Harley Davidson Forums banner

What would cause this?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  craze 
#1 ·
I have just returned from a 2100km road trip, and something weird happened to my bike along the way. I was travelling at about 110km/h on a windy back road, when all of a sudden, a huge plume of white smoke started coming out the exhaust, so thick that I couldn't see the road behind me. I started to worry, and pulled over into a clearing about 1/2 mile or so up the road, thinking I had blown a ring or something, but by the time I had pulled over, the smoke had completely stopped. I checked everything out, revved it a few times, and not even a sign of any more smoke. So, I got back on the road, and the rest of the trip was uneventful, with not even a hint of smoke for the next 600km back home. Never experienced that before.

The bike is an '86 FXR with stock 80ci EVO motor.

#3 ·
That sounds like a big chunk of water went thru the cylinders. White smoke is what happens when fogging the cylinders with water mist to loosen combustion chamber carbon buildup.

Wow Schmidty, I haven't heard anyone mentioning that since the 60's. It works good too.

#5 ·
One of the guys that rides to the lunches with us had a breather tube pinch one day. It smoked really bad, but of course, it didn't cure itself.

Reactions: HoundDogFXR
#7 ·
Usually water gives white steam, I bet the op said white, but it was really blue,(oil smoke) more likely, as where would the water come from? The oil could come from almost anywhere.
Water from the gas tank accumulates in the float bowl (a blob) then gets sucked thru the main jet all at once. Just guessing at this tho.
OP stated the symptom has cleared itself up.

#10 ·
Help me out here, trying to learn from all of you that know way more than me. If he gulped a bunch of water would he have noticed a considerable change in performance?

#11 ·
If he gulped a bunch of water would he have noticed a considerable change in performance?
If HE gulped a bunch of water, he would not have noticed a considerable change in performance, but...

He might have noticed a considerable amount of bloating....

Reactions: HoundDogFXR
#13 ·
oxygenated fuel over time will separate the water will sink to bottom of tank and fuel will float above it try this: fill tall test tube w/1 part water 9 parts gas shake well let stand in a min or 2 u will see more water than u started with; overnight next day the water is MUCH more than 1/10th [the 1/10th water we use is attracting/help separating water in the fuel] if u siphon fuel off top u have un-oxygenated fuel!! his carb sucked up a ball of water floating in gas....... .... craze

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.