Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2005 Super Glide for about a week now. I love it.
I was going through the owner's manual and learning about the bike. I decided to check the oil level just to be on the safe side.
This is going to sound crazy but I can't get the oil cover off. It just spins. I pried the metal cap off but the plastic cover underneath just won't turn. It is Saturday night so I can't call the dealer and I can't find anything on the internet that will clue me in as to what I am doing wrong.
So if you can offer any help to a newbie, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds like you need a new one. The metal cap and plastic inner should come out together along with the dip stick. There are a couple of rubber o rings on the plastic part that hold it in, you'll have to work it straight out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, they tend to be way too tight IMO. They don't spin off; they pull off. Get ahold of that sucker and kind of turn, rock, and pull all at the same time. Make believe that it's you bosses' neck and you're trying to pinch his head off.

Of course, if you managed to pry off the metal cap, you may indeed need a new one now. Hope not!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's exactly the info I needed. I just wasn't sure if it just pulled off or turned. Didn't want to break something the first week I had it. The metal cover still comes off but then I can pull off the plastic plug. I'll probably eventually replace it but is it good enough for now. Thanks for the help.

·
Retired citizen
22,061 Posts
You can clean the parts and glue the metal cover back on ... done it before !

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts