Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to this site but not new to Harley, i work for a dealer as a tech in southern PA and just got approved to buy any bike i want, i am also going to be hopefully building it as well and i want something that will make the most horsepower. i know that is a dyna but I'm a softail guy. so i guess what I'm asking is how much hp does a B motor rob?

·
Maddog
394 Posts
I've heard anywhere between 5-8hp. Maybe Scott or ProDrag can probably give you a
better estimate, but that's what I been told.

I'm a softtail guy as well, love the looks (I love power too), but I'm willing to give
up a few ponies for a bike that looks clean and sharp. Besides, I have a machine
shop with a flowbench and valve seat machine so getting 5-8hp back is no big deal
for me. I can outrun Dynas all day long with S/T. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can live with losing 5hp for street use but 10 is just a little to much, i do know tire size has a big part in it as well, from the 240 of a breakout to a 180 or so of a wide glide, so I'm kind of stuck, what setup do you run matt?

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
when i had my dyno in illinois & indiana,i never saw a big hp losses on simular builds betwen B and rubber mounted motors,no where near 10.i wouldnt sweat it to much.if you want evey bit of HP/TQ,take the balancers out and have your f/w`s re-balanced

·
Maddog
394 Posts
I can live with losing 5hp for street use but 10 is just a little to much, i do know tire size has a big part in it as well, from the 240 of a breakout to a 180 or so of a wide glide, so I'm kind of stuck, what setup do you run matt?
I'm running the factory 300 on the back. Stock 88ci: soon to be 95"
with Andrews cams and my own ported heads, Mikuni HSR42, and a
D&D FatCat 2-1.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Welcome Brian from a fellow PA'er. Where at in Southern PA are you? I'm also located in South Central PA.

As far as bikes go, I'm stick with what you like. If you like ST's then go with that. If you get a dyna just for the performance area (albeit a small difference) then your gonna hate it. Stick with what you like.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
769 Posts
well if wanting as much power as you can get then theres no replacement for....a deep wallet :)

any motor has potential..doesnt matter what you buy as long as you got the money to build it to make good power

however the best starting block is going to come down to what size you want your motor to be...if wanting to go bigger then a 103 then theres no reason to buy a new bike that has a 103...buy an 88 inch because odds are you will be replaceing the crank and pistons anyways...with the money saved on an older bike you can put more into the motor...doesnt much matter how many miles are on it because you will be replacing all major components anyways

if you want a jaw dropping bike build it for rpm and horsepower...and for that go with the 06 model year, has the 7mm valve stems and better head from the get...bore it to 95" and spin her to 7k...the 88" motors have a shorter stroke and a long rod ratio...means they are suited better for high rpm and that is where big HP and small motors can be made....
horsepower is relative to how much air you can move in a given amount of time...this is why 600cc crotch rockets can make 100+hp easily...but you will give up TQ for it...

im here to tell you that you can get 120+hp from a 95" motor if built right...run it on pump gas all day and pretty much kill most any other harley at the track...unless you are running against a well built 113 or larger....but then you always have bragging rights that he needed a 113 to beat your 95... :)

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
well if wanting as much power as you can get then theres no replacement for....a deep wallet :)

any motor has potential..doesnt matter what you buy as long as you got the money to build it to make good power

however the best starting block is going to come down to what size you want your motor to be...if wanting to go bigger then a 103 then theres no reason to buy a new bike that has a 103...buy an 88 inch because odds are you will be replaceing the crank and pistons anyways...with the money saved on an older bike you can put more into the motor...doesnt much matter how many miles are on it because you will be replacing all major components anyways

if you want a jaw dropping bike build it for rpm and horsepower...and for that go with the 06 model year, has the 7mm valve stems and better head from the get...bore it to 95" and spin her to 7k...the 88" motors have a shorter stroke and a long rod ratio...means they are suited better for high rpm and that is where big HP and small motors can be made....
horsepower is relative to how much air you can move in a given amount of time...this is why 600cc crotch rockets can make 100+hp easily...but you will give up TQ for it...

im here to tell you that you can get 120+hp from a 95" motor if built right...run it on pump gas all day and pretty much kill most any other harley at the track...unless you are running against a well built 113 or larger....but then you always have bragging rights that he needed a 113 to beat your 95... :)
OK now I'm listening!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
488 Posts
Turbocharge the beast! Thats the only real way to do it! (mind you i am biased)

·
Maddog
394 Posts

Just make sure to leave the 88CI sticker on the aircleaner! :know

·
Registered
38,950 Posts
I'd think about a sleeper 88" Sportster.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I'd think about a sleeper 88" Sportster.
How does one go about crafting an 88" sporty? I have heard a lot about them but what's the scoop? New engine or can the stocker be modified up to that (I doubt...)
How does an 88" physically fit? That's a big size difference from a 73.5cu in.

Questions!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome Brian from a fellow PA'er. Where at in Southern PA are you? I'm also located in South Central PA.

As far as bikes go, I'm stick with what you like. If you like ST's then go with that. If you get a dyna just for the performance area (albeit a small difference) then your gonna hate it. Stick with what you like.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I'm from chambersburg

98DARKHORSE, you have my full undivided attention, what all would it take to build an 88 to make 120+ ponies? Educate me if you will please

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i talked to my head of sales at my dealership and there is a carburated 03 wide glide that i can get a smoking deal on, but if i cant make 120hp with mainly SE parts then ill have to buy a 96 or 103 and put a 113 kit in it, ive ridden 100 bikes with 60-80 hp and i am so bored with that i cant take it and would never be able to ride like that daily

·
Registered
769 Posts
well you go about makeing 120 hp on a 95ci motor the same way i made 100hp on an 80ci evo...spin it...luckily the 88ci based motor has a longer rod and a shorter stroke then the 80 evo...this means you can spin it higher and make more HP

you may not have arm ripping tq down low but you will pull like crazy up top...the key will be the head flow and correct valve size... if trying to run all SE parts then the issue will be the SE heads...you will be better off spending the money and haveing your stocker ported...a 1.94 valve is capable of producing 120hp...but the rest of the motor has to be set up to do so as well...i would use the SE 260 cam (again if insisiting on SE parts) not sure if you are going carbed or injection but if carb i would look into the 48mm mikuni...if injection id run 50mm tb and whatever injector flows enough to support 120hp

and if it was me i would install new H-beam rods lighten ballance the crank weld it...11:1 compression (yes it will run on pump gas) also look into lifters...im running hyrdaulic lifters from johnson hy-lift...ive pushed my motor to 7k and no issues...you will need to push your motor to 7k as well..so i suggest johnson hy-lift they have a high performance lifter that works well

also pushrods....i suggest tappered 1 piece..most places love pushing the adjustable but tapered 1 piece are pretty light i got my from johnson engeneering they will custom make any length for you

also make sure your airfilter will flow enough cfm and not choke the motor...woods makes filter kits that will make sure you get enough air...also the exhaust will be crucial...2:1 work great as long as the length and header size are correct...a thunderheader should get you the power needed i really dont care for the D&D they tend to work better for lower RPM motors

the head will need to flow in the area of 245cfm @ 28

also look into beehive springs with titanium retainers...the lighter you can keep the valve train the better...as well as hallow stem valves ferrea makes them

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the SE beehive valve springs it says that they only support up to a .585" valve lift but the SE260 cam is a .609" lift, will that work or should i look for different springs or cams?

Will a SE mikuni 51mm carb work with this setup as well?

I'm guessing the lower rocker box is going to need to be machined to fit the bew springs and valves correct?

And the SE pistons are 11.1-1, which i was told will not run pump gas?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts