Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I wonder the same thing. Why exactly does Harley keep all their new model year stuff so close-hold? I mean, I understand why they keep projects under development secret - everyone does that. But here we are, only a few weeks from the dealer show, and you can find nothing about '08 online besides rumos and speculation, and those have a spectacular record of being wrong. How many years have "people in the know" been predicting a Revo-powered bagger now?

The best I've done is the list of colors that will be available on existing models, but the dealerships say they "aren't allowed" to show me their '08 paint chip book! I mean, come on, paint chips! Let alone new models, options, which bikes will be CVOs, etc.

Contrast this with, for example, Victory - they've been pushing news about the Vision for months now.

I dunno, I just can't figure out exactly what the MoCo thinks it gains by keeping everything so hush-hush. Seems to me like at least letting some news slip to generate buzz would be helpful.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Good thoughts and question. H-D certainly does keep things well under wraps, as does Honda.

Seems the larger a manufacturer is, the more they try to control the flow of information. I think one reason is they want people to buy their existing stock and live/ride in the present. Smaller makes tend to "leak" news of upcoming models to "freeze" certain buyers so they won't wander to the competition. When a buyer is loyal to a manufacturer, like many are to H-D, they don't have to worry many will abandon ship, though some might.

Another reason big manufacturers seem to have a lid on things, my guess is, 3rd party suppliers signing confidentiality agreements, don't want to risk the wrath and loss of business from a big customer (H-D, Honda) by telling many of the "solid disk wheels" they are making for an upcoming Harley.

Then there is the downight, major pre-announcement of Victory's Tourer, months and months in advance... as you note. Small manufacturer strategy to keep prospective buyers from buying anything until their product is available. Milwaukee just doesn't have to worry about this. The rewards of earned loyalty, and not letting the competition know what they are up to.

Related, some smaller makes display their concept bikes at trade shows to gauge press and enthusiast reaction... Ducati does this regularly and if the reaction is positive they announce production. H-D even did this in Europe with the liquid cooled Sportster, but does anyone know if they are going forward with it?

Anyway, I ramble. An interesting question.

·
1,074 Posts
Not sure but since you mention color. My Sis-In-Laws boyfriend wants a white Street Glide. Any info?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The '08 Street Glides will be available in White Gold Pearl - it's the white that has sort of a golden sheen to it when you look at it in the sunlight.

Heh...it's been years since I heard about the Osborne Effect, but it may be that same principle that drives HD's secrecy. Still, I think the reverse effect can also be true - customers not buying because they don't know what will be coming soon.

For example, I'm in the market for a Street Glide at the moment. The only reason I haven't already bought is that I don't know what will be available in '08. Bigger engine? Revo bagger? FLHXSE? Every single sales person I've talked to - Harley and not - has advised me to wait for the '08 lineup before I buy. If I knew that there were no big changes coming (or at least, none that I cared about that much), I might go ahead and buy now. Changes aren't always necessarily improvements, especially when it comes to personal-style items like high-end motorcycles.

Just seems like there would be a more equitable middle ground between telling everyone everything and the Pentagon-style secrecy they've got now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Every year I wonder the same thing. Why exactly does Harley keep all their new model year stuff so close-hold? I mean, I understand why they keep projects under development secret - everyone does that. But here we are, only a few weeks from the dealer show, and you can find nothing about '08 online besides rumos and speculation, and those have a spectacular record of being wrong. How many years have "people in the know" been predicting a Revo-powered bagger now?

The best I've done is the list of colors that will be available on existing models, but the dealerships say they "aren't allowed" to show me their '08 paint chip book! I mean, come on, paint chips! Let alone new models, options, which bikes will be CVOs, etc.

Contrast this with, for example, Victory - they've been pushing news about the Vision for months now.

I dunno, I just can't figure out exactly what the MoCo thinks it gains by keeping everything so hush-hush. Seems to me like at least letting some news slip to generate buzz would be helpful.
I guess they think they are pumpin' up the Buzz, raising interest, and curiosity, hoping to engender desire, then sales. Tho more likely, its much ado about nothing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't care what they pop-up with for '08. This '07 DX I just brought home, I just don't think they can come up with anything I would like any better. I never dreamed I would be this satisfied before this one came home!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Steve... So good to hear how well this DX is speaking to your heart, after such a long wait. Now you have a tale to tell! Hold on tight because I'm getting a bigger kick out of the DX with each ride, and the very first ride was one huge kick!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I heard they, now this is what I heard, are coming out with the new fatster. they lowered it and put a 300 tire on it. they also gave it a new beefy motor don't know what size but its supposed to have 150rwhp 125rwtq.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I heard they, now this is what I heard, are coming out with the new fatster. they lowered it and put a 300 tire on it. they also gave it a new beefy motor don't know what size but its supposed to have 150rwhp 125rwtq.
About time they started thinking in present day terms,,, who knows, they may actually learn something.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
Yea, seems like if they would drop a secret every now and again it would spark some discussion. Advertisement by word of mouth is a strong seller. The big three figured that out years ago. Chevrolet has been throwing a little bait ever so often for several years concerning the new Camaro.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think they keep it secret to try and sell the leftover stock on the floors before announcing new models.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
I think they keep it secret to try and sell the leftover stock on the floors before announcing new models.
Yes so they wont have to mark them down. Greed...Greed...Greed and yet we're still loyal, like an old dog.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Moco aways was and always will be Greed..Greed..Greed!!!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
About time they started thinking in present day terms,,, who knows, they may actually learn something.
I'm not sure i can handle the concept of the MoCo, actually building what the public wants to buy,,, i need to sit down a minit,,,,,, Then what could be next?? perhaps in 20 years, they will market a line of power chairs like the "Rascal" and some old geezers will be arguing over dunlops Vs Avon, saddle bags to carry one's depends,, (maybe H-Depends, and some preparation-H-D) and dont get me started on walkers with a Bar & shield.. heaven help us..:D

·
COB
1,984 Posts

I think they like to make the dealer show special. All the breaking news. Kinda like MacWorld.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I imagine. But still, think how much more buzz there would be if they let just a little news slip early. Like, say two months before the dealer show, they said: "There will be a Revo-engined bagger in the 2008 model year. Details in July." And then nothing else. Ohmifreakin gawd, the rumor mills would absolutely explode. All the moto mags would have big stories about it, there would be people clamoring for info.

Sorta like what the lady who writes the Harry Potter books does - lets slip just a liiiiitle info ahead of time, and gets everyone all excited and speculative.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, I imagine. But still, think how much more buzz there would be if they let just a little news slip early. Like, say two months before the dealer show, they said: "There will be a Revo-engined bagger in the 2008 model year. Details in July." And then nothing else. Ohmifreakin gawd, the rumor mills would absolutely explode. All the moto mags would have big stories about it, there would be people clamoring for info.

Sorta like what the lady who writes the Harry Potter books does - lets slip just a liiiiitle info ahead of time, and gets everyone all excited and speculative.
Valid points, I agree with you totally. I don't get it, a little info goes a long way toward generating excitement in a product...does that hurt sales?

I asked a salesman today at my local dealer what's in store for the 08 V-Rod, he looked at me like I was asking his 16 yr old daughter out on a date.

Barry

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
It would be hard to sell the '07 bagger if you thought that the '08 coming out in a few months had something better. How many '06 bikes would have sold if folks knew that the '07 bike would be a 6-speed, 96"?

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Too many dealers sitting on too much unsold inventory maybe?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts