Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
weird member
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to guess, what would you say is the most popular softail model? I mean generally today, not "of all time".

Not counting any special version or anything like that (like, Heritage Springer vs Heritage standard, or Softail Standard vs Softail Custom where it is still basically the same lines). Maybe also not counting lines that didn't get much production.

My guess is the Heritage. Seems like everyone I run across on a [non-touring] softail is on a Heritage. Probably second might be Fatboy.

Not sure what my guess for least common softail would be.

·
weird member
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a Heritage last August, when viewing bike rally videos the Heritage is always there in high numbers.
Well, I also noticed when people ask questions for help with their softail bike on here, it's almost always some kind of Heritage or Fat Boy.

Got me curious. Personally, not a fan of the Heritage, but I much prefer the bobbed and chopper-esque looks. I can't stand the look of a big fender. That's also not to say you can't chop or bob a Heritage. But, to each their own, not trying to dump on the Heritage, I know a lot of people like that look.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd say the Sport Glide is one of the least. I actually like it. But everyone seems to either like it a lot, or hate the way it looks. I'm actually looking at converting the rear to a bagger rear though

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
I know when my Ultra Limited becomes too big/heavy for me, I will most likely downsize to a Softail Heritage Classic. I've already been eyeing them. In a perfect world, I'd have a Softail Heritage Classic, my Ultra Limited, and maybe even an Iron 883.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
FXST then the FXSTC in 08. (y)

·
weird member
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FXST then the FXSTC in 08. (y)
I think the FXST/C/B is pretty high on the list for popularity after the obvious Heritages. Not sure if it is more or less popular than Fat Boys though.

Then again, I think we need a list of the major softail variants, minus the dynas that are now softails as of 2018 or whenever.

So, we got:
• Heritage
• Fat Boy
• FXST/FXSTC/FXSTB (see, not even a good name to call it Softail Standard/Custom just isn't flashy, other than the "Night Train" version)
• Deluxe
• Deuce (thinking this might be least popular)
• Softail Slim
• Breakout

Am I missing any that aren't just cosmetic variants (IE only paint and chrome differences)? Also, was it just cosmetic for the Night Train, or were there other changes (like, rake or different fenders; something other than seat/bars/paint)?

I'm also not sure what of new models were new softails or carry over's from the dyna. Like, the Low Rider used to be a dyna model, right?

·
Old Skool
469 Posts
I'd think the Heritage would be #1. The older ones, not the new ones that dont look like a Heritage. I know a lot of folks that ride them.

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
I think the FXST/C/B is pretty high on the list for popularity after the obvious Heritages. Not sure if it is more or less popular than Fat Boys though.

Then again, I think we need a list of the major softail variants, minus the dynas that are now softails as of 2018 or whenever.

So, we got:
• Heritage
• Fat Boy
• FXST/FXSTC/FXSTB (see, not even a good name to call it Softail Standard/Custom just isn't flashy, other than the "Night Train" version)
• Deluxe
• Deuce (thinking this might be least popular)
• Softail Slim
• Breakout

Am I missing any that aren't just cosmetic variants (IE only paint and chrome differences)? Also, was it just cosmetic for the Night Train, or were there other changes (like, rake or different fenders; something other than seat/bars/paint)?

I'm also not sure what of new models were new softails or carry over's from the dyna. Like, the Low Rider used to be a dyna model, right?
They are all the same to me, the minor differences make it look like the MOCO makes a lot of bikes, slapping on a different set of handlebars, tins, wheels , or a CVO badge doesn't count as a new model to me.

Lowrider was a jazzed up Shovlehead Superglide , then Willie G jazzed it up some more and slapped a belt drive on a blacked out Lowrider and called it the Strugis. When the Superglide first came out , it had a boat tail seat/rear fender.....ugly as sin.

·
weird member
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are all the same to me, the minor differences make it look like the MOCO makes a lot of bikes, slapping on a different set of handlebars, tins, wheels , or a CVO badge doesn't count as a new model to me.
Same. Modifications aside (even extreme modifications like custom fenders), just going by major stock body look changes is how I would split families. Bars and seat to me a personalizations and trim and paint are cosmetic. But a drastically different set of fenders, whether it's mid or forward controls when stock, for sure different forks, stuff like that.

And sometimes, it's arguable that "X bike is just Y bike with a different fender". Most of them have identical basic structure if you're just looking at the frame and essential parts. So the line is kind of arbitrary.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Least popular? I'd say it's the Duece.

I owned a 2003 for 10 years. Really liked it. Almost never saw another one the road. Had a real tough time selling it, too.

·
weird member
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Least popular? I'd say it's the Duece.

I owned a 2003 for 10 years. Really liked it. Almost never saw another one the road. Had a real tough time selling it, too.
Yeah, that's the only one I actually had to look up to know what it looked like.

It didn't run very long, apparently. 1999-2005?

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you had to guess, what would you say is the most popular softail model? I mean generally today, not "of all time".

Not counting any special version or anything like that (like, Heritage Springer vs Heritage standard, or Softail Standard vs Softail Custom where it is still basically the same lines). Maybe also not counting lines that didn't get much production.

My guess is the Heritage. Seems like everyone I run across on a [non-touring] softail is on a Heritage. Probably second might be Fatboy.

Not sure what my guess for least common softail would be.
love a striped down Heritage... no bags too and Apes. My least favorite is a Duce! Just don’t care for them. I’ve had several Fatboys too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts