Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride an 03 anniversary lowrider, stock carbureted TC88, has about 65k on her. Suddenly developed a ticking or tapping noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear cylinder. Also at the same time the bike got louder and again it sounds like it's in the rear cylinder. It sounds as if someone had taken the baffle out of that pipe. That's the only way I can describe it. And also she's running like shit now. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions or has experienced this before? I would really appreciate any input.
Mahalo

·
Registered
38,509 Posts
Check to see of pushrods are loose when at TDC.

If so, you may have a bad lifter roller bearing. Would cause same sound you describe.

·
Just Ride
3,153 Posts
Cam tensioners ,65k at least check them.

Reactions: Smoketown$1

·
Senior Flatulant
1,095 Posts
Welcome from PA!

As stated above ... Lifters and, tensioners especially, have been a problem with the earlier twin cam motors.

"Rocker-Lockers" are a good add-on too.

Cheers,
Smoketown

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your input. Im thinking lifter. Im gonna start there and see what happens

·
Retired citizen
23,104 Posts
If the tensioners were replaced 3 years ago the lifters should also have been replaced too. OP should check his receipts.
I ride an 03 anniversary lowrider, stock carbureted TC88, has about 65k on her. Suddenly developed a ticking or tapping noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear cylinder. Also at the same time the bike got louder and again it sounds like it's in the rear cylinder. It sounds as if someone had taken the baffle out of that pipe. That's the only way I can describe it. And also she's running like shit now. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions or has experienced this before? I would really appreciate any input.
Mahalo
Rear exhaust gasket blew out maybe, problem matches the symptom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the tensioners were replaced 3 years ago the lifters should also have been replaced too. OP should check his receipts.

Rear exhaust gasket blew out maybe, problem matches the symptom.
Why should the lifters have been changed along with the chain tensioners? Never heard that one before. Am I missing something???
I just changed both exhaust seals yesterday. Sounds and runs the same.....
Like shit

·
Retired citizen
23,104 Posts
Why should the lifters have been changed along with the chain tensioners? Never heard that one before. Am I missing something???
I just changed both exhaust seals yesterday. Sounds and runs the same.....
Like shit
Standard procedure when servicing the cam chest and plate assembly. All parts that come in the service kit are supposed to be installed.
Now you've heard it !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts