Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm on a 300 mile ride sunday. It's 75 degrees. A few wisps of white clouds in the air. Slight breeze. (eat your heart out Dave :nananana ) and so I'm sittin in a little town waiting for a car to pull up behind me, so the light will know I'm there and change. A few bikes rode by. And then a few more. Torwards the back of the pack was a guy on a snowmobile. But instead of skies, it had two wheels up front. Instead of a drive "belt" it had a single wheel in the back. Snowmobile was the closest thing I could relate to it. It was bright yellow, and I thought it read "trans -something " on the side.

Anybody have any ideas?

·
1,074 Posts
I've been seeing more of those around my haunts. Pretty damn slick and not too expensive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is a dealer in town that sells them. I test rode one and was terribly disappointed. The thing was slow and underpowered for it's weight. I found that parking wasn't so easy either due to it's width. I didn't think the $16,000 price tag was reasonable either.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Once was on a ride with one joining our group. Was weird. The thing seemed to take up much of the lane like a car. Didn't want to get too close. Great engine, it could scoot, but it didn't feel like a bike was riding with us. To be sure, it could be an option for someone looking for a three wheeler.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I saw one at a distance in Finland a few weeks ago and was wondering what it was. Thanks. Not something I could get into.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
I think it would be great for someone with physical disabilitys but besides that:stac:
Id like to see one flat tracking or hillclimbing!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I too have seen a few around WTF..
Thought they cost more tho.
Wouldn't mind giving one a spin up the mountain.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, that was it! I was thinking the decal said ? - am but now I'm sure it wasn't trans - am.

I was thinking it would be good/fun modified for off road use. Of course I'd probably just hurt myself on it.

Soak up those miles Dave. I've got to go to the dentist this afternoon, so I'll get in another 60 or so. Last night I was able to do about 50.

:woo

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,201 Posts
A few years back I seems like I saw some 3 wheel machines that used a junkyard front drive automobile engine, transaxle, steering, and suspension for the front and the motorcycle rider section did not have an engine, the rear wheel was unpowered, if you had a hankerin' to try a three wheel vehicle with 2 in front, that would be some real inexpensive components to start with, and ought to dig real hard on a hillclimb or off road vehicle.

Subaru's flat opposed engine sounds like a good candidate, you could probably make it a real low drive package while you were taking off a ton of stuff a motorcycle wouldn't have to have. If you cared for over-engineering, since the Subaru would have an output shaft for a set of rear drive wheels, you could probably use a big shaft drive bike chassis and make it all wheel drive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
heh, heh. An AWD three wheeler with a cycle seat and a 300h.p. turbo charged boxer engine on an off-road platform...good times fer sure.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,201 Posts
Found this picture to show how low it could be.
This was in some sort of rear drive car conversion.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Some years ago some guys in UK drove a coach and horses through the sidecar racing rules by cutting the rear end off of a Mini and fitting a single rear wheel. Took the chair boys a couple seasons to catch up with that thing :)

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My wife asked what I was doing with the paper. "Uh nothing" I replied, "Just looking for a used subaru."

Brr, can those gazes get chilly! :D

I GUESS I should pay off a toy or two before I start. :woo

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,201 Posts
These guys on that page were talking about using that Subaru engine in other vehicles, they pointed out that it is ridiculously wide, see the top of the valve cover in that picture. A trike built that way would at least have a very low and wide center of gravity.

If anybody ever gets the urge to thumb thru some 3 wheelers built this way, I did discover they are sometimes called reversed trikes.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,201 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
A kind of a geter done sorta video.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,201 Posts
A car like that, that can have all 4 wheels smoking all the time,
just shows there is always room for one more really important
automotible performance improvement system,
SUCTION!

Imagine some round hard plastic unit bevelled on all sides so it wouldn't get
hooked on any irregularities in the pavement, something about 2 feet in diameter,
suspended under the car from a sliding or accordion type coupling, and hooked
to a big blower in the back seat providing suction.

Using the specs from one of the better shop vacs on the Lowe's site,
that generates 60 inches WC, (in a water column) applied to a 2 foot diameter
suction area, that equals 980 lbs in increased traction pressure on the wheels without
any additional weight penalty in the car. A 2 foot sliding suction coupling between
the front wheels and again between the rear wheels would add nearly a ton of
added traction to the wheels without any penalty in mass.

I have for many years harbored the belief, that with sufficient suction,
sufficient traction and sufficient power, a car could handle so viciously
quickly that the driver would need a G-suit, just like a fighter pilot.

Mad scientist?
Who, me?

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I have for many years harbored the belief, that with sufficient suction,
sufficient traction and sufficient power, a car could handle so viciously
quickly that the driver would need a G-suit, just like a fighter pilot.

Mad scientist?
Who, me?
Formula 1 cars do exactly that. Their ground effects suction is such that if you could construct a road that went upside down a F1 car at speed would be able to drive it without falling off. Like an upside down bridge.

Imagine a car driving a Mobius strip. What a difference that would make to circuit design :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts