Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want more power. I have a 80" evo and it runs great. It is just to slow for me. Not really to slow just not enough power. If I go with a motor swap which motor? S&S 111", S&S 124", Jims 120"-131"-135" I am confused. I want a sick motor but I also love to ride and don't want to make the wrong choice. I even looked into big bore kits but after everything I am close to an engine swap. I would love a motor to make me crap my pants but at the same time be tame enough to cruise through town and go on long trips 4-8 hours.

So if it were your bike (1996 Fatboy) and were going with an engine swap which one would you want? S&S 111, 124, or JIMS 120, 131, 135?

I am pulling the trigger soon. I just don't want to regret my decision.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was in the same position as you some year or so ago and opportunity(read reduced price) for JIMS120 jumped up and went for it. Had Big Bore Kit 95" in the Dyna Super Glide Custom and it was much improvement over the 88, but wanted more. Well, the JIMS120 is definitely more in all respects. Several fellow riders warned me that the JIMS120 and other similar big engines were not dependable and created problems. With some 10,000 plus miles on the bike w/ the 120 have not had any problems(knock on wood.) I ride pretty much every day be it short or long rides and both city and Interstate. I do not take it to the "track" or scream away from stoplights, just normal riding. Will the bike accelerate in
5th gear(roll on) from 70mph to speeds above the 100mph reading quickly, hell yes it will and wants to pull you off the seat while doing it. This has only occurred very few times in trying to see just what the bike will do and will add that I have never had the throttle wide open on any occasion, you probably do not want to go there. Had the option of going with the 131 set up at the time, but was advised against it by a highly regarded HD tech rep. Just his thoughts, but he felt the JIMS120 has all anyone could want performance wise.
Last winter he tore down a 120 used on the drag strip and had made some 60 plus runs in the season and found no issues with the engine, good to go. I don't have the increased capacity oil pump/hydraulic adjuster set up at this time, but believe I will do that in near future just for peace of mind. The engine has more valve train noise than normal but am told that is to be expected. Have manual compression releases and if you don't use them on a regular basis, will wipe out the starter in time. It will start without the releases, but it strains that starter and I make it a practice to push the button each time I shut the bike down so as to not forget in restarting. I'm running V&H's Straight Shots, SERT, SEAC, plus there was some head work(not sure what the tech did, but whatever he did works) and had the fork oil changed to heavier grade to give a more stability. Might mention that the bike does not seem to give off anymore heat than the 95 did?? Would think the S&S set up would be equally as good, perhaps even better??, but I am well satisfied with the JIMS120 to date.
Last July rode from Charleston, WV to Ottawa, Canada and over east to Maine, down the coast and back home. Did not run full tilt for hour after hour, couple hours at a time, rest a while, and on and on, did fine. Supposedly long hours at high speeds will damage these engines?? My bike only weighs some 600 odd pounds and putting out 126hp it will bring a smile to your face in short order if that's what you want. This "thing" may blow sky high today when I ride, but so far it's been one hell of a ride in all respects.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I want more power. I have a 80" evo and it runs great. It is just to slow for me. Not really to slow just not enough power. If I go with a motor swap which motor? S&S 111", S&S 124", Jims 120"-131"-135" I am confused. I want a sick motor but I also love to ride and don't want to make the wrong choice. I even looked into big bore kits but after everything I am close to an engine swap. I would love a motor to make me crap my pants but at the same time be tame enough to cruise through town and go on long trips 4-8 hours.

So if it were your bike (1996 Fatboy) and were going with an engine swap which one would you want? S&S 111, 124, or JIMS 120, 131, 135?

S&S 124, and bump the compression a tick, with some head work and you can have 145/145 within reach.:nod
Scott

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Man would I love to do something like this as well. Don't really need it. My '12 street glide with 255 cams will do all I really need it to now. But I'm sure I would have a way bigger smile with the bigger motor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Instructor:
Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like you have one awesome set up. I heard a lot of the same things you probably did about going that route. After hearing your story I'm more at ease.

Hillsidecycleco:
This is the route I was most likely taking but there are a ton of 124" options from S&S I have no clue which is best for me. The price ranges drastacly as well. I just needed to hear from a few people that have similar set ups. I'd like to get an idea of what i'm in for power wise and maintenance wise.

prodrag1320
Thanks again for helping me out. My buddy has that Ultima 127" in his chopper. That thing is an animal! I will look into pricing on those.

