Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of helmet are you wearing?
Who ever you are please vote now.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Good poll! Strong opinions on this subject :)

Used to wear a half helmet on the H-D, and a full face on the dual sport and sport bike. Decided this year to go full face always.

That said, totally support the right of everyone to wear whatever they want, if at all. On the head that is :)

Have always wondered what a 3/4 is like but don't feel like spending the $$$ to find out.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I wear a 3/4 in the cold months and 1/2 when it's hot. However, I have been seriously considering a full face. I've tried them and feel incredibly claustrophobic in them. I guess it's something you get used to.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wear a 3/4 in the hot months and a full face when cold but I just ordered this flip up full face helmet and with modern materials and will also try it year round.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
That's a nice lookin lid. I like the angular detail.

Just been wearing this one for a couple of months.
Best cheaper ($215) helmet I have owned
I don't find a full face helmet an encumbrance,
I wear ear plugs to hold down the wind roar anyway,
it is less tiring and allows me to concentrate,
full coverage helps with that too.

Attachments

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
duplicate

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Just been wearing this one for a couple of months.
Best cheaper ($215) helmet I have owned
I don't find a full face helmet an encumbrance,
I wear ear plugs to hold down the wind roar anyway,
it is less tiring and allows me to concentrate,
full coverage helps with that too.
I wear the same helmet. HJC is the only brand that fits my melon shaped and huge head.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
I wear the same helmet. HJC is the only brand that fits my melon shaped and huge head.
Me too. I read the review on this helmet and ordered one, my last helmet was also an HJC and it was XXL so that's what I ordered. When I got it it didn't fit, it was so tight I had ridges on my forehead from some hard edging, I tried to order an XXXL but they said in this style, the AC12 I think, they didn't make XXXL but did in a cheaper helmet, so I ordered one, but before it arrived this one broke in and fits ok now, so I have a XXXL I've never worn.
How's a helmet break in and fit looser? Obviously the padding, but...

·
1,074 Posts
I have a HD full face that I picked up last winter for cold riding, normally wear half helmet when it's warm. Rode in to work yesterday a.m. and my jaw was killing me! I had a hell of a headache from the helmet squishing my jawbone. Guess my face got fatter over the year but I gotta do something to push the foam in a bit. Damn thing is XXL and was $275 so I gotta make it work.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I wear a half-shell Shoei on the Barge, and a full-face Suomy Spec1R on anything else.

·
Steve
262 Posts
Half non DOT on the Harley and nothing when riding in a state with no helmet laws. Full face on the Ducati.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
I have a HD full face that I picked up last winter for cold riding, normally wear half helmet when it's warm. Rode in to work yesterday a.m. and my jaw was killing me! I had a hell of a headache from the helmet squishing my jawbone. Guess my face got fatter over the year but I gotta do something to push the foam in a bit. Damn thing is XXL and was $275 so I gotta make it work.
The XXL full face helmet I got from the dealer with an HD brand is an HJC,
so I'd guess the foam om yours can be compressed with regular use too.

Another XXL, that's 3 of us in in this thread alone, and 2, including me,
complaining that XXL fits too tight, at least at first.
Just another example that too much intelligence isn't necessarily a good thing.

I found that a slightly less expensive HJC model, the CL-15 was available in XXXL, the one I got on sale was only $112
and seems exactly equivalent to the nicer one except for the angular detail in the helmet's shape.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I just went and looked at mine and it is a XXXL. Dang, what a fat head.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use a half on a touring w/windshield and full face on everything else.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The XXL full face helmet I got from the dealer with an HD brand is an HJC,
so I'd guess the foam om yours can be compressed with regular use too.

Another XXL, that's 3 of us in in this thread alone, and 2, including me,
complaining that XXL fits too tight, at least at first.
Just another example that too much intelligence isn't necessarily a good thing.

I found that a slightly less expensive HJC model, the CL-15 was available in XXXL, the one I got on sale was only $112
and seems exactly equivalent to the nicer one except for the angular detail in the helmet's shape.

Add another to that XXL group. It sucks to have that much gray matter. LOL
As a point of interest...they don't carry XXL at Big Twin Aruba. Try riding all day wearing an "L" size. I looked like I was wearing half a walnut shell. geez
Even had people I didn't know laughing and taking pictures.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
Hey Gazoo-
I'll bet your 3XL helmet is the AC-12 model, and not the CL-15 ?
The AC-12 has got 3 raised ridges front to back on the top.
They told me the AC-12 wasn't available in 3XL

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have half helmets, 2/4 and full face. I use the one that fits the ride and the weather. On the RG when I want to have the communications going have the 3/4 and a full face riged up with headsets but most often will use the 3/4 unless the weather is bad then go with the full face.

I wear a half helmet on the NT on short hops but if going for a longer ride wear the full face since no wind screen (those bugs tend to hurt you know).

1 - 20 of 81 Posts