Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

I was wondering if there is a basic list somewhere for the tools needed to do DIY maintenance etc. on my 2001 Sportster (just purchased) and where I might find it? I've got some tools already but I'm sure I don't have all that I need and I definitely don't know the sizes of torx heads and wrenches etc.

Lastly, what kind of lifter or scissor stand do you recommend and where do you suggest I get it? I should mention that I don't have much storage space for this. The Black Widow scissor center stand caught my eye.

Thanks!

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
"Search" is your friend. There's been a bunch of threads here about tool lists already. Look around and you'll find them, pics too !

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Basic SAE (American) sockets & wrenches. Allen Wrenchs & Torx
(Sears sells folding sets that work ok). Learn the difference between #25 and #27 Torx, they're so close that you will strip out a #27 screw using a #25 bit. The funny looking male torx head bolts are actual SAE 12 point sockets. You get better value (IMO) buying a good quality individual tool, than a bargain 100 pc. set that has 93 tools you will never use. I've had 15 years of good service from my Red Craftsman lift, but there's lots of good ones out there.
The VERY best tool you can buy is the Harley Davidson Service Manual for your specific year/model bike.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
1st on the tool list should be the H-D service manual for your specific model H-D.
Near the back by the index in the service manuals are the tools specific to your model besides the basic tool kits from Craftsman, SnapOn, Harbor Freight etc..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great feedback, thank you all! I found the service manual for my bike online and there's a harbor freight down the road from me. Fun is a comin'

·
Registered
275 Posts
i love my harbor freight lift. If you are looking at the lift check around and you can find a coupon for $299 and change the wheel chock on it. Best thing in the world for service and cleaning a bike

Attachments

·
Registered
42,143 Posts
Great feedback, thank you all! I found the service manual for my bike online and there's a harbor freight down the road from me. Fun is a comin'
I hope by online you mean a place to purchase the hard copy online.

Those soft copies are unauthorized copies.
The real deal is $45 ish from various online dealers and very much worth it.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I hope by online you mean a place to purchase the hard copy online.

Those soft copies are unauthorized copies.
The real deal is $45 ish from various online dealers and very much worth it.
I have both hard and soft, the soft copy is invaluable and I wish Harley would sell it to me that way. I can print what I need and it doesn't matter if I get my grimey prints all over it...

·
Registered
42,143 Posts
True, I have a flatbed scanner for that kind of thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts