Harley Davidson Forums banner

What to buy??

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Kevin 
#1 ·
Been riding since turning 16 in 1969. Started on dirt bikes and liked that alot. Rode some scramblers after that and stopped riding in the early 1990's. Bought a Bonneville in 04 and now looking to ride farther. In between the HD Road King Classic and the Dyna Fat Bob. Didn't even think the FB was in the running until I took one for a test ride. Thinking out loud here a bit..like the fact that the RKC comes with all you need - removable windshield and bags. FB is nude and I would need to add items. That FB rips like a roadster and I liked that. Any guidance from you folks would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome!

Don't discount the V-Rods. If roadster feel is important... they have it.

You need to consider other things. Are you planning to tour? RKC is the way yo go. You need a bar hopper, then the FB. 2 up riding or solo?

They really are the same engine, so a small tweak and the RKC will give you more "rip".

Good luck in your decision.

#10 ·
If I were to be honest I initially went in to check out the V Night Rod but Cyn is like 50 sumthin and 2 up wasn't an option for her..
Her knees would have kept my ears warm but I couldn't convince her it would be comfortable..
Was one sweet machine
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto....c0.m245&_trkparms=72:727|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I think in the end though I made the right decision with the FB as it is versatile and I can morph from cruise to cool in 10 min..
In the end
Whatever you choose you won't be disappointed.

#12 ·
Well when you dont know how to or have the ability sure.or your to old and just tired of it.just dish out the cash.
But if you enjoy wrenching or deatailing you bike instead of just bolting on factory crap or just and actually put some thought into your sled to really customize it to you style and make it more user friendly to your needs than thats not the bike for you
I think just jumping on the bike and turning the key is great but it gets boring and I dont trust anyone working on my sleds at all because your life is in there hands!!

My bike 1 kick all the time!!!everytime because I did it not some snot nosed kid pulling a paycheck...

Jap bikes are pretty much the same hit the button and go and have someone change your oil once in a while BORING...

I had a sweet porshe about two years ago got bored with it because never had to wrench on it.just oil and filters Boring!
It was a 1980 928 v8 with nitros talk about flying but like I said never had to do much to it..To me equipment like that has no SOUL...

#14 ·
I don't mind mechanically boring some times. Nothing worse that getting ready for a nice ride on a great day and have a mechanical failure end it early.

The V-Rod is waaaay beyond "bolt on crap" you referred to. Check out:
http://1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56023&highlight=frank
The whole thead follows a very radical build.

To:

#13 ·
What to Buy??

Thanks for the input all. Been tossing it around and think that it will be the Road King Classic. Have no plans of letting the Bonneville go. It is a great city ride and splitting lanes is a breeze (shaves commute time). That RKC look is just so friggin hot.

As for wrenching bikes. I did that when all I could afford were bikes that needed wrenching just to be road ready. Back in those days I belonged to an auto modifiers club - so tools and space were always available. Not so into that anymore so I'll be keeping those mechanic paychecks coming in. Feed a cold and don't starve the economy.

PS. I don't care what kind of bike a guy or gal rides, it is still better than driving a car.

Happy trails.

Kevin

#15 ·
I done done it:

How time flies. Thanks for the input on my old post, all. I ended up buying the Road King Classic (deep turquoise/antique white) in February. Great bike to ride. I still own the Bonneville and take it out periodically, but will probably sell it. I just really like the comfort, mass and response of the HD. The looks you get riding a beauty like this doesn't hurt either!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.