Thanks for all your help. Please if anyone one else is running something similar please let me know your thoughts and your set up. I don't mind a big bore kit but if I am in the range of a new motor I think I'd rather just go really big and be done with it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The S&S 111 is a great option for you.. The 111 will be a extremely smooth engine in the solid mount chassis that you have ( square bore to stroke). Its not a barn burner like the 124 however it is a very snappy engine out the hole and tq on them is in the 120+ range Hp is in the upper teens to low 120 range ( we have install many of these very nice engine) and it really hits very hard and fast. Cost on the 111 is less than the larger engines. In frame service is much easier ( should you have to do that) killer warranty.

Based on what IGN system you order you will gain a year warranty 124 is 2 years with IST the 111 is 3 years. Upgrades to clutch etc are going to be needed on either build.

Cost you will save 1300 bucks or based on retail prices.

The 124 is a killer engine but one crate engine to the next from what we have seen you are about 10 down on tq and 12-15 on hp.

Your call as you are spending the cash.. Just another option to think about.. Good luck on the new engine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GMRPERFORMANCE:
Thanks for your input. I read up on that motor and talked to a few people I know who have it. They all said its great. Said basically what you did. I really like the reviews BUT I am one stubborn Irish/German nut. To me if its only $1,000 - $1,500 more I want the biggest baddest motor I can get. Just as long as the reliability is there. Basically I am looking for people to talk me out of the big motor. I need to hear "Don't do it!" Or "You will hate it! It's a grenade waiting to blow". So far I've heard nothing but good things.

Either way I go what would you suggest for a clutch? I really don't know what I'm in for so every little detail helps. I do respect and take in what everyone has to say. That's how I usually make my Di al decisions. Oil cooler, oil pumps anything along these lines will help. All info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just to add a bit to what I earlier posted about my JIMS 120 set up, shop did install heavy duty clutch(HD race??) and have noticed now that my left hand/arm muscles are bigger than my right hand!! That thing is stout to hold in at light/stopped, but no slippage in any gear and am told will give good service. Wife and I rode today and at speeds of say less than 60-65 vibration is there, but above those speeds very smooth and pretty much vibration free. She does not ride often but with the added weight(135lbs++) in 5th gear the roll on is impressive. Never a falter and seems like there is no end to ability to just keep on pulling. Negatives of the overall set up would include noise over extended rides from those V&H's Straight Shots and it will impact on your hearing. Some suggest to wear ear plugs if not using full cover helmet. At 70yrs. old not worried about losing some of my hearing, pretty much deaf from shooting all those years. The bike is not "gentle" as it once was and it requires you to use good judgment on just how fast you are going and how quickly you can get there. I have to make conscious effort to not twist that throttle more than is needed. Don't do light to light drag races(it probably could do that??) but from 3rd gear on the bike wants to literally pull you off the seat. MPG will drop significantly from low 40mpg to low 30mpg. If you proceed with the project and whatever "big motor" you go with you will never want to go back to a normal factory set up. Recently rode a friends HD Softail Heritage Classic and one beautiful bike, super smooth, comfy, handled OK, but no get up and go. Also took a ride on Victory Cruiser and again, nice looking bike, smooth as silk, very comfortable seat, handled well, but no get up and go. Had thought about a V Rod and rode one as well and it has plenty of power, AFTER you build the revs. Not comfy, turning radius requires large parking lot it seemed, not really the set up for passenger it seemed to me, but it is smoother than bike I have. Torque curve whole different world than the one I have as well. Not condemning the V Rod but just a different "animal." Rode one of the new "sport" versions of the Gold Wing FX6B?? and reminded me of a two wheel automobile due to switches/buttons all over the place. Performance not bad, but again just an entirely different approach to motorcycles. Bottom line to all of this is that once you go with one of the "monster motors" and adjust to it's ways all the others will seem tame to you. As with all motorcycles you have to use good judgment in riding, but having north of 120 hp in a motorcycle demands close attention to what you are doing. There is a whole new world waiting out there for you.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Just to add a bit to what I earlier posted about my JIMS 120 set up, shop did install heavy duty clutch(HD race??) and have noticed now that my left hand/arm muscles are bigger than my right hand!! That thing is stout to hold in at light/stopped, but no slippage in any gear and am told will give good service. Wife and I rode today and at speeds of say less than 60-65 vibration is there, but above those speeds very smooth and pretty much vibration free. She does not ride often but with the added weight(135lbs++) in 5th gear the roll on is impressive. Never a falter and seems like there is no end to ability to just keep on pulling. Negatives of the overall set up would include noise over extended rides from those V&H's Straight Shots and it will impact on your hearing. Some suggest to wear ear plugs if not using full cover helmet. At 70yrs. old not worried about losing some of my hearing, pretty much deaf from shooting all those years. The bike is not "gentle" as it once was and it requires you to use good judgment on just how fast you are going and how quickly you can get there. I have to make conscious effort to not twist that throttle more than is needed. Don't do light to light drag races(it probably could do that??) but from 3rd gear on the bike wants to literally pull you off the seat. MPG will drop significantly from low 40mpg to low 30mpg. If you proceed with the project and whatever "big motor" you go with you will never want to go back to a normal factory set up. Recently rode a friends HD Softail Heritage Classic and one beautiful bike, super smooth, comfy, handled OK, but no get up and go. Also took a ride on Victory Cruiser and again, nice looking bike, smooth as silk, very comfortable seat, handled well, but no get up and go. Had thought about a V Rod and rode one as well and it has plenty of power, AFTER you build the revs. Not comfy, turning radius requires large parking lot it seemed, not really the set up for passenger it seemed to me, but it is smoother than bike I have. Torque curve whole different world than the one I have as well. Not condemning the V Rod but just a different "animal." Rode one of the new "sport" versions of the Gold Wing FX6B?? and reminded me of a two wheel automobile due to switches/buttons all over the place. Performance not bad, but again just an entirely different approach to motorcycles. Bottom line to all of this is that once you go with one of the "monster motors" and adjust to it's ways all the others will seem tame to you. As with all motorcycles you have to use good judgment in riding, but having north of 120 hp in a motorcycle demands close attention to what you are doing. There is a whole new world waiting out there for you.
This is deep man!!! I'm inspired!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok no issues 124 it is.. Nothing wrong with that in any way.

S&S 124 with a tad bit of head work you are ready to make power well into the 140/140 range.. really a great engine, most would tell you the same thing They stand behind there products, killer warranty

Dyno sheet is off the new style T/C engine however they are making less power than older trans due to the cruise drive trans. Just one that I grabbed off my office computer. I have many more that are EVO, old style 124 new style 124. Power wise they all rock..

Out the crate you are looking at low 130s on avg.

small :nos kit. will always add to the extreme factory as well.. ( S&S will still warranty the engine provided you dont go lean with NOS TURBO or S/C) ask Jims about that :DeadHorse:

Clutch Bandit or Primo

Attachments

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

We are just up the road from you a bit.
Give us a holler and we can go over some particulars that will insure you will establish what your looking for.:thumbsup
Scott

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, sorry to bring up an old post but I thought it would be better than starting a new one about the same subject.

Having said that; after months of research and comparing options I came up with this. Zach from Kendall Johnson Custom's is building me a S&S 124" monster. Looks like the combo will be S&S 124" motor, Zach's head work, custom cam, and Zach's ignition. He is going to beef up my clutch to handle the HP/TQ and swap out the belt to a chain. Lastly I'm going with a D&D Boarzilla 2-1 exhaust. I just send in the down payment and the motor should be at their shop in a couple of weeks. I will post numbers and pictures soon as the build is done. Thank you to everyone who chimed in. Your input did help me make my decision.

I had my bike Dyno'd at Laconia and it came back with 72HP and 80TQ. It is a 80" evo with a mikuni 42mm carb, arlen ness big sucker stage 2 air filter, andrews ev27 cam, and a vance and hines chambered staggered exhaust. I am hoping those numbers will about double with the new set up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It'll be fun, that's for sure!
LOL... I sure hope so.

I am hoping for some staind undies after my first ride. Anything else I just won't be happy.

"I Wanna Go Fast!"

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just found my Dyno Sheet from when I was in Laconia this year. I posted it in the Sticky but I thought it would be fun to post it here as well. Soon as my new motor is installed I'll post those numbers to compare...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts