Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have these 20,000+ dollar motorcycles ... with these wimpy little horns. WTF? And, the single horn is mounted by my left leg. I guess that's so I can hear it.

Now, my Wing has a REAL horn. Sounds like it's from a car. Perhaps Honda used a cager horn from one if it's cars to mount on the Wing. But, believe me, it's a REAL horn. I've mounted these on several other bikes ... the ZX14, the Councours C14, the VTX13 as well. I really like this horn.

But, I'm sure there are others. I'm wondering what others are using? I've used "air horns" on my Valkyrie, but don't care for those ... also, most of these collect rain.

I'm wondering in I can use some sort of shroud to cover a dual set of horns and mount them on the top center of the crash bar dealie?

What do you guys think?

·
Banned
853 Posts
Check out WOLO. They have different styles to fit the look you want. Are placed where the stock horn is. The stealerships sell them but you can get them cheaper online/ebay etc. Also get ahold of Eastern Performance Cycles.com. They will price match anybody and if you call them you'll find them very knowledgeable. They have a lot of Harley parts in stock in all brands. Hope this helps.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
37,149 Posts
Check out your local salvage yard for things that say "Cadillac" or "Lincoln".

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
I installed the Howard's Horn Dual Trumpet unit. It's pretty dang loud. It also comes with a couple of cones to cover the opening so they don't get as dirty, although I don't use 'em.

Another good thing about 'em is that you can take 'em apart and clean the diaphragms. On other trumpet-style horns, this is not an option.

When I installed it, I braced myself for how loud it would be and when I hit the button, I still jumped!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info, guys. Thanx.

I'm wondering if you need a wiring harness / horn button for the new horns, or can the oem HD stuff handle it?

WOLO Maxi-Loud in chrome looks good to me, and sounds great, too. Would need to figure out how to mount the suckers, tho.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Maybe it is because my previous experience is on sport bikes, but I was rather impressed with my Road King's horn.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You might want to check the Mini Beast, is not just loud but the pitch carries a long way, it brings everything you need, no external button, just run a separate wire to the battery and it uses a separate relay, and I like that it looks like the air cleaner, kind of gives the bike symmetry.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
My horn is loud and bad-ass and it is stock.:think

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
When I mounted my horns, I really didn't need any "harness." I just made sure I had all the wire necessary and all the electrical connectors, etc. It was relatively easy, although the instructions were a little vague in a couple spots. I actually re-wrote them in case anyone here needed 'em.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have the Wolo Bad Boy. Sound much better than the stock horn which I think is cloned from the '73 GMC Gremlin. I with you Bagger, my bike was 23 k and the horn was the first thing I changed. Easy install!

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Here's what you need. Nathan's Train Horns

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the Wolo Bad Boy. Sound much better than the stock horn which I think is cloned from the '73 GMC Gremlin. I with you Bagger, my bike was 23 k and the horn was the first thing I changed. Easy install!
Knash ... looked at the Bad Boy. Looks like you mounted it to the existing location of the oem?

I'm not very handy either. I'm about as mechanical as a bowling ball. So, installation needs to be EZ.

·
Registered
485 Posts
HOLY CHIT !!!!!!!!!!!

That would DEFINITELY cause some SERIOUS pucker !!!!!!:rollin:rollin:rollin:laugh:laugh:rollin:rollin:laugh

·
Señor Member
19,623 Posts
What kind of electrical draw does that beauty pull? Can the bike still produce spark while you've got the button pressed?? :laugh

·
Registered
693 Posts
Knash ... looked at the Bad Boy. Looks like you mounted it to the existing location of the oem?

I'm not very handy either. I'm about as mechanical as a bowling ball. So, installation needs to be EZ.
The install was actually easy. I installed it on my '03 in about an hour and 15 min. I took it off my '03 and installed on my'12 in about 40 min. Of course the 2nd time was easier but all in all not too bad.

It does mount in the original location. Maybe have one of you buddies helping you would be a good idea.

I don't know how much more of an electrical draw it is but I haven't noticed anything different. It is an air horn so the bike needs to be on.

It is loud and worth it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts