Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful Saturday here in central Virginia. Perfect day to get out and ride. Up early and on the road before 7 am. I take a general heading towards the western part of the state. BRP seems like a great idea. Follow a couple of my favorite roads to get there and all should be right with the world.

Except, I failed to factor in the 17-year cicada issue. For those that are not aware, we on the east coast are experiencing a phenomenon that only happens every 17 years. The cicada spends nearly its entire life below ground and only emerges after 17 years for a few short weeks before it dies. During the emergence time, they create a buzzing sound that can be heard over vast areas and fly around generally making a nuisance of themselves.

So my Saturday begins oh so nice; just like I had planned. That is until I start to see large flying insects crossing haphazardly in front of me. They are everywhere. I am riding down the road at 50 mph while my upper body and head are violently ducking and weaving so much it looks like I have Tourette’s Syndrome. While I am sure that my erratic behavior is hideous to look at, I am pretty successful at evading these bugs. But not all of them. The few that do make contact all seem to get wedged between my helmet strap and my face. Did you know that these things are sticky? And not all of them died right away either. Before going to the afterlife, a couple of the bugs vibrated their wings against my cheek, just in front of my ear. Talk about getting the willies! I couldn’t get the bike stopped or the helmet yanked off quick enough.

Fortunately, the bugs were not an issue on the BRP, thank god! Spent a couple of hours enjoying the beauty of nature. Too soon though, I had to return home. Since I don’t like to travel the same roads twice in one day, I chose a more southern route home hoping that the cicadas would not be as much of an issue. WRONG!!! They were worse! My windshield is coated with bug goo. I feel as though my face is pocked with indentations from insect impacts. Worst of all, my shoulders and neck are aching and cramping from all of my ducking and weaving antics. Truth be told, I’m ready to take a shower and go to bed.

Couple of shots from BRP and the object of my disdain

Attachments

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
Hell,our grasshoppers are 5-6 inches long here in Florida. They draw blood when you get hit with just one,imagine riding thru a swarm. Almost knock you off your Scoot.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I got blasted by what I think was a Junebug out in west TX back in 84' on my GpZ 1100 running about 80 on I`10. Hit me in the right shoulder below my collar bone. Nearly took me out right then and there!

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
17 years? When I lived in Maryland, the cicada came out every year. First year there, I heard them and thought wow it's the 17 year cycle. Then every year after, the cicada came out too. I realized it's only that years batch that was asleep for 17 years. Next year, the next batch that was asleep for 17 years came out. Unless there's a different cicada that comes out every year, I don't know.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ Yep there is a species of cicada that comes out every year, usually late summer. They are completely green and make a hell of a racket with their chirping as well. The local media has alerted us to the 17-year phenomenon with this particular species: Brood II cicada. Some people even claim it is more like a locust. I really could care less about the damn thing, because in reality, it's just another bug to dodge on the highway.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Good read, thanks for sharing.
Not ALL of the cicada's are on the same cycle. There are some around every year. It's when the majority hatch that is a problem.

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
When I was a kid, I would go around the neighborhood with a home made sling shot that I made from a coat hanger and rubber bands and shoot them out of trees. I actually got pretty good at it.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
When I was a kid, I would go around the neighborhood with a home made sling shot that I made from a coat hanger and rubber bands and shoot them out of trees. I actually got pretty good at it.
Well, that's better than deep-frying'em and dippin'em in chocolate....:bigbarf

·
Banned
482 Posts
We get the damn things every year here. But the bug that surprised me is a dragon fly. Got hit by one of those just below my knee and I thought I was going to pass out. Left a nice bruised welt that took for ever to go away. Only know it was a dragon fly because it bounced up and into my lap. You couldn't tell it hit anything. In prefect shape except not moving. So watch out for them critters. Duck or swerve.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Last summer while riding at night ran through couple patches big bugs, don't know what they were ?

Going down highway they were even hitting the side of me and bike..

Sucked I was plastered with bug stuff!! only thing about riding at night, they aim for headlight!!:laugh:eek:uttahere:

·
Señor Member
19,600 Posts
Great story, Prez. Lot's of laughs. But don't worry, we're not laughing at you, we're...

No, we're laughing at you. Sorry. :laugh

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I got hit by a dragon fly once right between the eyes back before there were hemet laws
that dammed thing just about knocked me out I had to stop the bike and recompose myself

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
what was your route to and from the BRP Prez? been thinking about that trip but do not want to endure all that.

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
Hell, them things don't even begin to compare to the bugs down here. Most of them eat rocks and wear body armor.
All joking aside, I have seen cars get dented by the bugs in this area.

Great pics too.

·
Guitarslinger
3,316 Posts
we went thru the swarms 2 years ago in Nashville. Ended up with them stuck everywhere.

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
Twice in my years of riding I have run through a swarm of honey bees.

No windshield either time. Good thing I'm not allergic to them.

Add the goo to the stings to the face and it sucked big time!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts