely have my jacket till I die because I'm not real rough with it or anything, I'm sure it will last forever. Some day I'll decide to go on a diet and quit smoking and start excersising and then I'll have to buy a new jacket.....Nahhh!

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
LOL - why do you think I was wearing that puffy vest OVER the jacket in my avatar? - Leather shrinks in the closet!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Leather shrinks in the closet!
Something I read and tried once, and it worked very well, on tight shoes at least,
is that wetting leather with rubbing alcohol will cause it to relax and it can be stretched,
when the alcohol dries the leather stays at it's new size, and with no apparent ill effect.
On very tight dress shoes, daubbing 70% rubbing alcohol on the tight spots
almost instantly relaxed the pressure. It was amazing.

I know, I'd be very hesitant to take a chance on messing up an expensive jacket,
but if there is a way that a good jacket that doesn't fit right anymore can become
a "custom fit" it might be worth some cautious experimentation.

Testing to confirm that leather can be stretched without blemishing the goods
might be a good use of an old pair of shoes, or a belt that doesn't fit anymore.
Feet keep growing, ya'know. On men anyway. And ears and noses.

It might tend to dry the leather some, but I'd bet going right back after the stretching
and rubbing in saddle soap or some other leather balm would fix that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a traditional style from Fox Creek. It's a great jacket. You can zip them up all the way to the neck when it gets really cold, you know.

I think the open neck is the cats pajamas in warmer weather. I worried that in another style with a crew neck, that the closure would always be flapping around when I wanted to ride with the zipper cracked.

I am happy with what I have.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I have the FXRG jacket, best jacket thus far
At last - someone with a brain :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I hate to tell you this, guys, but there is no way that any jacket that zips straight up the front is ever gonna be cool.

Sorry about that.

Really, really sorry if you ever bought one.

But it's just not a runner.

All real bikers wear double breasted jackets that zip up on a kind of a sexy curve, and leave the top open.

Wusses wear neck protection.

Take it from the Prince of Cool :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts